Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 62900 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #690 on: May 26, 2023, 03:47:14 AM »
They built the Tampa Bay stadium in St. Petersburg, not in the larger Tampa.  People in Tampa won’t cross the bay for anything except those wanting to sample the gay life in St. Pete.  There have been lots of discussions about building a new baseball stadium near the football stadium in Tampa but no action.

HeHe. Will be interesting to see what happens there.

Looks like the A's might be headed to Vegas where one plan is to tear down the Tropicana on the strip and put the new ball park there. If done right - that might be kind of cool. That will be the 4th city for the A's. Wonder if that is some sort of record for a franchise?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #691 on: May 26, 2023, 06:48:08 AM »
... That will be the 4th city for the A's. Wonder if that is some sort of record for a franchise?

That occurred to me as well.  As a sports loving kid I was fascinated and horrified by the idea sports franchises could and would move.

That the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City (really bro?) still irritates.  When those fans were all upset about KD leaving, my thought was ''he was drafted by Seattle, you stole an entire franchise''.

Anyway, the only one that comes to mind are the Sacramento Kings.  Starting the NBA as the Rochester Royals, then the Cincinati Royals, then Kansas City-Omaha Kings (not going to count later dropping the Omaha and just being KC), then Sacramento.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #692 on: May 26, 2023, 07:11:08 AM »
That occurred to me as well.  As a sports loving kid I was fascinated and horrified by the idea sports franchises could and would move.

That the Sonics moved to Oklahoma City (really bro?) still irritates.  When those fans were all upset about KD leaving, my thought was ''he was drafted by Seattle, you stole an entire franchise''.

Anyway, the only one that comes to mind are the Sacramento Kings.  Starting the NBA as the Rochester Royals, then the Cincinati Royals, then Kansas City-Omaha Kings (not going to count later dropping the Omaha and just being KC), then Sacramento.

Didn't know that about the Kings - interesting. I guess the Raiders were Oakland-LA-Oakland-LV.   

There must be a story why the A's left K.C. for Oakland in the first place.  K.C. is a good baseball town. Finley related I suppose.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #693 on: May 26, 2023, 07:14:02 AM »
... Finley related I suppose.

Probably, lol.

As a kid I thought ''Browns'' was an odd choice for a team name.  Here's one - Baltimore has been on the receiving end of two Browns franchise moves, the original Cleveland Browns now Ravens, and the St Louis Browns (for Brown Sox) becoming the Orioles.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #694 on: May 26, 2023, 09:50:33 AM »
Utah Jazz?

Stupidest name in sports. They should have renamed the team the Salt Lake Pioneers or SLC Temperance.

Cracker Jazz?
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #695 on: May 26, 2023, 10:02:38 AM »
Utah Jazz?

Stupidest name in sports. They should have renamed the team the Salt Lake Pioneers or SLC Temperance.

Cracker Jazz?

Same with the Lakers after moving from Minneapolis. 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #696 on: May 26, 2023, 10:11:23 AM »
And the Hornets moved from Charlotte to New Orleans, forcing the new Charlotte team to be the Bobcats, then NO changed to the Pelicans (the old NO minor league baseball team name) which let the name Hornets go back to Charlotte where it had been the minor league baseball name for decades.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #697 on: May 26, 2023, 10:29:00 AM »
Washington Commanders were just denied their trademark request. 

Maybe they'll get the next name change right under the new owner.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #698 on: May 26, 2023, 11:41:35 AM »
Same with the Lakers after moving from Minneapolis.

True!  At least there is some alliteration, but yeah. They should call themselves Sidewalk Tents or the River Campers.
Eh, nevermind...

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #699 on: May 26, 2023, 11:53:22 AM »
They built the Tampa Bay stadium in St. Petersburg, not in the larger Tampa.  People in Tampa won’t cross the bay for anything except those wanting to sample the gay life in St. Pete.  There have been lots of discussions about building a new baseball stadium near the football stadium in Tampa but no action.

How good is Tampa as a sports town,  recently they been very lucky of having winning teams on every league  (Rays, Bucs, Lightening) we all know how the Rays are but how was the Bucs before Brady? I hear Florida sports in general can be a tough sell because there's so many other attractions and activities to do there.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #700 on: May 26, 2023, 01:23:12 PM »
Miami is not good for the pro teams.  A championship University of Miami football team packs them in.  Tampa is decent for football. Good when the team is good.  Jacksonville has about 50,000 die hard Jaguar fans who always show up.  Trouble is, the stadium has to be more than 70,000 for college football.  The last two home playoff games, though, have been standing room only.

Yes, there are a lot of other things to do, and the weather from March until mid-December lets you do them outside.
Merry Christmas

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #701 on: May 26, 2023, 07:42:24 PM »
Some renderings of the possible new home for the A's.  According to this guy, Bally's wants to put towers around the new stadium which probably blocks any cool views of the strip.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
« Reply #702 on: June 10, 2023, 09:02:44 PM »
I love the Braves throwbacks. Yeah, I like the Padre uniforms from the 70s, and I love the Tampa Bay Rays imitation of the Padre throwbacks, but the Braves uniforms were so clean.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I also like the city connect jerseys from Colorado. Those should be their regular uniform!
Eh, nevermind...

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
Eh, nevermind...

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #704 on: June 18, 2023, 10:16:28 AM »
It seems like a lot of players get into the various halls of fame due to recency bias (and statistics inflation, due to the trend towards changes in the games to generate more offense in the case of baseball especially).

I really appreciate this guy's self-reflection regarding joining the StL Cardinals HoF.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/david-freese-rejects-induction-into-cardinals-hall-of-fame-says-tenure-in-st-louis-weighs-heavily-on-me/