Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512007 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #2775 on: June 02, 2021, 06:12:45 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here would be a good place to get away to for the Memorial Day weekend.

Pretty

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #2776 on: June 05, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howe_Caverns

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2777 on: June 05, 2021, 02:14:26 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howe_Caverns

Well I've been there. We took a tour in the caverns. Before you leave, they take a moment and shut off the lights so you can see how dark it is. It was black.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2778 on: June 05, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »
Is that the place where they caught all the mob members?
Merry Christmas

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2779 on: June 05, 2021, 04:53:53 PM »
Is that the place where they caught all the mob members?

No, that was Apalachin, New York.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2780 on: June 05, 2021, 05:12:35 PM »
No, that was Apalachin, New York.
Then they should have gone to this place.
Merry Christmas

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2781 on: June 05, 2021, 06:31:44 PM »
Then they should have gone to this place.

This was the house

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #2782 on: June 06, 2021, 05:22:51 PM »
@Rikki Gins Thought of you today. Walking around an antique store and saw leather postcards from 1906-1908. Do you have any leather postcards?

Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2783 on: June 08, 2021, 11:26:53 AM »
@Rikki Gins Thought of you today. Walking around an antique store and saw leather postcards from 1906-1908. Do you have any leather postcards?

@GravitySucks  No, I don't have any leather postcards in my collection.  I do like the price shown in the photo, $4.95 each.  One should never pay over five bucks for a postcard, unless there is something really special about it.  But wait, Grav!  Look at those glass juicers in your picture.  Those might very well be made of Vaseline glass, a type of glassware that was once produced by mixing actual uranium into the molten glass.  Now those I did collect some years back.  I've got vases, a measuring cup, some figurines, some trays and a glass juicer like the ones shown, only mine is straight, not tilted.  The cool thing about Vaseline ware is that you can easily test them for authenticity.  You simply expose them to a blacklight and if they are the real thing, they will glow.  You might wonder if it is safe to have radioactive glassware in your house and the answer is yes.  The amount of uranium contained in the glass is minute.  I've had my Vaseline items for years, and I have yet to grow an extra toe or finger.   

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2784 on: June 08, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
@GravitySucks  No, I don't have any leather postcards in my collection.  I do like the price shown in the photo, $4.95 each.  One should never pay over five bucks for a postcard, unless there is something really special about it.  But wait, Grav!  Look at those glass juicers in your picture.  Those might very well be made of Vaseline glass, a type of glassware that was once produced by mixing actual uranium into the molten glass.  Now those I did collect some years back.  I've got vases, a measuring cup, some figurines, some trays and a glass juicer like the ones shown, only mine is straight, not tilted.  The cool thing about Vaseline ware is that you can easily test them for authenticity.  You simply expose them to a blacklight and if they are the real thing, they will glow.  You might wonder if it is safe to have radioactive glassware in your house and the answer is yes.  The amount of uranium contained in the glass is minute.  I've had my Vaseline items for years, and I have yet to grow an extra toe or finger.

My aunt had fiestaware years ago. Her son got a job at Indian Point NY. There was a story going around about fiestaware being radioactive. He took the dishes into work to have them tested. The dishes were so "hot" they confiscated them. Although I don't know if it is related, my aunt was diagnosed with leukemia years later but when the slides of the cells were re-examined later, it wasn't leukemia. The cells were abnormal but I don't recall if there was another diagnosis.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2785 on: June 12, 2021, 11:55:56 AM »
My aunt had fiestaware years ago. Her son got a job at Indian Point NY. There was a story going around about fiestaware being radioactive. He took the dishes into work to have them tested. The dishes were so "hot" they confiscated them. Although I don't know if it is related, my aunt was diagnosed with leukemia years later but when the slides of the cells were re-examined later, it wasn't leukemia. The cells were abnormal but I don't recall if there was another diagnosis.

The red glazed fiesta ware plates were the 'hottest'.  Especially if you ate off one that was slightly chipped.   

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2786 on: June 12, 2021, 12:19:00 PM »
The red glazed fiesta ware plates were the 'hottest'.  Especially if you ate off one that was slightly chipped.   

I maintain that kitchens are too dangerous to venture into. Radiation, fire, sharp knives...I stay away.   ;D

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2787 on: June 12, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2788 on: June 12, 2021, 01:39:36 PM »
I maintain that kitchens are too dangerous to venture into. Radiation, fire, sharp knives...I stay away.   ;D
How do you eat?
Merry Christmas

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2789 on: June 12, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »
How do you eat?

I have a brave husband.