Author Topic: Ask Bart Anything  (Read 741367 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Ask Bart Anything
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
I think being able to like or dislike a post could be misused (if you cared about what people think about what you post), it could stop people posting on the forum (thus keeping the board streamlined, or curtail further conversation).

However this is EllGab, everyone is adulty enough to rise above favouritism, and if they aren’t we’ll enjoy the arguments that ensue. For me the takeaway is if you don’t have the balls to reply to it, you maybe shouldn’t have the right to like or dislike it, thus in effect potentially negating the need for like and dislikes.

*/reported

*Just checking to make sure I still had balls
Are we having fun yet?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »
I think being able to like or dislike a post could be misused (if you cared about what people think about what you post), it could stop people posting on the forum (thus keeping the board streamlined, or curtail further conversation).

However this is EllGab, everyone is adulty enough to rise above favouritism, and if they aren’t we’ll enjoy the arguments that ensue. For me the takeaway is if you don’t have the balls to reply to it, you maybe shouldn’t have the right to like or dislike it, thus in effect potentially negating the need for like and dislikes.

It wasn't like/dislike, it was just LIKE.
I thought I would add it and change it to a THANKS feature.
Lots of people spend time uploading screengrabs or audio files and I figured it was a way for people to acknowledge their efforts.

2Lord2Grantham

• KDWN
  • WSGW
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Don't change a thing. Let them cry.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2018, 11:13:06 AM »
Dear Bart

I just made my 500th post.. May I be Drone Pilot now? Thanks for your consideration in advance

Praise BE and Praise be!

TW

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
Dear Bart

I just made my 500th post.. May I be Drone Pilot now? Thanks for your consideration in advance

Praise BE and Praise be!

TW

That’s not the drone he was looking for.
Are we having fun yet?

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »
oh wowee.. i am drone pilot.. thanks   :) :) :) :) :) :)

:) ::)

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
In most groups subtle alliances and undercurrents develop over time.  I typically didn't used to consider such things, treating most people equally until proven otherwise.  But knowing one's audience is an idea worth considering if you don't want to be Pollyanish at best, or superficial or isolated at worst.

The karma meter kind of gives me clues about who I am talking to.  Before I confront someone with huge karma, I prepare to defend my position, bec they are going to have backup! I usually look at many angles before I present opinions to them, bec they didn't get all their karma by being silly!

But if I confront someone with negative karma, the only response back is likely to be theirs.  I might take more risks and see what I get back.

Also, when I see very negative karma, I don't take hasty comments to heart.  I also can review the person's post history to see if they were forced wrongly into bad karma just by being railroaded or something.  With Mars in Libra and a Leo moon, this is right up my protective alley!  Then I can kind of be supportive of that person, or remind them of why they lack support.  Supporting a poster who has been mobbed is not a karma-point booster, so again there can be valid reasons for having somewhat low karma.  I don't judge people with low karma.  Some of the nicest people here have low karma, simply bec they don't post frequently, or bec they don't generate strong reactions.  But they are bread and butter here.  If everyone were to "shine", we might all be blinded to each other.

Sometimes people support my positions and I really appreciate it.  I've also received many instances of specific, constructive feedback, even about my style.  The karma meter enables people to elbow me, or kick my toes under the table, without making a big deal of it, so we can keep on flowing...

Celebrities like Bart, or posters who clearly have specific goals which kind of give them one special role, kind of celebrity-ish, receive accolades of karma.  But for regular posters without fixed roles, the karma meter is a spectrum, not a scale. Each person decides where they are comfortable.  It's like money:  One needs plenty enough, but beyond that more is not necessarily better.  More can be an indication of pandering or superficiality.  Likewise, excess wealth creates security risks (being used, being abused, theft, ransom, blackmail), substance addiction, class warfare, management complications, greed, and inflation ($3,000 handbags, vulture-like fees/expenses).

When an experienced poster has somewhat low karma, remember that it may have been gotten through earnest, progressive exchange, and low karma is just fine.  It is not a negative thing.  It can mean one has the courage to present controversial matter.

Sure, the whole karma thing can at times seem juvenile, but it gives readers a way to passively state their opinions without conflict.  And at the very least, it is a reminder to aim to have fun.  There are discussion forums all over, but we traditionally have incorporated a great amount of humor and fun.  It's not wrong to see one's karma dip, and to ask oneself if one has gotten stodgy  ::).

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
Dear Bart,

Before today did you envision the need for an airsoft gun?

Respectfully,
Mssr Sucks
Are we having fun yet?

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Dear Bart,

Before today you you envision the need for an airsoft gun?

Respectfully,
Mssr Sucks
:P

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »

Congratulations, Tootsie!  You deserve it!

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
Congratulations, Tootsie!  You deserve it!

thanks so much   :)

Inglorious Bitch

• Official EllGab Greeter
  • KNYE
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

Or bleach, a shovel and plastic bags?

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »

Congrats TW! Fly carefully!

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
Dear Bart,

Respectfully,
Mssr Sucks

I will stick to backhand slaps like an unpaid pimp.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
Congrats TW! Fly carefully!

i will .. thanks   :)