Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 502252 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #570 on: November 14, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I'd like to take a ride on this showboat.  Notice that very long bridge in the backgroumd?  I count at least five spans.

Is it still floating around?  I'll let someone else have the fun of researching it.
It will not let me view the actual article because demands registration but Capt. Tom Reynolds who sold the Magestic fell into the river at 71 and drown, despite living and working on boats all his life.  The vessel seems to still be around but there are some questions on its future? Hope they keep it up. Last boat of its kind still around, apparently.

http://www.touringohio.com/southwest/hamilton/cincinnati/showboat-majestic.html

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/71989259

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #571 on: November 15, 2018, 01:28:35 AM »

"We have been spending today at a place called Yokohama + went for a drive. We saw lots of interesting things - this great big statue among them. It is hollow + we were allowed to go inside it.
Love from (mom?)"
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias William Burton Campbell
« Reply #572 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:28 AM »

"We have been spending today at a place called Yokohama + went for a drive. We saw lots of interesting things - this great big statue among them. It is hollow + we were allowed to go inside it.
Love from (mom?)"

Nice postcard, Spookcat, thank you.  June 13, 1936, right?  (I had to use my magnifying glass.) haha   

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #573 on: November 15, 2018, 02:14:58 AM »
Nice postcard, Spookcat, thank you.  June 13, 1936, right?  (I had to use my magnifying glass.) haha

Sorry ^^; Yes you are correct. Daibutsu is still standing today and you can still go inside.

From wikipedia:

The Great Buddha of Kamakura is a monumental outdoor bronze statue of Amitābha Buddha at the Kōtoku-in Temple in Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan. The bronze statue probably dates from 1252, in the Kamakura period, according to temple records. It was preceded by a giant wooden Buddha, which was completed in 1243 after ten years of continuous labor, the funds having been raised by Lady Inada (Inada-no-Tsubone) and the Buddhist priest Jōkō of Tōtōmi. That wooden statue was damaged by a storm in 1248, and the hall containing it was destroyed, so Jōkō suggested making another statue of bronze, and the huge amount of money necessary for this and for a new hall was raised for the project. The bronze image was probably cast by Ōno Gorōemon or Tanji Hisatomo, both leading casters of the time. At one time, the statue was gilded. There are still traces of gold leaf near the statue's ears.

The hall was destroyed by a storm in 1334, was rebuilt, was damaged by yet another storm in 1369, and was rebuilt yet again. The last building housing the statue was washed away in the tsunami resulting from the 1498 Meiō Nankaidō earthquake, during the Muromachi period. Since then, the Great Buddha has stood in the open air.

The statue is approximately 13.35 metres (43.8 ft) tall including the base and weighs approximately 93 tonnes (103 tons). The statue is hollow, and visitors can view the interior. Many visitors have left graffiti on the inside of the statue. At one time, there were thirty-two bronze lotus petals at the base of the statue, but only four remain, and they are no longer in place. A notice at the entrance to the grounds reads, "Stranger, whosoever thou art and whatsoever be thy creed, when thou enterest this sanctuary remember thou treadest upon ground hallowed by the worship of ages. This is the Temple of Buddha and the gate of the eternal, and should therefore be entered with reverence."

The 1923 Great Kanto earthquake destroyed the base the statue sits upon, but the base was repaired in 1925. Repairs to the statue were carried out in 1960–61, when the neck was strengthened and measures were taken to protect it from earthquakes.

In early 2016, further research, restoration, and preservation work was performed on the statue.

The statue is referred to as the ″Buddha at Kamakura″ in several verses that preface the initial chapters of the novel Kim by Rudyard Kipling (1901). The verses were taken from the poem of the same name the author wrote after visiting Kamakura in 1892. The poem appears in its entirety in Kipling′s poetry collection The Five Nations of 1903.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #574 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:16 AM »
Sorry ^^; Yes you are correct. Daibutsu is still standing today and you can still go inside.

No, don't be sorry!  You do such great work here on the postcard thread, and I really appreciate it.  Thanks for the info on the statue.  I would so love to go inside of it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #575 on: November 15, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »

Some info on Owanita Citrus Growers Association: http://floridacitrushalloffame.com/inductees/george-h-austin/

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #576 on: November 15, 2018, 08:54:10 PM »
It will not let me view the actual article because demands registration but Capt. Tom Reynolds who sold the Magestic fell into the river at 71 and drown, despite living and working on boats all his life.  The vessel seems to still be around but there are some questions on its future? Hope they keep it up. Last boat of its kind still around, apparently.

http://www.touringohio.com/southwest/hamilton/cincinnati/showboat-majestic.html

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/71989259

A gold star for mr. Albrecht.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #577 on: November 16, 2018, 12:45:12 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2018, 02:47:46 PM »

This looks to be a fun place to eat but sadly, nothing remains of it.  It looks as though the original building is no longer around either.

I was able to find a photo of their upstairs Kings Room, however.   https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollywoodplace/18653532153
I also located an interesting newspaper article concerning a cookbook that was published and it has recipes of some of the dishes cooked at the Coach Room.  https://newspaperarchive.com/bedford-gazette-jan-23-2014-p-6/
The restaurant was founded by Robert A. Barnhart.  Here is his obituary: https://www.berkebilefuneralhome.com/notices/Robert-Barnhart

Dancing queen

• Ellightened
« Reply #579 on: November 17, 2018, 06:00:15 PM »
thx for the fun collection

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #580 on: November 17, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #581 on: November 18, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
@Rikki Gins are you related to James Lileks?
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #582 on: November 18, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
@Rikki Gins are you related to James Lileks?

No @juan but I like the guy's name.  I do have a second cousin that writes for the New York Post, though I've never met him.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #583 on: November 20, 2018, 03:27:55 PM »

I just love postcards from the 1950's. 

Can we still take a tour of the production facilities at Kellogg's?  No.  Even the 'imitation-how our cereal is made' attraction is closed.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQCB
Thanks, OSHA.  In some ways, the 1950's were better.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #584 on: November 20, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »

I just love postcards from the 1950's. 

Thanks, OSHA.  In some ways, the 1950's were better.

I like how so many are wearing those paper hats! So funny. Speaking of which as a "kid" I watched a relative do some surgeries. I don't think the patients were consulted, I was just curious about his job and how surgeries worked. I didn't faint at the blood and the patient was already under general anesthesia, so never knew I was there. It was interesting. What seems like a miracle or stressful thing to them is just a days work. Now days hospitals and doctors so concerned about HIPPA and various laws that they barely will tell you if a person made it out of surgery without some written release etc, I can't imagine a doctor bringing some kid in to watch without a huge process, consultation with patient, paperwork, approval from risk manager, etc.