Author Topic: Phone Scammers & Scammers in General  (Read 2379 times)

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
Re: Phone Scammers & Scammers in General
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »
Horrible story, sorry you went through that. I thank you for the comment about Nomorobo, I just put my mother's phone on it. Last time I was there she got calls ALL DAY from telemarketers.

Not my money fortunately. Although any inheritance to me goes to my kids. They'll leave college debt free and driving old Toyotas anyway, my dad's money could buy nice houses in most states for the brood.

As for Nomorobo, I actively report bad numbers to them since there's a ton of spoofed numbers.  My dad adapted well to Nomo, he will only answer after the third ring.

For a taste of the reporting interface...   

http://nomorobo.com/report
Eh, nevermind...

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »
There's something else that happens called phone spoofing. This happened to us last June when we received 211 calls from all over the US and Canada from furious people who wanted to know why were calling them over and over again. We WEREN"T calling them but our phone number was on their display and they were receiving random calls all day and night for the better part of two full days.
After a few hours of our phone ringing off the hook on day one I decided to answer a random call (didn't know what to expect) on the other end was some roughneck in the Alberta oil patch threatening to find me and beat me up. Another call I answered was what sounded like a very pissed off old lady in Texas "Iiii dooon't neeed thaas!!" she said that. She was as pissed as the guy from Alberta. perhaps she called him asking him to beat me up ;D
I noticed after some time that the calls I answered were no longer calling me back..  I took this as a good thing thinking that me answering was breaking that particular chain. That Friday night I stayed up well into Saturday morning answering calls from all over. By now I had talked to a woman in Chicago who when I told her what was happening said "oh, you're being phone spoofed'  I asked her to call me back if she received another call from our number to which she had no problem with. (she was really nice)    I never heard back from her so I assumed my theory was right.  My wife handled all the calls on Saturday morning while I slept in.

By 2pm the phone had stopped ringing. To this day when I see Florida, Ontario, Montana or wherever I admittingly get a little nervous, but those are just scammers or salesman/women.  The guy from Alberta never showed up. Lucky him ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 10:58:28 PM »
:) :) :) Check out KITBOGA's videos. He is probably the best scambaiter out there! Tons of hilarious videos of various scams  :) :) :)

Kitboga's Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/kitbogashow

Youtube intro video:

I subscribe to Kit and I'm a member of his Twitch channel.  Check out today's episode.  One of his best.  You won't believe what he got a room full of scammers to do. ;) ;D ;D ;D

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 02:14:35 PM »

I subscribe to Kit and I'm a member of his Twitch channel.  Check out today's episode.  One of his best.  You won't believe what he got a room full of scammers to do. ;) ;D ;D ;D
@StarrMountain Kit has had some epic ones lately. The Twitch live streams are favorites because you never know what is going to happen and when working from home, I have his live stream on one of the monitors. Sometimes it's not easy to get work done because the videos and live streams are hilarious at times  :)   

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
@StarrMountain Kit has had some epic ones lately. The Twitch live streams are favorites because you never know what is going to happen and when working from home, I have his live stream on one of the monitors. Sometimes it's not easy to get work done because the videos and live streams are hilarious at times  :)
I totally agree, Max. ;D   +1 ;)