Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 589035 times)

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
Ahhh I probably can’t help, but i can give you a good description that might help you put yours on a descriptive level of shite.

Let’s start with the fact that my parents didn’t celebrate Christmas in any way shape or form, due to some ridiculous religious beliefs.

My formative years were spent being segregated from kids at school who did Christmas festivities and not doing anything special during the festive season. No present giving at school, no church services, no nativity plays, no carol singing, no christmas fairs... you get the idea.

I never really formed any Christmas traditions that most people have, and in fact I never decorated a Christmas tree until I was married and properly living with my husband.

My remaining siblings now celebrate, as does my mother (she has drifted away from the hokey religion). The act of giving presents is nice, and the season itself is nice now I can participate, but it’s how I imagine moving to a country that has a seasonal event you are sort of adopted into. I do it but don’t understand the sense memories that I think most people have.

Two of my siblings no longer talk to two of my other siblings. They really hate one another. I talk to everyone. There’s a Venn diagram which is used for who goes where, and when - my mother is shared around like the child of a divorced couple.

This year we have Christmas with one sister, then Boxing Day to relax and then my other sibling and my mum for the day after Boxing Day.

I generally buy a bottle of Baileys and get absolutely pissed and just try and survive. Strangely enough it’s the only day of the year I actually want to drink heavily. I barely drink the rest of the year.

Oh add to that the fact that Marital Unit’s mum died a few years ago on Christmas Day which means it’s always a bit of a sombre affair.

So I spose the answer to your question: Drink.
Oh wow.  That really puts things in perspective.  :-\. My heart goes out to you.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread --Bah Humbug?
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »
Your welcome. Thanks for putting up this subject. I love this song, too.  I also love Pee Wee Herman. However, I can only watch his shows/movies so many time. Over in the Drama subject, it seems that the facebook banned one is letting his stream off over there. It has the Pee Wee Herman feel to it.
Pee-wee: I know you are but what am I?
Francis: You're a nerd!
Francis: You're an idiot!

Someone I knew had a tape of the HBO Peewee Herman Show. Genius hilarity! I found it on YouTube and was going to post it here for the Uninitiated but it's in 4 parts and don't have time. Worth the lookup for anyone interested
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »
I thought for a moment that was a conversation someone had with miller
+1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

comaphobe

• KDWN
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2018, 12:09:53 PM »
I vividly remember seeing Pee Wee's Big Adventure in the theater in 1985. Earlier in the day I bought an oversized toothbrush, knowing I was going to see the Pee Wee movie later in the evening. The whole day was fun and the movie was the icing on the cake. After the movie a local celebrity known for a particular gameshow got into a thing with either a parking attendant or a valet over some kind of parking dispute at this lot/garage and was causing a scene.

The movie is excellent and is still one of my all time favorites. I'm not even much of a Tim Burton fan but I think that movie was pure gold. Burton is actually in the movie, when PeeWee is depressed and in the pouring rain, the lead thug who speaks is actually Tim Burton who PeeWee gives a HISS to.

Awesome movie though... The characters all around, the scenery, Dottie², and the cameos by several people like Cassandra Peterson. I think anything with Elizabeth Daily was good. She pops up in several really fun and mega cool 80s movies, sometimes with her band (IE: Better Off Dead, which is an A+ comedy and also from 1985).

1985 spawned a ton of good movies and albums. Good year for metal axes too, especially Ibanez. Attached is one my Prolines. Not the most collectible, but fun and was made in 1985. Picture is total shit. It is more of a Pepto Bismal color in real life. My 2nd pink 1660 but currently my only pink one. I think I have 13 Ibanez axes that were built in 1985. I don't really like playing newer guitars and I prefer them pointy. I collect Japanese Destroyers and Vs of the 70s and 80s and over a dozen of them have 1985 serials. Which reminds me... Cereal... in 1985 cereal was also really good but I don't do that anymore, I don't even drink Coke/Pepsi or anything related. New Coke was a bunch of horseshit too. Rememeber that? That stunt might have been 1985 too, if not it was 1984.

</materialism session>

☾ ⊕ ∑ Δ P H Ω ß Ξ

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
We all do it to a certain extent. Just tweaking your whiskers  ;)

Well, late to the party, but finally wandering over here. What a great idea, @TigerLily , thanks for starting this thread! I'm so happy to see gabbers who don't post in the HW or Dave threads much, too! Excellent!

I confess we go out to dinner a lot, and usually it's the first time we get a chance to check on the political newsletter we both like (then discuss the day's updates), check the guests for MITD, marital unit checks the bird list upates, and I sometimes briefly check Ellgab. But mostly we talk, and often end up chatting with people around us if the setting is right. Nice!

BTW I am NOT going to discuss politics at all, just mentioned that I like a particular newsletter, that's all.  8)

As for your Fire, can't you turn off the AI feature that suggests things to you?

Cheers!  ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2018, 12:45:02 PM »
Dysfunctional siblings, awkward parents. Sibling invited g/f’s niece and niece’s b/f as a condition of them attending.   ::)

Breathe. Don't take any of it too seriously, none of it really matters anyway. Let it roll like water off a duck's back. You can be Teflon man. Focus on things you like or that make you feel happy.

And a good drink or two or a toke might not hurt either <g>.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." -- Chinese proverb

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »
I've never heard of Japanese cheesecake. But I do like Japanese food and cheesecake so this is something maybe I should look into

The Japanese do cheesecake beautifully. They have such an attention to detail, if they do another country's cuisine, it's perfect. There's a restaurant in NYC which is 100% Japanese owned and staffed, and the cuisine is all Italian... but refined, perfect, blissful elegant Italian. Amazing!  :)

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
I hope that everyone is going to have an AWESOME Christmas and a happy new year too.

You, too, Damon!  ;D

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »
Ahhh I probably can’t help, but i can give you a good description that might help you put yours on a descriptive level of shite.

Let’s start with the fact that my parents didn’t celebrate Christmas in any way shape or form, due to some ridiculous religious beliefs.

My formative years were spent being segregated from kids at school who did Christmas festivities and not doing anything special during the festive season. No present giving at school, no church services, no nativity plays, no carol singing, no christmas fairs... you get the idea.

I never really formed any Christmas traditions that most people have, and in fact I never decorated a Christmas tree until I was married and properly living with my husband.

My remaining siblings now celebrate, as does my mother (she has drifted away from the hokey religion). The act of giving presents is nice, and the season itself is nice now I can participate, but it’s how I imagine moving to a country that has a seasonal event you are sort of adopted into. I do it but don’t understand the sense memories that I think most people have.

Two of my siblings no longer talk to two of my other siblings. They really hate one another. I talk to everyone. There’s a Venn diagram which is used for who goes where, and when - my mother is shared around like the child of a divorced couple.

This year we have Christmas with one sister, then Boxing Day to relax and then my other sibling and my mum for the day after Boxing Day.

I generally buy a bottle of Baileys and get absolutely pissed and just try and survive. Strangely enough it’s the only day of the year I actually want to drink heavily. I barely drink the rest of the year.

Oh add to that the fact that Marital Unit’s mum died a few years ago on Christmas Day which means it’s always a bit of a sombre affair.

So I spose the answer to your question: Drink.

That's a tough one to get over, @DynamoHum, but in time it will ease.

Years back my beloved father had a sudden heart attack and died on a Monday and was buried two days later on Wednesday, my birthday. I was in my 20's then. Our family doctor, who treated him and all of us and was a close family friend, came over to the house after the funeral (which he was at) where we were receiving people (my dad was active in the community and very well-liked) with a bouquet of red roses and a small birthday cake with a candle on it. He lit the candle and said, "Someday you will be able to remember that this is your birthday, too, and one day you will be able to claim it back as your day." It was amazing.

And you know what? That was many years ago, and he was absolutely right. There have even been a couple of years when I didn't even think about my Dad's funeral on my birthday, and that was a good thing. I bless our doctor/friend (now long gone himself) for that incredibly sensitive and wise act of kindness to me on that horribly sad day. It was an amazing gift beyond words.

May your Marital Unit be able to reclaim Christmas, enjoy the day, and let go the sadness in time.

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
I thought for a moment that was a conversation someone had with miller

You mean it wasn't?  8)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Eh, nevermind...

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2018, 01:39:45 PM »

Er Muh Gawd.  I think all this talk of Japanese cheesecake must have lead me to receive a Cheescake Factory ad and a Henry & David ad. Then the marital unit discussions triggered an exotic wedding destinations site. All three tempting but forbidden  ;)

Which also leads to this reminder: #Clickacy for the Critters!
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »
That's a tough one to get over, @DynamoHum, but in time it will ease.

Years back my beloved father had a sudden heart attack and died on a Monday and was buried two days later on Wednesday, my birthday. I was in my 20's then. Our family doctor, who treated him and all of us and was a close family friend, came over to the house after the funeral (which he was at) where we were receiving people (my dad was active in the community and very well-liked) with a bouquet of red roses and a small birthday cake with a candle on it. He lit the candle and said, "Someday you will be able to remember that this is your birthday, too, and one day you will be able to claim it back as your day." It was amazing.

And you know what? That was many years ago, and he was absolutely right. There have even been a couple of years when I didn't even think about my Dad's funeral on my birthday, and that was a good thing. I bless our doctor/friend (now long gone himself) for that incredibly sensitive and wise act of kindness to me on that horribly sad day. It was an amazing gift beyond words.

May your Marital Unit be able to reclaim Christmas, enjoy the day, and let go the sadness in time.

Marital Unit is very stoic, but I am always mindful.
Thank you for your kind words :)
Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3

Fancy Lady Boots

• Ellightened
  • *** Fancy! ***
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »
Er Muh Gawd.  I think all this talk of Japanese cheesecake must have lead me to receive a Cheescake Factory ad and a Henry & David ad. Then the marital unit discussions triggered an exotic wedding destinations site. All three tempting but forbidden  ;)

Which also leads to this reminder: #Clickacy for the Critters!

I'm back to HelloFresh. LubeNLock be gone! :D

Aquarius

• Ellevated
  • Why? Why not?
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »
I'm back to HelloFresh. LubeNLock be gone! :D

I wish I would stop getting only ads for Mazdas! I'm not looking for a car, and don't like Mazdas anyway! No offense to anyone who has one, btw.  :D