Author Topic: 2019 NFL Season  (Read 37094 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: 2019 NFL Season
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 08:08:45 PM »
... new MNF commentator Booger McFarland...

Several years ago I was driving at night and there wasn't a thing on the radio, so I ended up listening to a San Jose St game on, I think, ESPN network.

I remember some lady was on the announcing team, and her voice was just godawful.  Really grating and obnoxious.  I don't really watch sports anymore, and hadn't seen a MNF game in quite some time, but one night a year or two ago I was flipping around the channels and began watching one.

Holt shit, that voice.  That lady was doing the Monday Night game.  Hell, I remember when MNF was an EVENT - they usually had the best game every week, and had some pretty good announcers.  But now...

I turned it off that night.  I think her name turned out to be Doris something.  Terrible.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 11:20:41 PM »
Several years ago I was driving at night and there wasn't a thing on the radio, so I ended up listening to a San Jose St game on, I think, ESPN network.

I remember some lady was on the announcing team, and her voice was just godawful.  Really grating and obnoxious.  I don't really watch sports anymore, and hadn't seen a MNF game in quite some time, but one night a year or two ago I was flipping around the channels and began watching one.

Holt shit, that voice.  That lady was doing the Monday Night game.  Hell, I remember when MNF was an EVENT - they usually had the best game every week, and had some pretty good announcers.  But now...

I turned it off that night.  I think her name turned out to be Doris something.  Terrible.

I remember that. I hated her. She announced. Once
“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 03:35:17 AM »
Do you mean Beth Mowins? She’s terrible and seems to always use a mic bought at Woolworth’s for 99-cents.
Merry Christmas

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 04:43:37 AM »
Do you mean Beth Mowins? She’s terrible and seems to always use a mic bought at Woolworth’s for 99-cents.

Beth, that was it.

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 04:15:52 PM »
That lady was doing the Monday Night game.  Hell, I remember when MNF was an EVENT - they usually had the best game every week, and had some pretty good announcers.  But now...

When Sunday Night Football debut in 2006 and MNF went from ABC to ESPN at the same time is when MNF quality went down as SNF has become the main show. Even Thursday game seem to have better quality now that Fox has picked up most of the games. Monday got a lot of "left over" games, case in point this coming weekend has Browns vs Jets, which sound horrible (and I like the Jets)

Speaking of Thursday, who would have guessed Caroline Panthers being 0-2 and losing both their home games. Crazy how they might be already out of it being in a tough division with Saints and Falcons, losing those early home games and to who people consider the weak link in the division in the Bucks.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 08:15:10 PM »
... Speaking of Thursday, who would have guessed Caroline Panthers being 0-2 and losing both their home games. Crazy how they might be already out of it being in a tough division with Saints and Falcons, losing those early home games and to who people consider the weak link in the division in the Bucks.

I love it.  It wasn't all that long ago when their ass-wipe QB was insufferably displaying his lack of class during games, and telling other teams if they didn't like it they should stop him.   I wonder how that's working out for him now.

Last thing I remember hearing from him was the post-Super Bowl Q&A.  Still a favorite sports photo.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2019, 12:12:13 AM »

Oooh! We're playing the Saints this weekend. I see many touchdowns in my future 🐱

“I'll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.” - Herman Melville

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
... I bet the Browns would do better if they changed their team name. That's just a shitty name to be stuck with...

Welll... The Browns were named after their co-founder and first head coach, Paul Brown, a hall of famer and one of the most influential coaches in league history.  From their inception in the 1940s up to the Super Bowl era, they were one of the most dominant teams in the league, with a ton of great players - starting with Jim Brown and Otto Graham.  Many - if not most - of the great coaches over the years can trace their coaching linage back to Paul Brown.

There is a lot of history associated with that name, certainly for the Cleveland fans.  So much so that when punk-ass owner at the time Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore in the mid-1990s (and changed the name to Ravens), the fans insisted on retaining the name and colors for a hoped for expansion team, which they received a few years after the original team left.  I think they actually sued to keep the name, colors, etc, and claim the old Brown's history as part of the current team.  They aren't going to change it. 

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
Welll... The Browns were named after their co-founder and first head coach, Paul Brown, a hall of famer and one of the most influential coaches in league history.  From their inception in the 1940s up to the Super Bowl era, they were one of the most dominant teams in the league, with a ton of great players - starting with Jim Brown and Otto Graham.  Many - if not most - of the great coaches over the years can trace their coaching linage back to Paul Brown.

There is a lot of history associated with that name, certainly for the Cleveland fans.  So much so that when punk-ass owner at the time Art Modell moved the team to Baltimore in the mid-1990s (and changed the name to Ravens), the fans insisted on retaining the name and colors for a hoped for expansion team, which they received a few years after the original team left.  I think they actually sued to keep the name, colors, etc, and claim the old Brown's history as part of the current team.  They aren't going to change it.

I was just trying to be cute. As usual I was unsuccessful

But wow! They looked awesome tonight. I'm glad Odell looks happy in his new forever home. And I have a new crush. The Rob Roy of football

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »

But wow! They looked awesome tonight. I'm glad Odell looks happy in his new forever home. And I have a new crush. The Rob Roy of football

You’re just trying to make me jealous.
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:55 PM »
You’re just trying to make me jealous.

Nah, hon. There's only one you  :-*

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 12:21:42 AM »

But wow! They looked awesome tonight. I'm glad Odell looks happy in his new forever home...

Nope, this is the NFL - the No Fun League - no room for humor
 :o

Zetaspeak

• Elluminati
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:21 PM »
The Jets losing their starting QB to a kissing disease is pretty much what you expect from them. But losing their backup QB in game, now that's a special type of jinx on this team

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2019, 02:07:50 PM »
The Jets losing their starting QB to a kissing disease is pretty much what you expect from them. But losing their backup QB in game, now that's a special type of jinx on this team

Will they sign Kapernick?
Are we having fun yet?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2019, 09:19:01 PM »
I was just trying to be cute. As usual I was unsuccessful...

So what about these folks?