Author Topic: Microsoft will end support for Skype Classic in November  (Read 3316 times)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Microsoft will end support for Skype Classic in November
« on: September 28, 2018, 04:33:56 AM »

This summer, Microsoft pushed off the inevitable end of Skype Classic (7.0) support after a fair bit of user backlash. Nearly a month after the original September deadline, the company announced today that it’s going to pull the plug in November — for real this time.

The company is killing Skype 7 support on the desktop on November 1, following suit for mobile and tablets two weeks later on the 15th.

so we will get a slew of mostly useless features and not get the features that users want most. thanks $micro$oft.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

GrumpyOldMan

• KMST
Re: Microsoft will end support for Skype Classic in November
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:26:32 AM »
so we will get a slew of mostly useless features and not get the features that users want most. thanks $micro$oft.

That's MS in a nut shell, and it's been getting steadily worse year by year.  As much as I hate to admit it, I think the Clinton administration was right to want to break that company apart.  Considering the source, I assumed it was a cash grab since at that time, MS did not have lobbyists. 

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

This summer, Microsoft pushed off the inevitable end of Skype Classic (7.0) support after a fair bit of user backlash. Nearly a month after the original September deadline, the company announced today that it’s going to pull the plug in November — for real this time.

The company is killing Skype 7 support on the desktop on November 1, following suit for mobile and tablets two weeks later on the 15th.

The two big concerns I have is that users of 8 mention there is no way to turn of sounds, not sure if they fixed that yet.
The other concerns the goofy flashy layout and inability to make a compact screen. I like keeping a conversation on the side of the screen where it takes up just a corner.

Does anyone have screenshots of what we are going to have forced at us on their own system? (ie about how it looks when minimized to the toolbar, etc?) as a best case scenario? (Ie emoticons turned off, video turned off, etc, etc)

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 08:39:27 PM »
I did find out one piece of news such that I won't need to abandon skype with version 8 when its forced. They are bringing back the split view. With any luck they will also have a feature to not show an icon with every message.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »
I did find out one piece of news such that I won't need to abandon skype with version 8 when its forced. They are bringing back the split view. With any luck they will also have a feature to not show an icon with every message.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

i cant keep it hooked up full time when streaming. we cant have the skype noise going out, its bad radio and annoying to all.
so i have resorted to muting my mic and physically plugging and unplugging the device used for skype, to avoid that.
i had an idea last night to get rid of that and will test it when i feel better.

Malliard

• KNYE
    • The Malliard Report
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
Shakes my head.
Host of The Malliard Report

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 05:10:06 PM »
Shakes my head.
they want everyone to pay for skype. the "pro" version doesnt have these limitations.
you can get a business version with the purchase of ms office for $2/month per user.
you can get skype meetings (3 ppl per meeting) with the office 365 subscription. more if you want to pay monthly  for  a per person fee.
or you can use regular skype and put up with the BS.
no real conferencing
no ability to turn off skype sounds
$m$ keeps reducing the bandwidth for free skype
annoying features that no one wants.
etc.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34551/what-s-the-difference-between-skype-skype-meetings-and-skype-for-business

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 07:37:29 PM »
they want everyone to pay for skype. the "pro" version doesnt have these limitations.
you can get a business version with the purchase of ms office for $2/month per user.
you can get skype meetings (3 ppl per meeting) with the office 365 subscription. more if you want to pay monthly  for  a per person fee.
or you can use regular skype and put up with the BS.
no real conferencing
no ability to turn off skype sounds
$m$ keeps reducing the bandwidth for free skype
annoying features that no one wants.
etc.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34551/what-s-the-difference-between-skype-skype-meetings-and-skype-for-business

From what I can tell the skype for business doesn't have half of the crappy interface features being forced on personal skype, they knew no self-respecting business would put up with that.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 04:33:05 AM »
From what I can tell the skype for business doesn't have half of the crappy interface features being forced on personal skype, they knew no self-respecting business would put up with that.

$micro$ofts  idea is that you will pay for skype, to get the features back and the better interface.
i wish i could find a program that does the same thing for free. telegram comes very close.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »
Curtis and MV had a similar program they tried. Can’t remember what it was.
Merry Christmas

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 05:59:47 AM »
Curtis and MV had a similar program they tried. Can’t remember what it was.
that was mumble. its a text/voice server that is similar to skype, except i can host the server myself if i wish (as opposed to $m$ hosting it). the interface isnt terrible, but no the greatest either.

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
UPDATE:
They are forcing the update now. Your classic skype 7.41 will log off automatically with one last whine, and you will not be able to log back in until you have installed the 8.30 update.

As anticipated it is a UI disaster that can't even keep your status straight. If you are normally set to invisible it will automatically put you "online"

I have logged out of it completely. Iv'e prearranged with regular contacts that if we want to chat or talk via skype we will arrange when via email.

Skype is officially dead and now just a fallback to any other mode of communication that can be arranged.