Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503342 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #540 on: October 28, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »
It doesn't look French to me, I can't make out a single word.

Yes, now that you mention it, there are no French words there.   Some of the words look kind of Grecian in nature.  Not Latin of course, and not Italian, but, to me anyway, it seems like some of the words have a 'Mediterranean' look to them.  I found a few English words here and there such as  In "Bres" (Brest, France?) will In train in ?.  The trouble with postcard messages is that  lots of people have horrible handwriting, no matter what language they are being written in, and I think that's the case here.  But thanks for looking, Bart.  I appreciate it. 

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #541 on: October 28, 2018, 06:30:37 AM »
Yes, now that you mention it, there are no French words there.   Some of the words look kind of Grecian in nature.  Not Latin of course, and not Italian, but, to me anyway, it seems like some of the words have a 'Mediterranean' look to them.  I found a few English words here and there such as  In "Bres" (Brest, France?) will In train in ?.  The trouble with postcard messages is that  lots of people have horrible handwriting, no matter what language they are being written in, and I think that's the case here.  But thanks for looking, Bart.  I appreciate it. 

I could make out the word "worda" and translator came back with it being Polish. I'm not terribly sure that's right, but it's in Roman letters at least.
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #542 on: October 30, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Nice Egyptian murals spaced along the side of the appropriately named Sahara Motor Hotel.  But we aren't in Egypt, nope, how about Cleveland, Ohio?

There was evidence of a Saharan Motel at the above address but when I went to Google Earth, I saw a huge building that I think is a community college.  Not that we would want to visit the coffee shop anyway.  I noticed that the crime rate is high for the area and there are 347 registered offenders within a 1 mile radius.  But I hasten to add that it might be a nice place because I honestly can't verify the info that I have come across.  Photo of the college, below.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #543 on: October 31, 2018, 02:35:30 PM »

Happy Halloween!

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #544 on: October 31, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »

Happy Halloween!

I love the ones with the little rhymes! Happy Halloween, Rikki!

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #545 on: October 31, 2018, 08:44:26 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #546 on: October 31, 2018, 10:52:21 PM »

Nice!  And a Happy Halloween to you, Spookcat.

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #547 on: November 02, 2018, 12:19:30 AM »
Jiro Osaragi was the pen name of a famous Japanese writer who lived from 1897 to 1973.  As most of Osaragi’s novels were first serialized in newspapers and magazines, he became extremely popular with the masses, and a literary icon of his times.  Most of his historical novels were later made into films and television series as well, and in many cases Osaragi wrote the screenplays.  Although he received critical acclaim for his novel ‘Kikyo’ (Homecoming), Osaragi is probably most loved for ‘The Loyal Retainers of Ako’, his entertaining retelling of the famous forty-seven samurai story.

Osaragi is also remembered as a great cat-lover.  He himself estimated that during his lifetime, including strays, he had cared for close to 500 cats.  At the time of his death, there were no fewer than 15 cats living at his final home.  Osaragi was also instrumental in preserving the historical beauty of Kamakura by joining with other artists in the area to oppose unsightly modernization while championing the preservation of historically significant structures. This movement became the catalyst for the formation of the Japan National Trust.

Japanese Author Jirō Osaragi with some of his cats.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #548 on: November 02, 2018, 12:41:32 AM »
Jiro Osaragi was the pen name of a famous Japanese writer who lived from 1897 to 1973.  As most of Osaragi’s novels were first serialized in newspapers and magazines, he became extremely popular with the masses, and a literary icon of his times.  Most of his historical novels were later made into films and television series as well, and in many cases Osaragi wrote the screenplays.  Although he received critical acclaim for his novel ‘Kikyo’ (Homecoming), Osaragi is probably most loved for ‘The Loyal Retainers of Ako’, his entertaining retelling of the famous forty-seven samurai story.

Osaragi is also remembered as a great cat-lover.  He himself estimated that during his lifetime, including strays, he had cared for close to 500 cats.  At the time of his death, there were no fewer than 15 cats living at his final home.  Osaragi was also instrumental in preserving the historical beauty of Kamakura by joining with other artists in the area to oppose unsightly modernization while championing the preservation of historically significant structures. This movement became the catalyst for the formation of the Japan National Trust.

Japanese Author Jirō Osaragi with some of his cats.

Nice info, Spookcat.  Sounds like he was a very nice man.  I have all the (translated) works of Yukio Mishima.  I also have a cool biography of him on video but oddly enough, I have never watched the movie that they made about him, some years back.  I have always wanted to go to Japan and pay homage to him at his grave. 

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
« Reply #549 on: November 02, 2018, 01:02:57 AM »
Nice info, Spookcat.  Sounds like he was a very nice man.  I have all the (translated) works of Yukio Mishima.  I also have a cool biography of him on video but oddly enough, I have never watched the movie that they made about him, some years back.  I have always wanted to go to Japan and pay homage to him at his grave.

Yukio Mishima is very interesting. I wonder whether his ideals were set growing up with his aristocratic grandmother, his authoritarian father or his own views in the ministry. I also found it interesting that he almost married the now-empress and wondered if that had any effect on his views, especially towards the end of his life.

If I make if out to the cemetery before we leave next year, I can leave an offering to him for you if you'd like.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #550 on: November 02, 2018, 01:11:26 AM »
Yukio Mishima is very interesting. I wonder whether his ideals were set growing up with his aristocratic grandmother, his authoritarian father or his own views in the ministry. I also found it interesting that he almost married the now-empress and wondered if that had any effect on his views, especially towards the end of his life.

If I make if out to the cemetery before we leave next year, I can leave an offering to him for you if you'd like.

Oh thank you, that would be so nice.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be heading to Japan in the foreseeable future, unless of course, I win a big lottery.  haha 

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #551 on: November 02, 2018, 02:54:39 PM »

Here is a fun advertising postcard from 1933.  We can pick six magazines for a dollar.  Not bad, but I'm pretty sure they are doing it to acquire some yearly subscriptions from one or all six of the magazines we select.  Anyway, if I had to pick six magazines, I think that I would select:
1. American Poultry Journal
2. Illustrated Mechanics
3. Capper's Farmer
4. Pathfinder
5. Succesful Farming
6. Better Homes and Gardens.

Which ones would you pick?

What could possibly be of interest that occured on January 4, 1933?  Well, I'll let my friends at Wikipedia answer that:
January 4, 1933 (Wednesday)
After a ban against African-American enlistments that had begun on August 4, 1919, the United States Navy allowed Negroes to join, though only in the steward's department, in food service and as servants for officers. At the time, 0.5% of the enlisted men were black. The reversal was not prompted by racial enlightenment, but by concerns that the number of available Filipino domestic help would be dwindling.

Political enemies, Nazi Party Chairman Adolf Hitler and former German Chancellor Franz von Papen, united only by their enmity with Chancellor Kurt von Schleicher, met in Köln at the home of banker Kurt von Schröder, with the goal of forcing Schleicher from office. As a result of the negotiations, Papen would support Hitler to be named as the new Chancellor of Germany by the end of the month.

The French Line luxury ocean liner L'Atlantique caught fire while traveling, without passengers, to Le Havre for routine maintenance. Nineteen of the crew of 225 died, and the ship was destroyed. Had the fire broken out when the ship was carrying a full load of passengers, hundreds would have died.

Dr. V. Gregory Burtan (aka Valentine G. Burtan, aka William Gregory Burtan), a respected New York cardiologist and member of the Communist Party of the United States of America, was arrested as operator of a counterfeiting operation that had lasted more than five years. Starting in 1927, in an operation approved by Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin, tens of millions of dollars worth of realistic-looking but bogus U.S. currency had been printed and put into circulation in the United States, Europe, and China. Burtan was sentenced to 15 years in prison but would be paroled after ten years.

The 531 members of the electoral college, who had been selected by American voters in the presidential election on November 8, 1932, met in their respective state capitals to formally cast their ballots for Franklin Roosevelt or Herbert Hoover. The results, in favor of Roosevelt 472–59, would be made official on February 8.

Born:
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, American children's author best known for Shiloh, in Anderson, Indiana
René Guajardo, Mexican professional wrestler and lucha libre; in Villa Mainero, Tamaulipas state (d. 1992).

Died: Charles H. Jones, 77, American industrialist, best known as founder of the Commonwealth Shoe and Leather Company, and creator of the popular "Bostonian" shoe; in Weston, Massachusetts.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #552 on: November 02, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »

Here is a fun advertising postcard from 1933.  We can pick six magazines for a dollar.  Not bad, but I'm pretty sure they are doing it to acquire some yearly subscriptions from one or all six of the magazines we select.  Anyway, if I had to pick six magazines, I think that I would select:
1. American Poultry Journal
2. Illustrated Mechanics
3. Capper's Farmer
4. Pathfinder
5. Succesful Farming
6. Better Homes and Gardens.

Which ones would you pick?

What could possibly be of interest that occured on January 4, 1933?  Well, I'll let my friends at Wikipedia answer that:
Number 4?

https://issuu.com/nga_geoint/stacks/9112e3b3f28b4ee3803da775590acf28

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #553 on: November 02, 2018, 06:23:09 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »