Author Topic: Technology Tidbits  (Read 28985 times)

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
Re: Technology Tidbits
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2018, 06:35:59 AM »
 U.S. Senator Bans Funding for Beerbots That Don’t Exist timestamp: 31:15
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
AI sucks at stopping online trolls spewing toxic comments timestamp 29:18

Swishy Pants will not be stopped!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »
Isn't there 'stuff' n 'chips' anyway? Even IF you arent dealing with notorious routers or internet or cell networks etc. That are exploitable even by design or once might attempt connections or even do so remotely without command (assuming not air gapped, etc?) In other words can one 'trust' even the basics? Obviously the connections and peripherals are compromised, by design?
Here's some info on Air Gap Malware.   ;)

Long, but detailed:  https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/4/226377-bridgeware/fulltext
Short but sweet:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_gap_malware
Medium length:  https://www.thesslstore.com/blog/air-gapped-computer/

Trust nothing unless you wrote the code yourself, and then only in moderation.    ;)      ;D
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
That’s why I use my 1933 Remington Noiseless Portable typewriter and a sheet of paper for anything important.
Merry Christmas

Whistler

• Drone Pilot
  • We call ourselves the Nightstalkers...
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »
That’s why I use my 1933 Remington Noiseless Portable typewriter and a sheet of paper for anything important.
Flash Paper ?  ;)     ;D
It may be that your sole purpose in life, is to serve as a warning to others.   :o

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
I need a garage remote.  I can't afford one.  Here is what I have access to.  Is these supplies enough to make a remote or "camp" on top of someone else's remote when they are home so they don't have to let me in? @wr250

1.  315MHZ transmitter, one button
2.  315MHZ Chamberlain garage door system with purple learn button.
3.  A working, installed wired wall switch with red and white terminals.
4. A door combo pad outside the garage which is not in use.
5.  A non-operational Lift Master 81LM single button remote which is not compatible per the manufacturer.
6.  Limited access (but not possession of) a working, single-button 950CD remote.

I want to use the transmitter to operate the working remote when we both are home.  Can I remote a remote?

wr250

• Elluminati
  • tux the magic penguin
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2018, 04:52:41 AM »
Is these supplies enough to make a remote or "camp" on top of someone else's remote when they are home so they don't have to let me in? @wr250

no, you cant.
if your garage door opener is "smart" , you can get the chamberlin app to open/close it with a phone/tablet.
statistics can be used to prove anything. 14% of the people know this.
https://lptd.home.blog/

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2018, 02:27:48 AM »
no, you cant.
if your garage door opener is "smart" , you can get the chamberlin app to open/close it with a phone/tablet.
Thank you.  I was going bonkers trying.  I'll look into the smart thing!

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
Okay, this question will surely be lame to all you younger tech wizards, but you guys are a wealth of knowledge on damn near any subject.
So in a week, my 2 year contract with verizon will end. At which time I'll probably upgrade my existing Galaxy S5.
Ive never used or even touched an Apple product. When I asked the twenty something yo girls at starbucks which iphone they would suggest, they said, in so many words, "dude, you're old, better stay with android", (I'm 59). So the question is, and i realize it is subjective, what difficulties would I encounter switching to an iphone, if any?

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2018, 08:12:45 AM »
Also, in "shopping" phones online, I've come across "Whitedome" screen protectors, where you place phone in a tray, put liquid adhesive on, apply glass screen protector, apply UV light, etc. (I think it'd be easier to remove my own appendix!).
Is this system/brand really worth the sixty dollar online price?

Im leaning towards a Galaxy S9, and I'm reading online, "issues" with screen protectors on the rounded edges  of the S9.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2018, 08:29:51 AM »
I’m older than you. I switched to an iPhone a few years ago. I can hear it much better. Remember that our generations invented all of this cool stuff.
Merry Christmas

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »
Also, in "shopping" phones online, I've come across "Whitedome" screen protectors, where you place phone in a tray, put liquid adhesive on, apply glass screen protector, apply UV light, etc. (I think it'd be easier to remove my own appendix!).
Is this system/brand really worth the sixty dollar online price?

Im leaning towards a Galaxy S9, and I'm reading online, "issues" with screen protectors on the rounded edges  of the S9.
The Whitedome screen protectors if installed correctly look very good. Their install process does minimize bubbles but you can also still end up with bubbles or cracked edges in some cases. I don't know about the long term durability of them as the ones I have seen were relatively new installs.

I would go with the inexpensive ones though, as I have installed many over the years, both liquid and dry installs. With the inexpensive ones, you usually get a few in the package and if you have never installed one you may need more than one to get a bubble free install. The most important thing is to install them in a completely (as possible) dust free room with no fans on. ANY small spec of dust that lands on the surface of the phone between the short time you clean the screen and when you place the protector on the phone will cause a bubble. Some of the bubbles can be worked out but some cannot without a reinstall. I have used several brands and have had good results. Check the ones with a lot of good reviews on Amazon.

One thing that is a must for expensive phones is a silicon or rubber case that slips on and protects the edges and corners. These can be lifesavers if the phone is dropped. They do add a little thickness to the phone though.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
I’m older than you. I switched to an iPhone a few years ago. I can hear it much better. Remember that our generations invented all of this cool stuff.
Yes ... and a lot of the cool stuff today has its roots in the NASA space program of the 1960's.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
Yes ... and a lot of the cool stuff today has its roots in the NASA space program of the 1960's.
Like Tang.
Merry Christmas

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »
Yes Max, upon further review, (as they say in NFL), I'm going for the ten dollar screen protectors. Gonna get the S9.