Author Topic: Animal Rescue  (Read 1772 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Animal Rescue
« on: August 03, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
The Lava Wildfire was near here recently, nearly a month after it was mostly contained a bobcat wandered into the area.  Here is his story:

We have an update on our burned bobcat, an adult male that came from the Lava Fire (not the Dixie Fire, as previously stated) near Weed, CA.  We are so thankful that Shasta Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation transferred the cat into the care of the Wildlife Disaster Network under the direction of Jamie Peyton, DVM, here at our Wildlife Intake Center. Once we sedated him and gave him a thorough examination, he was found to be more critically injured than first thought.  He suffers from infected second, third and fourth degree burns to his feet and legs.  He also has an abscess in his groin, possibly from a puncture wound while escaping the flames.  Additionally, his body condition is very poor. He is emaciated, weighing only about 50% of his normal 30-35# weight and blood work shows he is anemic.  Despite his grave condition we are optimistic about his prognosis, but it will take lots of care and support to get him back to normal so he can return to his life in the wild.  A big thank you to Animal Medical Center - Auburn, CA for always working with us to process blood work quickly, even when we bring the samples to them as they are closing. When we all work together, we can truly help these animals that have suffered so much.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: Animal Rescue
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 04:38:49 PM »
8/3 The bobcat that came to us from the Lava Fire in northern California is looking happier today!  He was treated yesterday by Jamie Peyton, DVM, and was probably delighted to wake up to find that she left his front paws unwrapped.  His wounds on those paws and legs did have some light bandaging on them, but he apparently spent last night removing those.  Cats will be cats!  Tomorrow he will receive another treatment, including the application of tilapia skin.  He's eating like a champ, gaining weight and growing stronger by the day.  Your support is truly what makes us be able to stay open every day of the year to provide the care and facilities needed by animals just like this burn victim - and all for FREE!  If you can help, you can donate on this post or mail a check to: GCWR, PO Box 4162, Auburn CA 95604 or go to our fundraiser:

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:18 PM »
How did I miss this thread?

I am certainly not happy with the circumstance but thankfully you have an uplifting report.

Thank you @anniem

Vera isn't a rescue..  :-[   I will drop her off at a rescue place tomorrow and hopefully someone will take her in.  ;)

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 10:40:46 PM »
How did I miss this thread?

I am certainly not happy with the circumstance but thankfully you have an uplifting report.

Thank you @anniem

Vera isn't a rescue..  :-[   I will drop her off at a rescue place tomorrow and hopefully someone will take her in.  @juan likes Vera s0 perhaps..

Noooo you keep baby Vera.

anniem

• Ellevated
Lava Bob
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
Re: Animal Rescue - Lava Bob
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 11:54:49 PM »
Here's how to donate. Go to their website.  They accept online donations through PayPal or Credit Card

https://goldcountrywildliferescue.org/donate/

I hope someone volunteers to sweep the forest floor
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 04:55:51 AM »
Here's how to donate. Go to their website.  They accept online donations through PayPal or Credit Card

They are going to be our September Fundraiser.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 06:50:32 AM »

:)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 09:25:55 AM »

Good.  I'm in.

Also, I hope someone can sweep the forest of careless smokers and campers who are partially responsible for this sort of thing.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 11:58:21 AM »
Good.  I'm in.

Also, I hope someone can sweep the forest of careless smokers and campers who are partially responsible for this sort of thing.

That, and the stupid nonclearing of fire hazard brush etc. LavaBob was hurt in the fire that was caused by lightning and not put all the way out by federal fire fighters. The guy in charge was not very experienced.. Then they refused to let the local FDs in. Trust the government, you say? Nope. Trust is earned.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »

You the man, @Bart Ell   :-*
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 08:08:07 PM »
Good.  I'm in.

Eliminate stupid people?  Sure.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 08:21:05 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2021, 07:20:17 PM »

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: Animal Rescue Lava Bob
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
Lava Bob is scheduled to be returned to the wild this month. I can only find this video on FB unfortunately.

https://www.facebook.com/GoldCountryWildlifeRescue/videos/567419687851838