Author Topic: Favorite Baseball Cards  (Read 25286 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Favorite Baseball Cards
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2018, 04:13:28 PM »
Yep he wore his welcome out in Colorado too... :-\

I'm tired of his affirmations with every single press conference.  It's like he's managing a bunch of snowflakes, or he's convincing himself he's still sober.  :P

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
  • the propinquity of moving electrons
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2018, 04:18:13 PM »
I'm tired of his affirmations with every single press conference.  It's like he's managing a bunch of snowflakes, or he's convincing himself he's still sober.  :P
Kinda funny how the Rockies ended up with your old skipper and you guys with theirs.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »
Kinda funny how the Rockies ended up with your old skipper and you guys with theirs.

Ha! Jim Tracy.

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 04:29:12 PM »
Ha! Jim Tracy.

And also Jim Leyland...for one season... ::)

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
And also Jim Leyland...for one season... ::)

oh.  I forgot.  :-\

Metron

• Nursery Resident
  • KIDD
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2018, 04:34:23 PM »
oh.  I forgot.  :-\

Lol, I believe Rockies fans might want to as well... ::)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
1980 Topps: Joe Charboneau
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
I like this 'card' of Joe Charboneau.   In full disclosure, it is a mockup made by the guy over at Cards that never were.  The actual Topps Charboneau card is a rather bland card for a guy that was a wild man.   I like this guy's rendition much better.  It captures "Super Joe" in all his meat headed, Paleo-Gronkowski glory.  The curly hair, the not quite cleanly shaved upper lip, the gold chain peeping out of his jersey and that fun loving smile.  Charboneau is the dude you definitely want to party with.

He fought bare knuckle bouts in High School for extra cash.  After having his nose broken in a bout, he straightened it out with a pair of pliers. 
This left him with the ability to inhale beers through his nose at breakneck speed.  He also had a knack for opening beer bottles with his eye socket.
He got a tattoo in a drunken binge but later decided that he didn't like it so he hacked it off with a razor blade.  Those are just some of the stories that made up the Legend of Joe Charboneau

He started out in the minors in the Phillies organization but quit and went home to play in a softball league after having a falling out with his manager. Minnesota picked him up the next year and sent him to A ball and were well rewarded with a monster year from Charboneau - he hit over .350 with 116 RBI's.  However, he was involved in a bar room brawl and the Twins sent him to Cleveland.   In AA for the 1979 season, Charboneau again had a big year.

He was invited to Spring Training but as usual trouble found Joe in a hurry.  The Indians were playing an exhibition game in Mexico when he was knifed by a fan.  The fan was arrested and had to pay a fine of 50 Pesos for the incident.  Charboneau said glibly "That's $2.27 for stabbing a person".  He healed up while meantime the Indians big hitter Andre Thornton was injured, so the Indians put him on the big league roster.

He became a sensation and the Legend of Super Joe Charboneau was born.   He was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1980 and tales of his off the field exploits were everywhere.  There was even a popular song called "Go Joe Charboneau".  It seemed as if the sky was the limit.   Sadly, it was not to be.   In spring training 1981 he wrenched his back on a head first slide.  He was never right again and became the first ever Rookie of the Year to be sent to the minors the next season.   After a number of back surgeries he would end his Major League career with the fewest ever appearances in a big league game by a position player that had won Rookie of the Year.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knocked around the minors some and appeared as an extra in the movie The Natural

He later did some sports management and had his own radio show. Then he returned to baseball as a coach and a manager.  In a fairly recent
picture of him, he looks happy and relaxed.  Apparently he must have calmed down as he got older

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »
I'll be damned Walks!  I remember Joe.  The history not so much.  Thanks man!   8) 8) 8)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2018, 05:48:48 PM »
I'll be damned Walks!  I remember Joe.  The history not so much.  Thanks man!   8) 8) 8)

You bet.  Here is the 'real' 1981 Topps card for Charboneau.  Too bland for the guy.  Too bland...........

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: 1980 Topps: Joe Charboneau
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2018, 06:10:03 PM »
I like this 'card' of Joe Charboneau.   In full disclosure, it is a mockup made by the guy over at Cards that never were.  The actual Topps Charboneau card is a rather bland card for a guy that was a wild man.   I like this guy's rendition much better.  It captures "Super Joe" in all his meat headed, Paleo-Gronkowski glory.  The curly hair, the not quite cleanly shaved upper lip, the gold chain peeping out of his jersey and that fun loving smile.  Charboneau is the dude you definitely want to party with.

He fought bare knuckle bouts in High School for extra cash.  After having his nose broken in a bout, he straightened it out with a pair of pliers. 
This left him with the ability to inhale beers through his nose at breakneck speed.  He also had a knack for opening beer bottles with his eye socket.
He got a tattoo in a drunken binge but later decided that he didn't like it so he hacked it off with a razor blade.  Those are just some of the stories that made up the Legend of Joe Charboneau

He started out in the minors in the Phillies organization but quit and went home to play in a softball league after having a falling out with his manager. Minnesota picked him up the next year and sent him to A ball and were well rewarded with a monster year from Charboneau - he hit over .350 with 116 RBI's.  However, he was involved in a bar room brawl and the Twins sent him to Cleveland.   In AA for the 1979 season, Charboneau again had a big year.

He was invited to Spring Training but as usual trouble found Joe in a hurry.  The Indians were playing an exhibition game in Mexico when he was knifed by a fan.  The fan was arrested and had to pay a fine of 50 Pesos for the incident.  Charboneau said glibly "That's $2.27 for stabbing a person".  He healed up while meantime the Indians big hitter Andre Thornton was injured, so the Indians put him on the big league roster.

He became a sensation and the Legend of Super Joe Charboneau was born.   He was the AL Rookie of the Year in 1980 and tales of his off the field exploits were everywhere.  There was even a popular song called "Go Joe Charboneau".  It seemed as if the sky was the limit.   Sadly, it was not to be.   In spring training 1981 he wrenched his back on a head first slide.  He was never right again and became the first ever Rookie of the Year to be sent to the minors the next season.   After a number of back surgeries he would end his Major League career with the fewest ever appearances in a big league game by a position player that had won Rookie of the Year.

He knocked around the minors some and appeared as an extra in the movie The Natural

He later did some sports management and had his own radio show. Then he returned to baseball as a coach and a manager.  In a fairly recent
picture of him, he looks happy and relaxed.  Apparently he must have calmed down as he got older

Not BB card related but reminded me of Steven Petrosino for some reason. He got advanced degrees and is now some kind of health guy?  :o

http://www.beerrecord.com/

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2018, 06:13:40 PM »
Not BB card related but reminded me of Steven Petrosino for some reason. He got advanced degrees and is now some kind of health guy?  :o

http://www.beerrecord.com/

Ha!  They look like they could hang together.  Is that Howard Stern looking on intently in that Pix?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
Ha!  They look like they could hang together.  Is that Howard Stern looking on intently in that Pix?

Ha! Could be? They definitely could hang together, I think. In a way Guinness was good to get rid of certain, potentially dangerous, records but thinking on- it better in a book form with staff paying attention than kids doing crap on the internet trying to beat some record or stunt!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »
How about favorite sets?  Every year they came out with new designs.  I particularly like the 1978 Topps cards and the 1982 Fleer's.  Something about the powder blue backs on those (Fleer).   8)

Favorite set was 1971, with the black borders.  Except every ding showed.

Also the back only showed the previous year and career stats.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 07:26:01 PM »
I liked the World Series cards that came out in the sets most years

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2018, 07:31:31 PM »
The playoff cards that year were in B&W