Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 22829 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Hurricane Florence
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:04:42 PM »
Looks like it is our turn here in the Carolina's for a thrashing.   Can't imaging it will be anything like what Houston or Puerto Rico
went through but it will definitely suck.   Smithfield has already announced the big Hog Plant will be closing over in Tar Heel, NC so
this is serious business!

I'll post any interesting updates and if anyone else is here in the Carolina's please do the same.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
Looks like it is our turn here in the Carolina's for a thrashing.   Can't imaging it will be anything like what Houston or Puerto Rico
went through but it will definitely suck.   Smithfield has already announced the big Hog Plant will be closing over in Tar Heel, NC so

I'll post any interesting updates and if anyone else is here in the Carolina's please do the same.

Folks I know on Hilton Head not leaving. Friends in S.C. near Beauford maybe left? Not sure, call unanswered. If not leaving regions I would stock up, esp.as hog farms etc flood out. The rain levels expected high. Harvey stalled, came back out, n back in dumping water like crazy. Then res releases to protect areas if dams failed n water nowhere to go (pressure etc) so bad. It wasnt the wind but the water volume. Thats Houston. Further down coast it was more the 'storm' that did damage. Rockport etc. Hope it aint bad for you and area. Have water, shut off gas and elec, move stuff upstairs, have masks, Tyvex suits, etc if you stay. Canned goods, flashlights, guns, wetwipes, WATER, handcleaner, bleach, supply of whatever meds needed, gloves. If you use generator, propane grill, camp stoves be aware of CO. Dont run inside. Dont connect to house unless you have prepared circuit (can shock linemen repairing things.) Know your neighbors, organize contingency plans, look out for elderly etc, let neighbors or LEO know you are staying on in house, esp if most left or during rehab, lest someone think you are looter, etc. Good luck...

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 06:50:38 PM »
Stay safe, my friend. ;)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »
Folks I know on Hilton Head not leaving. Friends in S.C. near Beauford maybe left? Not sure, call unanswered. If not leaving regions I would stock up, esp.as hog farms etc flood out. The rain levels expected high. Harvey stalled, came back out, n back in dumping water like crazy. Then res releases to protect areas if dams failed n water nowhere to go (pressure etc) so bad. It wasnt the wind but the water volume. Thats Houston. Further down coast it was more the 'storm' that did damage. Rockport etc. Hope it aint bad for you and area. Have water, shut off gas and elec, move stuff upstairs, have masks, Tyvex suits, etc if you stay. Canned goods, flashlights, guns, wetwipes, WATER, handcleaner, bleach, supply of whatever meds needed, gloves. If you use generator, propane grill, camp stoves be aware of CO. Dont run inside. Dont connect to house unless you have prepared circuit (can shock linemen repairing things.) Know your neighbors, organize contingency plans, look out for elderly etc, let neighbors or LEO know you are staying on in house, esp if most left or during rehab, lest someone think you are looter, etc. Good luck...

All good advice.   I'll post what I'm up to so you Pro's can critique my Prep work.   My biggest fear is the Nuke plant down the road.   It seems as if they are always doing stupid shit over there - we'll see how Homer J. Simpson and the boys handle this one.

So far:

Gas: got one Vehicle set up with a full tank of Gas [was a bitch to find but got 'er done]

Food: Plenty of canned goods, boxed dry food and our 30 days of storable food kit.  In great shape.

Water:  The city assures us that we'll have no water problems but I some stashed away and will fill the laundry sink, bath tub and I'll fill a rubbish can up out in the garage for toilet usage if need be.

Security:  My Old Man always said "Son, if you put a man down with a .45 he stays down.  Not always the case with a .38 or a .22 "   Don't anticipate a problem but you never know

Hot Food:  Got extra propane for the grill.  In good shape there.

Right now working on Laundry - washing all the bedding etc and meticulously cleaning every inch of the house.  If I don't have power for a week, don't want to be cleaning in 90 degree heat

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 07:26:40 PM »
Ok,  This is getting kinda serious.  Check out the latest advisory from the NHC:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/112344.shtml

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
Next complete advisory at 1100 PM AST.

$$
Forecaster Pasch

Old Pasch himself is on the case:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/staff/Pasch_bio_2018.pdf

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:13:32 PM »

don't forget the Duct Tape when prepping.... for anything.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
All good advice.   I'll post what I'm up to so you Pro's can critique my Prep work.   My biggest fear is the Nuke plant down the road.   It seems as if they are always doing stupid shit over there - we'll see how Homer J. Simpson and the boys handle this one.

So far:

Gas: got one Vehicle set up with a full tank of Gas [was a bitch to find but got 'er done]

Food: Plenty of canned goods, boxed dry food and our 30 days of storable food kit.  In great shape.

Water:  The city assures us that we'll have no water problems but I some stashed away and will fill the laundry sink, bath tub and I'll fill a rubbish can up out in the garage for toilet usage if need be.

Security:  My Old Man always said "Son, if you put a man down with a .45 he stays down.  Not always the case with a .38 or a .22 "   Don't anticipate a problem but you never know

Right now working on Laundry - washing all the bedding etc and meticulously cleaning every inch of the house.  If I don't have power for a week, don't want to be cleaning in 90 degree heat
Sounds all good. Idk the conditions there but if a low-lying area etc and you have time move stuff, secure water-proof containers photo albums etc.

Very important: know where and have water/proofed container easily 'grabbed' with whatever legal docs. Ids, passports, deed, various insurance docs, contact info of docs insurance agents ,etc. Also good to have bug-out bag in case you need to flee. Meds, med list, also. I would also take pics of stuff, ensure insurance coverage on all updated and current, etc.
Good luck. All of us thinking of y'all over there. Hope is not bad. The nuclear etc facilities are worrying...

Evil Twin Of Zen

• Drone Pilot
  • Let'em wonder, that's MY motto.....
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »

So far:

i have this in all of my prep kits..

show them you mean business and pack this with the reading material...

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
Ok,  This is getting kinda serious.  Check out the latest advisory from the NHC:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/112344.shtml

Old Pasch himself is on the case:  https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/staff/Pasch_bio_2018.pdf
140 MPH winds.  pressure 27.93.   Very high winds and really low pressure. :o

Yeah, um, maybe move inland more?  Be safe, WAN.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »
i have this in all of my prep kits..

show them you mean business and pack this with the reading material...

Well I did stop by the library today and picked this up.  Figured it would tie up a lot of hours if there is an extended power outage.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »

Well I did stop by the library today and picked this up.  Figured it would tie up a lot of hours if there is an extended power outage.

Give a review by candlelight and HAM relay on the "just read thread" here. Had you told I could've sent you a set of the Durant's "History of Civilation" or Gibbon (somehow I keep getting sets from dead relatives or estate sales.) Hate to see Classics pulped and used book stores don't. TL/DR culture.

Kidding hope all goes well. My points were more about the potential flood n recovery aspects. The wind aspects have some different prep. Batten down windows, trim or take down suspect trees, have place in middle of house or basement to hunker down,

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
Give a review by candlelight and HAM relay on the "just read thread" here. Had you told I could've sent you a set of the Durant's "History of Civilation" or Gibbon (somehow I keep getting sets from dead relatives or estate sales.) Hate to see Classics pulped and used book stores don't. TL/DR culture.

Kidding hope all goes well. My points were more about the potential flood n recovery aspects. The wind aspects have some different prep. Batten down windows, trim or take down suspect trees, have place in middle of house or basement to hunker down,

yeah - tomorrow I gotta go pick all the pears off of Mrs. Walks' Pear Tree.  Other wise the damn things will turn into hand grenades flinging around in the fierce winds.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »
yeah - tomorrow I gotta go pick all the pears off of Mrs. Walks' Pear Tree.  Other wise the damn things will turn into hand grenades flinging around in the fierce winds.
I reckon places already outta plywood etc for windows. Lacking that even tape can be better than nothing. Idk the reality but 'old timers' used to say open slightly some windows during hurricanes or bad storms. Supposedly pressure changes could effect houses even if not 'direct hit?' Idk if true. Stay safe...

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »
140 MPH winds.  pressure 27.93.   Very high winds and really low pressure. :o

Yeah, um, maybe move inland more?  Be safe, WAN.

Gonna stick it out until Mrs. WAN gets back from overseas (Monday night)  and then we'll go from there. 

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »
Gonna stick it out until Mrs. WAN gets back from overseas (Monday night)  and then we'll go from there.

This Weather Channel live feed started about 4 hours ago.  Not sure how long it will last till they start a new live feed.