Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512065 times)

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2018, 06:01:38 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Here are some more pics and a postcard from the U.S.S. Huron's tour of the Philippines back in 1925 and 1926.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
At  last, a restaurant where we can gather at to eat because it is still open.

Brennan's Restaurant in New Orleans.  In fact it is kind of an institution in the Crescent City.  Kind of ritzy too.  We dudes aren't allowed to wear tank tops, cut-offs or athletic shorts. 

Info on Brennan's: http://www.brennansneworleans.com/
                            http://www.frenchquarter.com/brennan-family-legacy/

What say I order us the Grilled Prime New York Strip with Braised Gem Lettuce, Potato Gaufrettes, and Northshore Chanterelle Vinaigrette.  That is a $42.00 dollar dish, so I figure 2,000 EllGabbers, comes out to $84,000.00.  Well boys, looks like I might be needing some help with the tip.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »

The fish come pretty big up there in Toronto - Ontario, Canada.  At least they did back in 1910.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #169 on: August 15, 2018, 06:37:45 PM »
This postcard shows President Reagan honoring some notables back in 1981.  Cary Grant is there, sitting next to Helen Hayes.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #170 on: August 16, 2018, 07:08:08 PM »
This interesting postcard shows a French war memorial statue that was put in place sometime after the war ended.  Dedicated to those who died (possibly from a certain town) from 1914 to 1918.

If I read the date correctly, the postcard was mailed on August 29, 1924. The German Reichstag voted 314 to 117 to accept the London protocol on the Dawes report. The Dawes Plan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawes_Plan) dealt with the problems that arose with the initial reparations that were placed on Germany shortly after WWI.  Erich Ludendorff didn't like it.  He marched out after the vote and called it "infamous".  Also on August 29, 1924,  Edward, Prince of Wales arrived in New York City aboard the RMS Berengaria and began his visit to the United States and Canada.  And finally, comedian Buddy Hackett would be born two days later on the 31st.

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2018, 07:35:39 PM »
Bon souvenir is good (happy) memory
Affectueux baiser is affectionate kiss.

When people say baiser now they are usually referring to sex but this was a different time, Mr Rikki!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2018, 07:47:43 PM »
Bon souvenir is good (happy) memory
Affectueux baiser is affectionate kiss.

When people say baiser now they are usually referring to sex but this was a different time, Mr Rikki!

Oh thank you, Bart.  I really appreciate the nice info. 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Some more info -

Place Du Poilu had me confused. I know poilu as hairy but it turns out it refers to French World War I infantryman.

A ses enfants la commune reconnaissante means to our children, a grateful community.

Patrie means country.

I found one page with some info. It's in French but one thing that stuck out was this -

Au recensement de 1911, Saint-Alban-des-Villards compte 511 habitants ; 49 sont morts pour la France, soit 9.5 % de la population

In the 1911 census, Saint-Alban-des-Villards had 511 inhabitants; 49 died for France, or 9.5% of the population.

http://www.saint-alban-des-villards.fr/notre-village/patrimoine.html

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #174 on: August 16, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
Some more info -

Place Du Poilu had me confused. I know poilu as hairy but it turns out it refers to French World War I infantryman.

A ses enfants la commune reconnaissante means to our children, a grateful community.

Patrie means country.

I found one page with some info. It's in French but one thing that stuck out was this -

In the 1911 census, Saint-Alban-des-Villards had 511 inhabitants; 49 died for France, or 9.5% of the population.

http://www.saint-alban-des-villards.fr/notre-village/patrimoine.html

Wahoo!  I was hoping you would come up with some more translations.  Nice link and fun to see the statue in color.  Thanks again, Bart.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
An unsent, World War One postcard.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »

Buffalo Bill

Another Buffalo Bill postcard.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »

Bingo!  We get to eat at this cool looking restaurant in Dubuque, Illinois.  Timmerman's Supper club was founded back in 1961 and it is still there to this day. 

Info on Timmerman's: http://timmermanssupperclub.com/about-us/

Grandma and Marion took six people (including the lady who wrote on the postcard) to Timmerman's for dinner on September 25, 1960.  If there were any baseball fans in the party, they might have been aware that for the first time since 1927, the Pirates clinched the NL pennant and the New York Yankees clinched the AL pennant.  Also, the Phillies beat the Reds 7-1, ending 16 consecutive Sunday loses. 

One item of news might have been on everyon's minds, since the club was run by a lady who demanded certain aspects of ettiquite (see link above) while dining at her establishment;  Emily Post, author of books on etiquette, died at the age of 86 on September 25, 1960.

But enough of the past.  What do you want to eat?  How about we go for the Famous Seafood Platter for $36.00?  Slipper lobster, Alaskan king crab legs, scallops, shrimp, and cod; our choice of deep fried or broiled with butter. All served with drawn butter and cocktail sauce. Yum!

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2018, 02:58:21 PM »

Bingo!  We get to eat at this cool looking restaurant in Dubuque, Illinois.  Timmerman's Supper club was founded back in 1961 and it is still there to this day. 

Info on Timmerman's: http://timmermanssupperclub.com/about-us/

Grandma and Marion took six people (including the lady who wrote on the postcard) to Timmerman's for dinner on September 25, 1960.  If there were any baseball fans in the party, they might have been aware that for the first time since 1927, the Pirates clinched the NL pennant and the New York Yankees clinched the AL pennant.  Also, the Phillies beat the Reds 7-1, ending 16 consecutive Sunday loses. 

One item of news might have been on everyon's minds, since the club was run by a lady who demanded certain aspects of ettiquite (see link above) while dining at her establishment;  Emily Post, author of books on etiquette, died at the age of 86 on September 25, 1960.

But enough of the past.  What do you want to eat?  How about we go for the Famous Seafood Platter for $36.00?  Slipper lobster, Alaskan king crab legs, scallops, shrimp, and cod; our choice of deep fried or broiled with butter. All served with drawn butter and cocktail sauce. Yum!

I went to a Supper Club recently when I was up in Wisconsin. No dancing though, mainly just cocktails and then dinner. Apparently "Supper Clubs" it is a Upper Midwestern thing that is still going on strong, at least in Wisconsin. I had a G&T on the deck prior, hors d'oeuvres (radishes, cheeses, fresh bread, and some fried duck), a salad with blue cheese dressing, and then a good meal of fried perch (large portion), baked potato, and green beans,  and enjoyed an Old Fashioned (brandy since that's the way they like them there) to watch the sunset over the river and trees.

ps: wow, apparently there are a lot of Supper Clubs still in operation and still popular (though look at the teen and youth demographic but that would make sense since drinking ages etc.)
https://www.wisconsinsupperclubs.net/wisconsin-supper-clubs-gaining-popularity/