Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503486 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #765 on: February 03, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »
Speaking of the World's Fair:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #766 on: February 03, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
That's a nice card.  My grandfather was a life-long Yankees fan (ugh!), and when he and my grandmother went to the Fair he finally had a chance to go to a game at Yankee Stadium (he probably agreed to go to the Fair if he could go to a game as part of the deal)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #767 on: February 04, 2019, 12:14:24 AM »

At first I thought that big ship was the restaurant, which wouldn't be such a bad idea because you could load all the customers up and take an hour or so to circle that inlet while everyone ate, then drop anchor, unload all the stuffed passengers and take on another load of hungry folk.  But no, the restaurant is on that far shore.  From reading the attached link, I believe that the restaurant is still there, but now it is called Schaefer's Canal House.  http://www.schaeferscanalhouse.com/History-of-Schaefers-Canal-House_ep_66.html 

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #768 on: February 04, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
That's a nice card.  My grandfather was a life-long Yankees fan (ugh!), and when he and my grandmother went to the Fair he finally had a chance to go to a game at Yankee Stadium (he probably agreed to go to the Fair if he could go to a game as part of the deal)
Nice double dip there. The GM futurama part of the fair would have been outstanding:

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #769 on: February 04, 2019, 06:16:23 PM »
This may be the only card in the collection regarding royalty.  I imagine the coronation was a big deal at the time.  First cousin of both Czar Nicholas II of Russia (who he liked) and Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany (not so much), six years later George would see Wilhelm abdicate and flee to a life of exile in The Netherlands, and Nicholas and his entire family killed at the hand of the Bolsheviks - both empires (along with several others) swept away in the wake of WWI. 

The card looks a bit odd with all the color, and the king and queen left in black and white.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
This may be the only card in the collection regarding royalty.  I imagine the coronation was a big deal at the time.  First cousin of both Czar Nicholas II of Russia (who he liked) and Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany (not so much), six years later George would see Wilhelm abdicate and flee to a life of exile in The Netherlands, and Nicholas and his entire family killed at the hand of the Bolsheviks - both empires (along with several others) swept away in the wake of WWI. 

The card looks a bit odd with all the color, and the king and queen left in black and white.

The first part of this video has film of the funeral procession of Edward VII (George V's Father) and as Barbara Tuchman said "the greatest assemblage of royalty and rank ever gathered in one place and, of its kind, the last."

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #771 on: February 05, 2019, 12:30:34 AM »

I don't normally purchase used postcards that have had postage stamps removed from them but in this case I made an exception.  I liked the illustration too much to let it get away.  You can't see it here, but the front of the card is covered with a nice, glossy sheen.

It also has a clearly dated postmark on the back, plus a flag design with thirteen stars.

Amy wrote this message down on October 20, 1911.  That was the day when Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen set out on a race to the South Pole. (A race that he would eventually win.)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amundsen's_South_Pole_expedition

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #772 on: February 05, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #773 on: February 05, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Here are a couple of cards from SF Chinatown.  These were tucked inside a used book I bot.  No idea how old the post cards are, but the images (photos or paintings?) are from over 100 years ago based on the horse drawn wagon and carriage, automobile, and men's and women's clothing.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #774 on: February 05, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »
Nice, PB.  I found a Flickr photo of the owner of Shanghai Low that you can see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/chinatown_charlie/1617407087/
D.W. Low enjoys a cigar at the height of his success as the owner of Chinatown's most popular night club from the 1920s until the 50s. Shanghai Low was located at 532 Grant Avenue.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #775 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:33 PM »

Apparently this cemetery is closed due to vandalism, but if you have a relative resting there then you can obtain a visitation pass from a local Roman Catholic diocese.  Info on the St. Louis Cemetery No.1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Cemetery
In 2010, actor Nicolas Cage purchased a pyramid-shaped tomb to be his future final resting place.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #776 on: February 06, 2019, 04:01:59 AM »
Rik, here's an older dining room card..  The far left of the back got cut off during the scan, it says ''Made by Neuner Corporation, Los Angeles USA''

This one must be from the 2c era 1952-58, although the post card rate was also 2c in 1917-19 and 1925-28.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #777 on: February 06, 2019, 04:24:44 AM »
Rik, here's an older dining room card..  The far left of the back got cut off during the scan, it says ''Made by Neuner Corporation, Los Angeles USA''

This one must be from the 2c era 1952-58, although the post card rate was also 2c in 1917-19 and 1925-28.

Utterly fascinating.  And to think that customers probably had to wait for a table.  The mind boggles at the number of cooks, servers and waiters that had to be on hand to move all of that food!

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #778 on: February 06, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »
Taske a "shining" to:

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened