Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512083 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #2835 on: August 26, 2021, 11:47:14 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

(Houston, Texas, not New Orleans, Louisiana.)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2836 on: September 06, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

A Labor Day spent at the beach would be fun.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #2837 on: September 06, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »

A Labor Day spent at the beach would be fun.

That  looks like fun

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2838 on: October 10, 2021, 12:03:09 PM »
I went browsing at an antique store today just to pass the time away.  Wow, they had some good stuff.  Not much money to spend, but because of @Rikki Gins I'm always curious to look through the post cards and occasionally I'll purchase a couple, as I did today.  Here's one:

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2839 on: October 10, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »
Here's another:

Addressed to a Mr. Otto Schmidbauer.

From your friend
Hazel W.

Postmarked in East Liverpool Ohio which is about 50 or so miles west of Pittsburgh, PA.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2840 on: October 10, 2021, 03:00:24 PM »
I went browsing at an antique store today just to pass the time away.  Wow, they had some good stuff.  Not much money to spend, but because of @Rikki Gins I'm always curious to look through the post cards and occasionally I'll purchase a couple, as I did today.  Here's one:

I don't understand this one.  ???

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2841 on: October 10, 2021, 03:30:04 PM »
Looks like a bill stamped paid.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2842 on: October 10, 2021, 03:35:39 PM »
I don't understand this one.  ???

Looks like a bill stamped paid.

A receipt for a $2 monthly payment on his policy (payment #91)?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2843 on: October 10, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »

I like this one a lot.  I really wish they put more rare stamps on postcards back then  ::)

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2844 on: October 10, 2021, 03:38:22 PM »
Addressed to a Mr. Otto Schmidbauer.

From your friend
Hazel W.

Postmarked in East Liverpool Ohio which is about 50 or so miles west of Pittsburgh, PA.

Was Hazel hoping to become Mrs Schmidbauer?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2845 on: October 10, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »

Good cards, @ShayP.  What makes them fascinating is searching for things on them that you wouldn't usually pay any attention to, like the stamp used to mail the postcard.  That is  a 1 cent Washington stamp that was issued by the U.S. Post Office between 1908 and 1922.  There was a similar stamp issued at the same time, with the same design, only it had Ben Franklin's side profile on it.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%E2%80%93Franklin_Issues)  One more thing about that stamp, Shay.  Did you know that it came off a roll of stamps at the Utica post office?  Notice that the top and bottom of the stamp are smooth, with perforations on the sides.  That stamp was joined with others like it and rolled up so that the postal clerk could hang it on a nail and wait for Mr. ShayP to come in and request 6 one cent stamps.  The clerk would then go to the one cent stamp roll and pull down six of them, and that's how you would receive them, six one cent stamps still joined together at the sides.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2846 on: October 10, 2021, 03:56:20 PM »
A receipt for a $2 monthly payment on his policy (payment #91)?

Yes, and it looks like he got the payment in with just one day to spare.  Those insurance companies were set up to cover traveling salesmen and the like.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2847 on: October 10, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »
Was Hazel hoping to become Mrs Schmidbauer?

There are some Schmidbauers at Find A Grave that might be Otto.  This one in particular.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44176574/otto-a-schmidbauer 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2848 on: October 10, 2021, 05:45:57 PM »
Good cards, @ShayP.  What makes them fascinating is searching for things on them that you wouldn't usually pay any attention to, like the stamp used to mail the postcard.  That is  a 1 cent Washington stamp that was issued by the U.S. Post Office between 1908 and 1922.  There was a similar stamp issued at the same time, with the same design, only it had Ben Franklin's side profile on it.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%E2%80%93Franklin_Issues)  One more thing about that stamp, Shay.  Did you know that it came off a roll of stamps at the Utica post office?  Notice that the top and bottom of the stamp are smooth, with perforations on the sides.  That stamp was joined with others like it and rolled up so that the postal clerk could hang it on a nail and wait for Mr. ShayP to come in and request 6 one cent stamps.  The clerk would then go to the one cent stamp roll and pull down six of them, and that's how you would receive them, six one cent stamps still joined together at the sides.

Thank you for the information. @Rikki Gins   I was not aware that the stamp came off a roll.  Interesting.  I have to go through my collection.  I know I have the Washington stamp but it's perforated on all four sides.  I think I may have some others that came from a roll.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2849 on: October 10, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »
Oh, and can anybody explain to me why the postcard from Hazel to Otto only has his street with no number, and no name of the city?