Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 512077 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 02, 2018, 05:28:09 PM »
Here are a couple of postcards from the state of Washington.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I was at the Seattle Art Museum a couple of times, way back when.  Pretty cool place.  I recall waking down some stairs and seeing some colorful glass art.  Also, Volunteer Park was a fun place to walk around.  Big park, and there is an adjoining cemetery there, to top things off.

This postcard shows the tug Tatoosh saving the Washington.  Quite a story behind it: http://offbeatoregon.com/1510c.tatoosh-rescues-steam-schooner.361.html

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #421 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
Here are a couple of postcards from the state of Washington.

Looks like Seattle's Art Museum was almost as grim on the outside as the one here in Raleigh.  Which is cheerier?  That mausoleum looking thing in the
post card or a Nazi Bunker overlooking Omaha Beach?   

They finally broke down and replaced the building here in Raleigh with something that doesn't harken back to machine gun nests.........................

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #422 on: October 02, 2018, 06:44:49 PM »
Looks like Seattle's Art Museum was almost as grim on the outside as the one here in Raleigh.  Which is cheerier?  That mausoleum looking thing in the

THAT is hilarious and so right.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #423 on: October 02, 2018, 07:02:52 PM »

They finally broke down and replaced the building here in Raleigh with something that doesn't harken back to machine gun nests.........................

Ok the building itself isn't the prettiest thing but it has some nice, real Art Deco fittings.  I like it better than the pop-art monstrosity that replaced it downtown, which has all the charm of a suburban food court.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #424 on: October 02, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »

In all fairness to Seattle, they did move their museum downtown.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Art_Museum  The building in Volunteer Park is now called the Seattle Asian Art museum.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Asian_Art_Museum  There is yet a third art museum called Olympic Sculpture Park, located down on the waterfront.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Sculpture_Park   

I should have known that things change.  It's been almost 50 years since I lived in Seattle.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
Ok the building itself isn't the prettiest thing but it has some nice, real Art Deco fittings.  I like it better than the pop-art monstrosity that replaced it downtown, which has all the charm of a suburban food court.

Thanks for the info, K.  I still like the original building too. 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »

Plus you don't get sand in your boots trying to get in alive to see the special Rodin exhibition.   

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2018, 07:26:11 PM »

What is with the giant shadow person?! Scare off the junkies? Are there shadow rodents also, maybe shadow Norway rats? Or was that shadow person giant just caught in the photograph- in which case send to C2C, Earthfiles, or Dreamland site NOW!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #428 on: October 02, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
I think Motown might have the best of the lot on this page so far:

A few years back there was talk of stripping some of the artworks out of it to help with the cities financial woes. The collection was estimated to be worth billions.  There was also concern
that Detroit no longer could afford to defend the place either.   Might have made for one hell of a heist, eh?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-detroit-institute-of-arts-20140711-story.html

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #429 on: October 02, 2018, 07:28:11 PM »
What is with the giant shadow person?! Scare off the junkies? Are there shadow rodents also, maybe shadow Norway rats? Or was that shadow person giant just caught in the photograph- in which case send to C2C, Earthfiles, or Dreamland site NOW!

Nothing like Chicago’s Picasso

Or the Miro across the street.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #430 on: October 02, 2018, 07:31:28 PM »

A few years back there was talk of stripping some of the artworks out of it to help with the cities financial woes. The collection was estimated to be worth billions.  There was also concern
that Detroit no longer could afford to defend the place either.   Might have made for one hell of a heist, eh?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/culture/la-et-cm-detroit-institute-of-arts-20140711-story.html
Detroit I'm more worried about Devil's Night and the usual, not even the looting. At least then the stuff would show up later, at some point, if done my professionals but even if just by semi-smart thieves. But like the Brazil National Museum type of situation when a city gets into bad finances and can't protect itself and stuff burns. Or stuff in the Middle East museums. Horrible. Glad we, the "royal" we, took a lot of stuff to ours earlier. And Detroit, even in good times, has had a tendency towards burning stuff.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #431 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »

Ugh.  That is Hammering Man, whose arm goes up and down (when it is working) to astonish anyone unfamiliar with the wonders of midcentury signage, alongside which such rudimentary animation pales.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #432 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
Ugh.  That is Hammering Man, whose arm goes up and down (when it is working) to astonish anyone unfamiliar with the wonders of midcentury signage, alongside which such rudimentary animation pales.

[Big Belly Laugh]  The Arm.  [Big Belly Laugh] Moves  Oh dear...................       

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #433 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:44 PM »

Chicago has a nice Art Institute on Michigan Avenue

Houston’s is blah

Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #434 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:58 PM »
Chicago has a nice Art Institute on Michigan Avenue

^^^^^ See boys.   Midwestern sensibility right there.   

Now what about Chicago's jingle?    It's been 40 years and I still have Detroit's stuck in my head