Author Topic: New Epidemic: Fires  (Read 9209 times)

JUAN

• Ellevated
Re: New Epidemic: Fires
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
ISIS is now taking credit for the fires and promises more.
Merry Christmas

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »
Aaak. Spoke too soon. Overcast was gone by 9:00. Hot and dry again - currently 22% humidity. It's giving me (another) headache. At least the wind has stopped

Yeah. Must be ISIS  ::)
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:13:21 PM »
ISIS is now taking credit for the fires and promises more.

They take credit for everything so call me skeptical.  Though Spain, Greece, etc has had a history of "migrants" setting fires, as have we. Homeless also. And just crazy firebugs. But often, as seems to possibly be the case at least in one case, faulty electric grid maintenance (hey Norry get on this.  ;) ) are often a cause.  As are accidents like discarded cigarettes, trailer chains, welding, and field work. Frankly I'm surprised when they can identify the source of some of these wild fires but, apparently, they can.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
They take credit for everything so call me skeptical.  Though Spain, Greece, etc has had a history of "migrants" setting fires, as have we. Homeless also. And just crazy firebugs. But often, as seems to possibly be the case at least in one case, faulty electric grid maintenance (hey Norry get on this.  ;) ) are often a cause.  As are accidents like discarded cigarettes, trailer chains, welding, and field work. Frankly I'm surprised when they can identify the source of some of these wild fires but, apparently, they can.

When the winds whipped up so badly in San Diego (gusts up to 80 mph) SDGE shut power off in some areas due to concern that power lines might fall. A pain but very smart

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »
When the winds whipped up so badly in San Diego (gusts up to 80 mph) SDGE shut power off in some areas due to concern that power lines might fall. A pain but very smart
Yeah, better safe than sorry and some inconvenience rather than risk some more fires. A few years back one of our bad fires was started by the wind knocking a line down and another was a guy on his tractor shredding and the chains hit a rock and another who was welding. Or so they say, in the latter ones it was reported by the guys but spread so quick it was too late to put out before it spread. It is amazingly scary how quickly fires can move. One time I saw a fire start up in the median from someone's trailer chain drooping down on the highway and sparking. It was put out quickly and had nowhere to go but it is not hard in dry conditions for things to start. Keep safe.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 04:10:26 PM »
Yeah, better safe than sorry and some inconvenience rather than risk some more fires. A few years back one of our bad fires was started by the wind knocking a line down and another was a guy on his tractor shredding and the chains hit a rock and another who was welding. Or so they say, in the latter ones it was reported by the guys but spread so quick it was too late to put out before it spread. It is amazingly scary how quickly fires can move. One time I saw a fire start up in the median from someone's trailer chain drooping down on the highway and sparking. It was put out quickly and had nowhere to go but it is not hard in dry conditions for things to start. Keep safe.

Thanks, Al

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Back in 1998, there were severe forest fires across northeast Florida where I lived. The combination was heavy rainfall in the winter leading to heavy underbrush growth, then a late spring drought, low humidity and high winds. There was a guy from one of the state's universities that had developed a fire resisting compound.  He went out and sprayed it on a couple of houses near Daytona Beach, and while the forest and homes surrounding them burned to the ground, these two houses survived with only singing.  I wonder what happened to that stuff.
Merry Christmas

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 05:43:18 PM »
Back in 1998, there were severe forest fires across northeast Florida where I lived. The combination was heavy rainfall in the winter leading to heavy underbrush growth, then a late spring drought, low humidity and high winds. There was a guy from one of the state's universities that had developed a fire resisting compound.  He went out and sprayed it on a couple of houses near Daytona Beach, and while the forest and homes surrounding them burned to the ground, these two houses survived with only singing.  I wonder what happened to that stuff.
New stuff? I know they drop fire retardant all the time on fires but maybe there are different kinds. Sadly a lot of times bureaucratic rules inhibit fire-fighting I see this happened in California recently also.

Some years back here: 
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2011/09/firefighting-dc-10-remains-grounded.html

More currently: 
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-largest-firefighting-aircraft-grounded-by-u-s-govt/

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
There are a few companies that make that if I recall correctly. One was a spray on liquid that you would coat your house's exterior with, another was a gel product to apply to the exterior, and there was also a foam based product. They supposedly worked well when embers in the air would land on the house, they would not allow the fire to spread to the structure.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 02:36:21 AM »

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 03:39:55 PM »
DC-10 and Global Supertanker 747 - McClellan Air Force Base

Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.

21st Century Man

• Ellightened
  • Board Satyr and Fetishmeister
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2018, 08:21:27 PM »
Just to put everything in perspective.  Fires are way down compared to the first half of the 20th Century.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"Supernatural, perhaps. Baloney, perhaps not. There are many things under the sun." - Bela Lugosi as Dr. Vitus Verdegast in The Black Cat.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Just to put everything in perspective.  Fires are way down compared to the first half of the 20th Century.

You need to average in population and technology.
Glad you changed your avatar back.
+1 ;) ;D

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 04:06:19 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2023, 12:19:07 PM »

Just look at the smoke in the Manhattan District of New York, around two o'clock this afternoon.  From those fires up in Canada.