Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512083 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #2865 on: February 15, 2022, 12:30:00 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Happy Saint Valentines Day!  (Note the date that the card was sent.)

I get a kick out of it stating "YUM YUM."   ;D

I think I have that stamp.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #2866 on: February 15, 2022, 02:02:10 PM »
I get a kick out of it stating "YUM YUM."   ;D

I think I have that stamp.

Yes, I think you have that stamp, @ShayP.  That Franklin stamp is part of the Series of 1902 stamps that were printed from 1902 to 1908.  Rare versions of that stamp are worth $10,000 but our used ones are worth, hold your breath, 25 cents.   ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2867 on: February 15, 2022, 03:50:41 PM »
Yes, I think you have that stamp, @ShayP.  That Franklin stamp is part of the Series of 1902 stamps that were printed from 1902 to 1908.  Rare versions of that stamp are worth $10,000 but our used ones are worth, hold your breath, 25 cents.   ;D

Thanks for putting those numbers in my head. @Rikki Gins  :P ;) ;D  I have hundreds of stamps and I've been meaning to go through them.  It's such a tedious process though.  Quite a few are in fine to mint condition.  If I do have the rare type you mentioned, you will get 10%.  I give you my word.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2868 on: February 15, 2022, 06:31:44 PM »

If someone wants to buy one from a dealer that's what they'll pay, just because they have to put some price on it.  Heh, try selling one.

Having said that, a post card with a stamp is worth more than one that's been torn off...

On this postcard, I like the waving flag cancellation with the original 13 stars.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2869 on: February 15, 2022, 06:42:16 PM »
Thanks for putting those numbers in my head. @Rikki Gins  :P ;) ;D  I have hundreds of stamps and I've been meaning to go through them.  It's such a tedious process though.  Quite a few are in fine to mint condition.  If I do have the rare type you mentioned, you will get 10%.  I give you my word.

In general what stamps do you have, and where did you get them? Someone must have collected them if they are unused and kept together.

Not too long ago I came across a number of stamp albums full of stamps mostly from the 1850s up to around WWII.  I suspect any valuable ones were harvested and sold individually (maybe on Ebay), leaving just the more common ones.  Regardless of value, it's cool looking at the really old ones.  They're from all over the world, even countries that no longer exist.  Europe, various European colonies, Asia, Latin America, US, pre-WWI empires, etc.

I like some of the ones with the edges, lettering, and colors done in art deco style, or the early airmail stamps with images of old airplanes.  I really need to put them all together in one album with the stamps I collected as a kid.  Ok, I should at least take them out and look at them again.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2870 on: February 15, 2022, 07:56:59 PM »
In general what stamps do you have, and where did you get them? Someone must have collected them if they are unused and kept together.

Not too long ago I came across a number of stamp albums full of stamps mostly from the 1850s up to around WWII.  I suspect any valuable ones were harvested and sold individually (maybe on Ebay), leaving just the more common ones.  Regardless of value, it's cool looking at the really old ones.  They're from all over the world, even countries that no longer exist.  Europe, various European colonies, Asia, Latin America, US, pre-WWI empires, etc.

I like some of the ones with the edges, lettering, and colors done in art deco style, or the early airmail stamps with images of old airplanes.  I really need to put them all together in one album with the stamps I collected as a kid.  Ok, I should at least take them out and look at them again.

@PB  I have a variety of U.S. stamps from the mid-1800's through the 1970's.  I also have a random collection of stamps from Eastern Bloc countries, the Virgin Islands, Antigua, Asian countries, and Australia.  I may have others but I haven't sorted them out.

My Grandmother is the one who got me into collecting stamps.  Back in the late 70's.  I think I was 9 or 10 years old.  Not sure why she did but I took to it and continued for many years.  I grew to appreciate the artistry of them and the history.  The "What if's."  Maybe the stamp in my hand was sent by a person of stature, or just a loving parent mailing something to their child way back when?   

I also was given a small collection from my great-uncle and they were in very fine condition.  Some unused.  He was going to throw them out.  Plus a friend of mine years ago didn't want the ones his mother had after she passed way.  He offered and I gladly took them.  He too was going to throw them out.

Like you, I admire the style and nuances of the stamps.  Perforations, colors, artistry, etc.  I may have some art deco style stamps.  I do have a few beautiful stamps that could be framed.  Magyar Posta stamps especially.  Very vibrant.  Like having a small portrait.

Fortunately I have been able to sell some of my stamps even though it's difficult to get value.  I try not to think that I was bamboozled, but the risk I took.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2871 on: February 15, 2022, 08:29:46 PM »
@PB  I have a variety of U.S. stamps from the mid-1800's through the 1970's.  I also have a random collection of stamps from Eastern Bloc countries, the Virgin Islands, Antigua, Asian countries, and Australia.  I may have others but I haven't sorted them out.

My Grandmother is the one who got me into collecting stamps.  Back in the late 70's.  I think I was 9 or 10 years old.  Not sure why she did but I took to it and continued for many years.  I grew to appreciate the artistry of them and the history.  The "What if's."  Maybe the stamp in my hand was sent by a person of stature, or just a loving parent mailing something to their child way back when?   

I also was given a small collection from my great-uncle and they were in very fine condition.  Some unused.  He was going to throw them out.  Plus a friend of mine years ago didn't want the ones his mother had after she passed way.  He offered and I gladly took them.  He too was going to throw them out.

Like you, I admire the style and nuances of the stamps.  Perforations, colors, artistry, etc.  I may have some art deco style stamps.  I do have a few beautiful stamps that could be framed.  Magyar Posta stamps especially.  Very vibrant.  Like having a small portrait.

Fortunately I have been able to sell some of my stamps even though it's difficult to get value.  I try not to think that I was bamboozled, but the risk I took.

That's really cool, you have a nice collection.

I also appreciated the artistry, history, nuances and such.  That's what I thought too - that each was a tiny work of art.  Growing up I learned about various countries by looking at their stamps and finding out what they depicted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2872 on: February 16, 2022, 03:51:20 PM »

Thanks, @ShayP for your generous offer to give me a portion of your rare stamp sale.  Of course, it works both ways.  I'll not forget you when I win a million dollar plus lottery.  I haven't been playing due to covid, but I'll start back up one of these days.  I used to play it fairly regularly back in the day.  Every once in awhile I'd win twenty dollars, but mostly five bucks or so.  I had better luck with the scratch off cards.  I won 100 bucks a couple of times.  Anyway, we can dream, right?

Here is my favorite postage stamp.  Printed back in 1919, I believe, to commemorate WWI.  Those flags represent the nations that fought in the conflict.  I have three or four of these stamps, all used.  I think they went down in value because I've seen some unused stamps going for what I used to pay for used ones, back when I was purchasing stamps from the Mystic Stamp Company.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2873 on: February 16, 2022, 04:21:53 PM »
Million?  I don’t bother buying a ticket until the jackpot gets over 100-million.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2874 on: February 16, 2022, 06:50:08 PM »
Thanks, @ShayP for your generous offer to give me a portion of your rare stamp sale.  Of course, it works both ways.  I'll not forget you when I win a million dollar plus lottery.  I haven't been playing due to covid, but I'll start back up one of these days.  I used to play it fairly regularly back in the day.  Every once in awhile I'd win twenty dollars, but mostly five bucks or so.  I had better luck with the scratch off cards.  I won 100 bucks a couple of times.  Anyway, we can dream, right?

Here is my favorite postage stamp.  Printed back in 1919, I believe, to commemorate WWI.  Those flags represent the nations that fought in the conflict.  I have three or four of these stamps, all used.  I think they went down in value because I've seen some unused stamps going for what I used to pay for used ones, back when I was purchasing stamps from the Mystic Stamp Company.

Very nice stamp. @Rikki Gins  Yes, we can dream.  Ya never know.  If my Franklin stamp is a dud, I'll tape 3 pennies to a postcard  ;) and send it off to you.

If I played the lottery and won I'd become more paranoid than I am now.  I would question if it was real or not, and if I'd lose the ticket.   ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2875 on: February 17, 2022, 09:14:11 AM »

I also appreciated the artistry, history, nuances and such.  That's what I thought too - that each was a tiny work of art.  Growing up I learned about various countries by looking at their stamps and finding out what they depicted.

I like that.  I do not have any stamps from Africa. I too learned about different counties because the stamp was a curiosity and I wanted to find out information about the place of origin.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #2876 on: February 17, 2022, 09:26:26 AM »

Yes, indeed.

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #2877 on: February 17, 2022, 09:58:37 AM »
I like that.  I do not have any stamps from Africa. I too learned about different counties because the stamp was a curiosity and I wanted to find out information about the place of origin.

When I went to China in 1986, I was thrilled to be able to buy stamps from places like Cuba, North Korea, Laos (below), and Nicaragua, at the time selling and buying products from those countries was banned in the US.  I had a side collection going of stamps featuring Halley's Comet (last seen that year) and added those to it.  It was odd that they'd never been used but they all had a cancellation mark in the corner

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2878 on: February 21, 2022, 01:12:16 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2879 on: March 14, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »

A ham radio 'I confirm reception' Postcard.