Author Topic: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory  (Read 820742 times)

Sofia

• Ellightened
Re: Coast to Coast AM with George Noory
« Reply #1050 on: February 12, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
Tonight he played some song to his male guest about holding someone tight, or something. Does this mean Georgie is gay?
There is a video somewhere in which he denies being gay but respects others as they are.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1051 on: February 13, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
Big mispronunciation tonight.  Robots was Robutts.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1052 on: February 15, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »
Sounds bit like the medieval guilds, and look what happened to them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild
Fall of the guilds

An example of the last of the British Guilds meeting rooms c. 1820
As Ogilvie (2004) shows, the guilds negatively affected quality, skills, and innovation. Through what economists now call "rent-seeking" they imposed deadweight losses on the economy. Ogilvie says they generated no demonstrable positive externalities and notes that industry began to flourish only after the guilds faded away. Guilds persisted over the centuries because they redistributed resources to politically powerful merchants. On the other hand, Ogilvie agrees, guilds created "social capital" of shared norms, common information, mutual sanctions, and collective political action. This social capital benefited guild members, even as it hurt outsiders.[26]

The guild system became a target of much criticism towards the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th century. They were believed to oppose free trade and hinder technological innovation, technology transfer and business development. According to several accounts of this time, guilds became increasingly involved in simple territorial struggles against each other and against free practitioners of their arts.

Two of the most outspoken critics of the guild system were Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Adam Smith, and all over Europe a tendency to oppose government control over trades in favour of laissez-faire free market systems was growing rapidly and making its way into the political and legal system. The French Revolution saw guilds as a last remnant of feudalism. The Le Chapelier Law of 1791 abolished the guilds in France.[27] Smith wrote in The Wealth of Nations (Book I, Chapter X, paragraph 72):

It is to prevent this reduction of price, and consequently of wages and profit, by restraining that free competition which would most certainly occasion it, that all corporations, and the greater part of corporation laws, have been established. (...) and when any particular class of artificers or traders thought proper to act as a corporation without a charter, such adulterine guilds, as they were called, were not always disfranchised upon that account, but obliged to fine annually to the king for permission to exercise their usurped privileges.

Karl Marx in his Communist Manifesto also criticized the guild system for its rigid gradation of social rank and the relation of oppressor/oppressed entailed by this system. From this time comes the low regard in which some people hold the guilds to this day. In part due to their own inability to control unruly corporate behavior, the tide turned against the guilds.

Because of industrialization and modernization of the trade and industry, and the rise of powerful nation-states that could directly issue patent and copyright protections — often revealing the trade secrets — the guilds' power faded. After the French Revolution they fell in most European nations through the 19th century, as the guild system was disbanded and replaced by free trade laws. By that time, many former handicraft workers had been forced to seek employment in the emerging manufacturing industries, using not closely guarded techniques but standardized methods controlled by corporations.

Seems like we just keep bumping onto ourselves throughout history.

How about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Work-Study_Program

The Federal Work-Study Program, FWS, provides a method for postsecondary education students to earn funds that are used toward their education. The program was formerly known as the College Work-Study Program.[1] The FWS program helps students earn monetary awards towards their postsecondary education. The program is based on financial need and students must be accepted into the program to qualify.

Eligible college students join work programs through their college to earn money for tuition and other expenses. There are many different types of jobs that qualify for the program. Students are assured of receiving at least federal minimum wage for the duration of their employment. The FWS program helps to ensure that college students who are truly in need of the money get the jobs.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the recipient's course of study.

Process[edit]
Federal Work Study funding is given to institutions to provide part-time work opportunities for students involved in certain majors. Federal funding is made to participating institutions based on requests made by the institutions. A statutory formula is used to help institutions determine the allocations to request. Once funds are allocated to each university, they then administer the funds. Once all the funds for the institution have been allocated no more students can participate that year.

I don't know much about guilds, but I know from experience work-study pays insultingly low while students are being gouged to pay tuition and books.  Students who "get" work-study position do not always receive much financial aid.  It is simply lunch money while student loan debt mounts.  The positions can be a networking, stabilizing opportunity, but they are not gainful at all.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #1053 on: February 15, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »
So you're saying the federal work-study program isn't what it's billed as? That's disappointing, how could sainted bug gubmint have failed us again? :o

https://law.seattleu.edu/office-and-administration/student-financial-services/financial-aid-programs/work-study

Through either need-based federal work-study or through institutional work-study (not based on need), on-campus employment offers law students the opportunity to work in a position that may be available at Seattle University. Entering students have priority for most on-campus jobs. Hourly wages currently are $15.45 per hour. View on-campus employment availability.

Students may work up to 20 hours per week when enrolled half-time or more with on-campus work study. Once hired, students must complete an I-9 form, W4 and Employment Action Form (available at Student Financial Services) within three days of working.

Do not presume if you are awarded federal work study that you will be awarded State Work Study after your first year. The State program residency and need criteria are very different and funding is limited.

The Washington State Work Study Program

The Washington State Work Study program is designed to help Washington residents (per RCW 28B.15.012) who are continuing students secure off-campus, career-related jobs. This innovative program offers students not only the opportunity to earn money while in school, but also a head start in career preparation. Wages range from $12 to $25 per hour, depending on the type of position secured. This need-based program not only helps students, but legal employers who hire our students are reimbursed a portion of student wages by the State.

Seems like from $300 - 500/week would make a nice stipend if one had a roomie. 8)

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1054 on: February 16, 2019, 11:26:13 PM »
So you're saying the federal work-study program isn't what it's billed as? That's disappointing, how could sainted bug gubmint have failed us again? :o

https://law.seattleu.edu/office-and-administration/student-financial-services/financial-aid-programs/work-study

Through either need-based federal work-study or through institutional work-study (not based on need), on-campus employment offers law students the opportunity to work in a position that may be available at Seattle University. Entering students have priority for most on-campus jobs. Hourly wages currently are $15.45 per hour. View on-campus employment availability.

Students may work up to 20 hours per week when enrolled half-time or more with on-campus work study. Once hired, students must complete an I-9 form, W4 and Employment Action Form (available at Student Financial Services) within three days of working.

Do not presume if you are awarded federal work study that you will be awarded State Work Study after your first year. The State program residency and need criteria are very different and funding is limited.

The Washington State Work Study program is designed to help Washington residents (per RCW 28B.15.012) who are continuing students secure off-campus, career-related jobs. This innovative program offers students not only the opportunity to earn money while in school, but also a head start in career preparation. Wages range from $12 to $25 per hour, depending on the type of position secured. This need-based program not only helps students, but legal employers who hire our students are reimbursed a portion of student wages by the State.

Seems like from $300 - 500/week would make a nice stipend if one had a roomie. 8)
Using a private university as your standard is kind of …  unrealistic.

The jobs were short, and often not renewed, adding quite a bit of chaos to my life.  Mine paid poorly, like a dollar over minimum wage.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1055 on: February 17, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »

You site the law as stating a wage range.  I don't see that in the law:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28B.15.012
Maybe you can help me find it.

US News says the wages are determined by the schoo and can be $9/hourl:
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/slideshows/10-facts-to-know-about-the-federal-work-study-program?slide=8

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1056 on: February 17, 2019, 02:25:24 PM »
You site the law as stating a wage range.

No I didn't.

I don't see that in the law:
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28B.15.012
Maybe you can help me find it.

I don't do strawman searches, sorry.

US News says the wages are determined by the schoo and can be $9/hourl:
https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/slideshows/10-facts-to-know-about-the-federal-work-study-program?slide=8

I'm sure there is a broad range. I simply searched your area and came up with some citations.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1057 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:33 PM »
In many cities, the wage is more like $9/hr.  The positions sometimes only last 12 weeks, and are menial.  Even some internships pay more. 

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1058 on: February 18, 2019, 11:17:13 AM »
In many cities, the wage is more like $9/hr.  The positions sometimes only last 12 weeks, and are menial.  Even some internships pay more.

Define "many cities" using statistics that can be examined.

Define how many positions and how menial.

List which internships pay more.

Finally, ask yourself why you need to attack the factual citations I posted here.

::)

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1059 on: February 21, 2019, 11:12:37 PM »
Define "many cities" using statistics that can be examined.

Define how many positions and how menial.

List which internships pay more.

Finally, ask yourself why you need to attack the factual citations I posted here.

::)
I don't owe you a dissertation.  Instead of arguing everything with everyone, you could use your time to send me job leads.  I didn't attack anything.  You are the last person on the planet I would deign to attack right now.  Your "factual citations" are not representative of most markets.  Seattle is progressive.  Private schools pay more.  Is that the best you can do?

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1060 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
I don't owe you a dissertation.

Nor were you asked to provide one, just come citation will suffice.

Instead of arguing everything with everyone, you could use your time to send me job leads.

Where...he asks yet again???

I didn't attack anything.  You are the last person on the planet I would deign to attack right now.

Attack...deny... dismiss, you pick the face card then.

Your "factual citations" are not representative of most markets.  Seattle is progressive.  Private schools pay more.  Is that the best you can do?

It remains hands down 100% better than anything you put up, no?

And Seattle is YOUR market, true? :o :o :o

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1061 on: February 25, 2019, 11:55:18 PM »
I am more concerned about coywolves taking over both coasts.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #1062 on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »
I am more concerned about coywolves taking over both coasts.
Than your own work/study discussion?

Sounds like an off-ramp to me.

Hope things are looking up, regardless.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1063 on: February 26, 2019, 11:57:20 PM »
Than your own work/study discussion?

Sounds like an off-ramp to me.

Hope things are looking up, regardless.
One person's bad list can only be so long. Right now, coywolves got put on the  list.  It was already a full list.  So, work/study had to drop off.  See how it works?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #1064 on: February 26, 2019, 11:58:07 PM »
George told us to Google something at the beginning of the show.  I couldn't hear what he was talking about, something about Las Vegas.  Doesn't sound very interesting.  What was it?