Author Topic: windows 10  (Read 9352 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: windows 10
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:45:48 AM »
Dill wine?  I bet it IS quirky.  I sure as hell wouldn't drink it. ;D

Stock up.
Are we having fun yet?

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:09 AM »
Stock up.
Firewood, water, and the Bkp Genny are all prepped.  ;)
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
Firewood, water, and the Bkp Genny are all prepped.  ;)

I’m in Lake Tahoe for a week of skiing. They have had about 6 feet of snow in the last week. Last night it got down to 11F. I want my blankie.

[attachment[/attachment]
Are we having fun yet?

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 09:38:56 AM »
I’m in Lake Tahoe for a week of skiing. They have had about 6 feet of snow in the last week. Last night it got down to 11F. I want my blankie.
LOL -  ;D
Temps will be in the mid 20's today for me. It's warmed up.
Do you have a decent pair of ski goggles ?   Snow blindness is a Bee-otch.  ;)
I hope you're having a blast. It sounds like fun.
Tuck-N-Go.  :D
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:08 AM »
Nice pic.
At first I thought there was a body impression in the snow where you put it in the tulies, then I zoomed in.  :)
The snow looks a little heavy / wet.
You need some fresh, dry powder.    ;)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:27 AM »
Nice pic.
At first I thought there was a body impression in the snow where you put it in the tulies, then I zoomed in.  :)
The snow looks a little heavy / wet.
You need some fresh, dry powder.    ;)

Northstar got 79” in the last week. Lots of powder on the slopes. Trouble is I learned to ski in Vermont and upstate NY when I was stationed at Plattsburgh. 40 years later and I still have trouble skiing in deep snow. Give me ice and I can go down any run. Make it powder and I have to stick to blues and groomed blacks. I got stuck in the woods one time in the back bowl at Vail and it took me three hours to get down. Brutal. Snow was chest deep.
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
LOL -  ;D
Temps will be in the mid 20's today for me. It's warmed up.
Do you have a decent pair of ski goggles ?   Snow blindness is a Bee-otch.  ;)
I hope you're having a blast. It sounds like fun.
Tuck-N-Go.  :D

I do have good goggles. With about 6 different colors of lenses.
Are we having fun yet?

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:52 AM »
@juan
Time for me to call it a day big guy.
I'm installing and setting up a program to test it out to see if it's comparable to QB.
Oh, you didn't get a 'No Disk Space Left' error on the Doze box you were running QB on, did you ?
This is very common - it's a bug in QB that's been there damn near 20 years or better.
QB really is nothing more than a polished turd AFAIC, but, if you want to use it, i'll help you.

Let me get this alt installed, set up, and tested. I'll probably write up a tutorial w/ screenshots and a walk-though for installing it.
I'm putting it on a Deb system, so (you did say you're on Mint, right ? ) this should be no problem for you to set it up on your box.

We should move this over to the Linux thread though, so I'll post my walk-through over there.  ;)

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 01:37:34 PM »
No, no Windows error. I’ll look forward to your fix.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:46 PM »
I have a W10 query. This may be one for @wr250 perhaps. I really hate the way 10 was forced and even more angry that I cannot control updates as on previous OS's. Question is how does W10 update even when I have the ethernet cable unplugged and my system wifi set to off? I really should revert back to 7 :-\

I have a second laptop that I keep in the basement of my rental house so it's sometimes unplugged and down for weeks on end so of course it doesn't update until I fire it back up, but that is obvious.

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
I have a W10 query. This may be one for @wr250 perhaps. I really hate the way 10 was forced and even more angry that I cannot control updates as on previous OS's. Question is how does W10 update even when I have the ethernet cable unplugged and my system wifi set to off? I really should revert back to 7 :-\

I have a second laptop that I keep in the basement of my rental house so it's sometimes unplugged and down for weeks on end so of course it doesn't update until I fire it back up, but that is obvious.
it probably turns the wifi on and updates.
the solution is to set the wifi connection to "metered" , so windows wont update using that ("except whats needed to keep windows running smoothly") .
the wired connection can be set that way as well, i use winaero tweaker to do so.
the other option is to disable WU in  services.msc . you will need to manually update by turning it back on , when finished disable it again.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
it probably turns the wifi on and updates.
the solution is to set the wifi connection to "metered" , so windows wont update using that ("except whats needed to keep windows running smoothly") .
the wired connection can be set that way as well, i use winaero tweaker to do so.
the other option is to disable WU in  services.msc . you will need to manually update by turning it back on , when finished disable it again.
Thank you!

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 04:55:37 AM »
Thank you!
to make windows defender update after you disable WU, follow the directions here
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

pissinthewind

• Nursery Resident
  • KMST
  • the uk weather man
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 07:13:40 AM »
windows 10 is just horrible the only pc I have it on is one that is offline all the time. using ubuntu on my main pc that I built last year

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 02:52:27 PM »
W10 seems to have a personal grudge against my VPN.    New thing; when I get the update notifications they inform me that "Windows is a service" etc"  Think I'd prefer 98 SE over 10.