Author Topic: The Legendary Art Bell  (Read 274706 times)

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
Re: The Legendary Art Bell
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 04:34:16 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sergeant Major

• Ellightened
  • Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Bobo, where Are you?

Bob

• KIDD
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 08:17:52 PM »
I've had a long relationship with Art (not like the one Heather may have been having).  He's been both a mentor and a thorn at different times in my life.  I once wrote a blog discussing how I found it suspicious that Art would remarry just three months after Ramona died.  Art threatened to sue me for stating my opinion of  "something just wasn't adding up".  He later retracted that threat and simply asked me to remove it because "you know none of that is true".

Instead of being sued I decided to remove the blog post.
But even to this day, we have more questions than answers about Ramona's death...among other things.

I will, however, say that when I needed help as a new broadcaster/podcaster, Art reached out to me by phone.  I never had his number (he always called with his number blocked) but he would call almost anytime I needed his advice.

His real-life persona wasn't the greatest, and he admitted to that.  But his radio persona was the greatest of any radio host that has ever lived. Nobody will ever replicate the storytelling ability he had. He could thrill you with the most mundane of events...only because he was our equivalency of P.T. Barnum.

While he wasn't the greatest father to most of his children, I truly believe he tried to make up for those failures by being a great dad to his last two children.  They will be his lasting legacy, not those who despise him for leaving.

Just my two cents.

Gonoory

• Cuckshacker
  • KDWN
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 09:00:16 PM »
I've had a long relationship with Art (not like the one Heather may have been having).  He's been both a mentor and a thorn at different times in my life.  I once wrote a blog discussing how I found it suspicious that Art would remarry just three months after Ramona died.  Art threatened to sue me for stating my opinion of  "something just wasn't adding up".  He later retracted that threat and simply asked me to remove it because "you know none of that is true".

But even to this day, we have more questions than answers about Ramona's death...among other things.

I will, however, say that when I needed help as a new broadcaster/podcaster, Art reached out to me by phone.  I never had his number (he always called with his number blocked) but he would call almost anytime I needed his advice.

His real-life persona wasn't the greatest, and he admitted to that.  But his radio persona was the greatest of any radio host that has ever lived. Nobody will ever replicate the storytelling ability he had. He could thrill you with the most mundane of events...only because he was our equivalency of P.T. Barnum.

While he wasn't the greatest father to most of his children, I truly believe he tried to make up for those failures by being a great dad to his last two children.  They will be his lasting legacy, not those who despise him for leaving.

Just my two cents.

Did art smother Ramona?

Is MV another one of Art’s illigitimate kids?  Is heather?

What was Art’s favorite flavor of ice cream? 

How did he take his coffee?

Did he smell good?  Can you describe the scent?  Was it woodsy?  Vanilla tinged? Musky?

How many transferable machine guns did art own?  Who gets them in the will?  Rowland or his child bride?

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »

Just my two cents.

A fine vignette for sure.

Art was also a model ham, but again that's a "radio" persona.

Sadly for a time his "legacy" will revolve around Heather and the cuckshed, until such time as she or his family move on.

:-\

4Katdad

• KNYE
  • Can't you see I'm busy?
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
Longtime lurker finally coming out of the (B)EllGab closet because Commandant Ell is making us if we want access to any of the good stuff on this site (damn/praise BE). Lurked at BellGab since Art announced his final C2C retirement after the 2010 Ghost to Ghost show. Discovered Art in the mid-90s, probably '96, and it literally changed my life. It was like I finally found where I belonged and who I belonged with. I worked nights back then, usually got off work around midnight-1 a.m., and would spend the rest of the night hanging on Art and whatever guest's every word. I would bust ass to finish my work by 1 a.m., listen to the start of the show on my way home, sit in the driveway and continue to listen until the bottom of the hour, then race into the house and turn on the radio before he came out of the break and listen the rest of the night. I never heard anything like it before, never knew Art or his show existed until my dad told me about it. Great times, those '90s shows. Absolute magic.

By the way, I've never posted on a message board before, so this is my "first time" and I'm sure I'll screw up in the early going. Please be gentle. Or at least as gentle as you can  ;)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:04 PM »
Longtime lurker finally coming out of the (B)EllGab closet because Commandant Ell is making us if we want access to any of the good stuff on this site (damn/praise BE). Lurked at BellGab since Art announced his final C2C retirement after the 2010 Ghost to Ghost show. Discovered Art in the mid-90s, probably '96, and it literally changed my life. It was like I finally found where I belonged and who I belonged with. I worked nights back then, usually got off work around midnight-1 a.m., and would spend the rest of the night hanging on Art and whatever guest's every word. I would bust ass to finish my work by 1 a.m., listen to the start of the show on my way home, sit in the driveway and continue to listen until the bottom of the hour, then race into the house and turn on the radio before he came out of the break and listen the rest of the night. I never heard anything like it before, never knew Art or his show existed until my dad told me about it. Great times, those '90s shows. Absolute magic.

By the way, I've never posted on a message board before, so this is my "first time" and I'm sure I'll screw up in the early going. Please be gentle. Or at least as gentle as you can  ;)

HEY GUYS!!!WE GOT A LONGTIME LURKER.  LETS BREAK OUT THE WATERBOARD KIT THAT CHENEY SIGNED AND SEE IF HE CAN PASS THE FALKIE QUIZ.

FORUM VIRGIN
Are we having fun yet?

Dyna-X

• Ellightened
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:36 PM »

How did he take his coffee?

"Black. always black"
    --from an open lines in 2015

spacegirl

• KMST
  • ////// CARPE CAELO! //////
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:16 PM »

Welcome, 4Katdad.  Great story!  I share your feelings about those classic shows.

Post often.

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:19 PM »
Welcome, 4Katdad.  Great story!  I share your feelings about those classic shows.

Post often.

Thanks, spacegirl! I wasn't sure if I should take the plunge or not, then thought, what the hell. Why not? Then I see GS wants to waterboard me. Now I know I made the right decision  ;D

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:31 AM »

Make sure to wear a helmet and bring sparring gear just in case. Other than that, glad your here!
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
Make sure to wear a helmet and bring sparring gear just in case. Other than that, glad your here!

Thanks. Yes, I'm in full battle regalia. Onward!

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 03:24:02 PM »
Any word on Art's autopsy report? I know Knappy has been trying to track it down, without success. If foul play isn't suspected it may never be released. I'm not sure what the law is in Nevada or any other state, but Airyn may wish to keep the results private.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 03:54:35 PM »
Any word on Art's autopsy report? I know Knappy has been trying to track it down, without success. If foul play isn't suspected it may never be released. I'm not sure what the law is in Nevada or any other state, but Airyn may wish to keep the results private.

https://www.countyoffice.org/nv-nye-county-medical-coroner-p5/

Is an autopsy always necessary in medical examiner cases?
In cases of a natural death, where no crime is suspected and there is no public health risk, an autopsy is not usually required.

4Katdad

• KNYE
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
https://www.countyoffice.org/nv-nye-county-medical-coroner-p5/

Is an autopsy always necessary in medical examiner cases?
In cases of a natural death, where no crime is suspected and there is no public health risk, an autopsy is not usually required.

Thanks Metron. I didn't find anything on the Nye County site, but apparently Clark County handles Nye County's autopsies, and according to the Clark County site they "investigate all deaths caused by any criminal means, violence or suicide, and any unattended death, whatever the cause." I remember seeing or hearing something shortly after Art died that he was surrounded by his family when he died, if that has anything to do with it. On the Facebook video announcing his death, the Nye County Sheriff said an autopsy would be conducted soon, so who knows. Anthony Bourdain's tox report came back a couple weeks after his death, although that was ruled a suicide and it was in France.

I guess if we never hear an official cause of death we'll have to go with complications from COPD. Dannion did say on the C2C tribute show that Art had been in severe pain and "it just wasn't worth it." I found "it just wasn't worth it" to be curious wording. It insinuates something intentional on Art's behalf unless I'm reading too much into it.

Either way Art's gone so it's all window dressing at this point. Just a matter of curiosity to close the door once and for all.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Metron.