Author Topic: Should the Pope resign?  (Read 9161 times)

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
Re: Should the Pope resign?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2018, 11:23:11 PM »
Francis might be a Jesuit, but he is far from a leftist.  Research his role during the Dirty War in Argentina, and his vocal support of invading the Falklands.

Jesuits are complicated. They teach personnel choice and free will.
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 11:24:45 PM »
Then he differs from his fellow Jevvies; but those in the Catholic clergy are not supposed to be involved in political matters. But the Jesuits are notorious for doing it anyway, no matter which side they take.

Roswells or Dittos  ;)

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2018, 12:43:03 AM »

True. I've done extensive studies of the earliest days of the Church just to learn how things became the way they are. This problem goes all the way back to the beginnings and has continued ever since. I'm a former Benedictine monk and have some first hand knowledge of what goes on. I also left the Church when I left the religious life, and this was one of the reasons.

My former monastery:  glastonburyabbey.org

Do you know of any available academic researched information/books about the early Catholic Church was a safe haven for homosexual men?

Adam Baum

• KNYE
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2018, 12:02:54 PM »
Do you know of any available academic researched information/books about the early Catholic Church was a safe haven for homosexual men?

Not specifically, no. But an open minded study of the biographies of the early Church fathers suggests it. The misogynistic policies and doctrines (some of which still survive e.g. women may not be ordained as priests) suggests it. Bear in mind that homosexual Catholic clergy are bound by the same rules of celibacy as heterosexuals. One is forbidden to diddle or sodomize young boys or men just as heterosexual clerics are forbidden to have relations with women. In my monastic community there were homosexuals. Most remained celibate, but some did not and were discharged. Consider the attractiveness that a community of men only would have for homosexual men. There would be temptation for one so oriented. I did not care about anyone's orientation, only that they obey the rules of celibacy required of us all. And those rules were more than rules, they were sacred vows.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »
Not specifically, no. But an open minded study of the biographies of the early Church fathers suggests it. The misogynistic policies and doctrines (some of which still survive e.g. women may not be ordained as priests) suggests it. Bear in mind that homosexual Catholic clergy are bound by the same rules of celibacy as heterosexuals. One is forbidden to diddle or sodomize young boys or men just as heterosexual clerics are forbidden to have relations with women. In my monastic community there were homosexuals. Most remained celibate, but some did not and were discharged. Consider the attractiveness that a community of men only would have for homosexual men. There would be temptation for one so oriented. I did not care about anyone's orientation, only that they obey the rules of celibacy required of us all. And those rules were more than rules, they were sacred vows.

You never hear of this sort of thing with the Greek Orthodox lot, and the Greeks practically invented boy-buggering.

Adam Baum

• KNYE
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
You never hear of this sort of thing with the Greek Orthodox lot, and the Greeks practically invented boy-buggering.

Aye, 'tis true, but because you don't hear of it doesn't mean it's non existent. I suspect it goes on to one degree or another in all faiths and sects.
And I still say you look like one of the Moody Blues!

The Spartans were well known to be a gay lot, but you wouldn't want to have a go with them. Superb soldiers.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »

The Greek Orthodox Church allows married men to become priests.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2018, 01:28:56 PM »
They were simply the first to put it in writing.
Merry Christmas

Adam Baum

• KNYE
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 01:39:57 PM »
The Greek Orthodox Church allows married men to become priests.

True, but allowing Catholic priests to marry would not solve the pedophilia problem. I'm all for allowing priests to marry. The celibacy rule is outdated and limits the number of good men who would otherwise have a priestly vocation. The Church has a big problem attracting men to become priests under present conditions. Toward the end of my tenure as a Benedictine monk I acquired a girlfriend; a lovely young lady from Miami. I assure you that hastened my departure. We eventually broke up and I married another to whom I've been Married to for 47 years.

Inglorious Bitch

• Official EllGab Greeter
  • KNYE
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »

I assure you that hastened my departure. We eventually broke up and I married another to whom I've been Married to for 47 years.

WOW! That's a lifetime! Congratulations.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »

Toward the end of my tenure as a Benedictine monk I acquired a girlfriend;

It would be towards the end, I guess. Reports of you turning up at the local nightclub dressed in your monk's habit must have been hard to keep from the abbot.

Adam Baum

• KNYE
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
WOW! That's a lifetime! Congratulations.

Thank you. Sadly, a marriage that long lasting seems to be a rarity in our society nowadays.

Adam Baum

• KNYE
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2018, 02:00:48 PM »
It would be towards the end, I guess. Reports of you turning up at the local nightclub dressed in your monk's habit must have been hard to keep from the abbot.

It certainly attracted his notice, and I was forced to make a life decision. She was far more attractive than the abbot anyway.

My monastery was named Glastonbury after the famous abbey in Merrie Olde Englande. We even received a cutting of the Glastonbury thorn tree to plant on our grounds.

Kingfish

• KDWN
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »

True, but allowing Catholic priests to marry would not solve the pedophilia problem. I'm all for allowing priests to marry. The celibacy rule is outdated and limits the number of good men who would otherwise have a priestly vocation. The Church has a big problem attracting men to become priests under present conditions. Toward the end of my tenure as a Benedictine monk I acquired a girlfriend; a lovely young lady from Miami. I assure you that hastened my departure. We eventually broke up and I married another to whom I've been Married to for 47 years.

What percentage of pedophiles are married men?

Adam Baum

• KNYE
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »
What percentage of pedophiles are married men?

Quien sabe?  Not sure that stats on that are kept.