Author Topic: The Bartcast  (Read 336096 times)

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
Re: The Bartcast
« Reply #1695 on: October 14, 2018, 12:58:35 PM »
Woops... My posts appear to be upsetting people again.  :'(

Did you feel the same level of emotion when you clicked that praise button shortly after posting this?
Was it orgasmic praise?
I think it would have to be considering your feelings on a smiting.
I'm glad a simple message board can make people feel such strong emotion, both good and bad.

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1696 on: October 14, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
Quitting?

Sometimes the obvious is the most amusing.  lmao

And don't forget Boss..a good straight man is a valuable resource ;)
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #1697 on: October 14, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
I am pleased that English cuisine seems to be recovering from the ghastly horrors of the last century.  I can't quite figure out what went wrong.  My current theory is a combination of two factors: 

1.  Domestic service, which you guys employed pre-war to a far greater extent than anyone else, sullying the noble discipline with issues of status and class.  In practice, this meant that the few who could import French cooks ate well but the vast majority of middle-class aspirationals had to make do with the dubious inspirations of lower-class servants, who were often treated with contempt and exacted their vengeance through culinary means.

2.  Post-war convenience which, as a faddish race, you embraced whole-heartedly (powdered blancmange, powdered custard, food bought at department stores and takeouts), reducing your kitchen facilities to little beyond what was necessary to boil tea.

Traditional English cuisine has much to offer -- I am a particular devotee of boiled puddings -- but can you please call your temples something other than "gastropubs"?  For those of us raised to believe in silent, invisible digestion, it is an etymological disaster.

Luckily Gastropub owes it’s name to Gastronomy rather than Gastroenteritis.
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #1698 on: October 14, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »
Technically His Bartness is correct....

A toss is in fact masturbating, so you can have a tosser, who is a person who masturbates.

In the case of the colloquialism I used not giving a toss means to not care.

It really comes from the Latin root 'tussis', meaning 'cough'. I don't know how it became associated with Wanking, that famous Chinese province.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1699 on: October 14, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »
Luckily Gastropub owes it’s name to Gastronomy rather than Gastroenteritis.

Any reference to the organs of digestion should be avoided.  Hence "I'm satisfied" instead of the vulgar "I'm full".

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1700 on: October 14, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
Technically His Bartness is correct....

A toss is in fact masturbating, so you can have a tosser, who is a person who masturbates.

In the case of the colloquialism I used not giving a toss means to not care.

I understand. It makes me think that is a handy little word.

Get it?
Hee hee hee

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #1701 on: October 14, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
Any reference to the organs of digestion should be avoided.  Hence "I'm satisfied" instead of the vulgar "I'm full".

Oh, hark at Emily Post over here. It's disgusting when the lower orders start chiming in. I prefer 'stuffed to the gunwales ' in honour of our glorious naval heritage.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1702 on: October 14, 2018, 01:58:15 PM »
Oh, hark at Emily Post over here. It's disgusting when the lower orders start chiming in. I prefer 'stuffed to the gunwales ' in honour of our glorious naval heritage.

You step forward to defend that linguistic abomination?  Stomach pub, forsooth.  Just one letter off from an unfortunate consequence.  You guys will soon be nipping down to your local gastro -- doesn't that sound brill?

TigerLily

• Evil Temptress
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #1703 on: October 14, 2018, 01:59:57 PM »
OK, Miss (sorry, Ms) Snootydrawers. Don't question my comic timing. You obviously don't know what 'on the game' means. Get DH to explain.

A joke isn't funny if it needs to be explained. Know what I mean?
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #1704 on: October 14, 2018, 02:01:48 PM »
You step forward to defend that linguistic abomination?  Stomach pub, forsooth.  Just one letter off from an unfortunate consequence.  You guys will soon be nipping down to your local gastro -- doesn't that sound brill?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #1705 on: October 14, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
A joke isn't funny if it needs to be explained. Know what I mean?

First off, get knotted! Secondly, it wasn't aimed at you anyway; you chose to butt in and offer your opinion, whether it was wanted or not. Just wait for the truckload of rotting fruit coming your way the next time you attempt to be amusing.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #1706 on: October 14, 2018, 02:18:51 PM »

This sits very ill coming from a member of a nation that routinely debases our wonderful English language. It's like lending a copy of a favourite book to someone only to see it returned covered in ketchup and drool, with half the pages missing.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1707 on: October 14, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mommy and Daddy will explain it in the car on the way home, honey.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #1708 on: October 14, 2018, 02:41:58 PM »
This sits very ill coming from a member of a nation that routinely debases our wonderful English language. It's like lending a copy of a favourite book to someone only to see it returned covered in ketchup and drool, with half the pages missing.

This, from a man who can't write a limerick to save his life.  Oh, that the children of the Bard should go a-begging for a rhyme!

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #1709 on: October 14, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »
This, from a man who can't write a limerick to save his life. 

That contingency would seem a remote one.