Author Topic: Fruit and Vegetable Labels  (Read 175317 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: Fruit and Vegetable Labels
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2019, 07:01:29 PM »
Thanks GS, I was leaning  in that direction but not sure at all. 👍

Looks like that hat, which I believe is the M1902 or M1911 Campaign hat, began in 1902 and was used off and on until WWII

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/camph.htm

An early version was used as early as 1898. https://thelastbestwest.com/shop/cowboy-hats/military-hats/1898-campaign-hat/

I can’t see the rifle very well but it resembles a M1903 Springfield.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield

Are we having fun yet?

Caith

• KMST
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
Looks like that hat, which I believe is the M1902 or M1911 Campaign hat, began in 1902 and was used off and on until WWII

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/camph.htm

An early version was used as early as 1898. https://thelastbestwest.com/shop/cowboy-hats/military-hats/1898-campaign-hat/

I can’t see the rifle very well but it resembles a M1903 Springfield.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1903_Springfield

I had no idea how much information could come from a hat! I really thought it would be the uniforms that would tell the story! Also, had no idea how much one of those hats would cost! Holy Moly!
Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2019, 07:23:13 PM »
I had no idea how much information could come from a hat! I really thought it would be the uniforms that would tell the story! Also, had no idea how much one of those hats would cost! Holy Moly!

The uniforms with the knickers are a real strong clue but I am not familiar with when they were in use. They were definitely a throwback to the cavalry days but I don’t know if they used them throughout WWI or not. Rikki has a lot of experience posting WWI photos so he may know.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Here you go, Caith.  Your picture was part of a 1917 recrutiment poster for American involvement in World War One.  Your partial picture was kind of like a puzzle.  I don't think any of us would have known that there was a dog in the illustration.  haha. (Courtesy of the Library of Congress.)
https://www.imgrumweb.com/post/BqUuL0FgUQf

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »

Here you go, Caith.  Your picture was part of a 1917 recrutiment poster for American involvement in World War One.  Your partial picture was kind of like a puzzle.  I don't think any of us would have known that there was a dog in the illustration.  haha. (Courtesy of the Library of Congress.)

I saw the dog. I was going to comment that it was too bad we couldn’t see how many stars were on the flag.

Good find Rikki
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
I saw the dog. I was going to comment that it was too bad we couldn’t see how many stars were on the flag.

Good find Rikki

Thanks, Gravity.  Oh yeah, I can see the dog's head there, now that you pointed it out.  ha ha.   

Caith

• KMST
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:09 PM »

Good find Rikki

You all are unbelievable!  My eyes are crossed from looking at page after page of pictures .I wish my picture looked as nice as your post ....instead mine looks like it's gone through war. I really appreciate all the help. ☺

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2019, 08:04:35 PM »
You all are unbelievable!  My eyes are crossed from looking at page after page of pictures .I wish my picture looked as nice as your post ....instead mine looks like it's gone through war. I really appreciate all the help. ☺

You are very welcome, Caith.  You still have a neat, framed picture there.  That it looks old and worn makes it seem extra cool, actually. 

Caith

• KMST
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2019, 08:21:31 PM »
You are very welcome, Caith.  You still have a neat, framed picture there.  That it looks old and worn makes it seem extra cool, actually.
It  really grabbed my eyes when I first saw it. I've kicked myself over the years for not getting an old B&W group picture of soldiers dressed in their uniforms. They were all lined up in neat rows and was like a panoramic effect, very wide pic and not so tall.  I bet there was a connection to the pic I have.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
« Reply #459 on: April 17, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »
Obviously,  this isn't a label! I'm hoping someone might know if the soldiers in this picture were wearing uniforms from the Spanish American War,  WW1,  or another time in our history.  I'm really mostly interested in knowing the approximate time in history. I bought this years ago at a local pawn shop for a dollar and haven't had much luck online finding answers. I took the back off the frame and it looks like this was taken from a larger picture and wondered if it might have been a recruitment poster. Thanks to  Rikki Gins and 26 Horses for their help!

What an outstanding collectible that is!

As I said, Riki's your man on this kind of stuff - bit of a forum treasure he is.

The frame is very cool.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #460 on: April 17, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »
What an outstanding collectible that is!

As I said, Riki's your man on this kind of stuff - bit of a forum treasure he is.

The frame is very cool.

Very nice of you to say.  Thank you, 26.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #461 on: April 17, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #462 on: April 17, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
Very nice of you to say.  Thank you, 26.

My pleasure sir, your threads, even the ones I don't post in, are literally the cream of the crop here. You bring readers a living continuum of history that would otherwise fade away under the glare of technology and the national short attention span. And you do it in a Pinterest kind of way that engages eyeballs and interest. Some trick that! ;)

Caith

• KMST
« Reply #463 on: April 17, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »
My pleasure sir, your threads, even the ones I don't post in, are literally the cream of the crop here. You bring readers a living continuum of history that would otherwise fade away under the glare of technology and the national short attention span. And you do it in a Pinterest kind of way that engages eyeballs and interest. Some trick that! ;)
You sre so right! Both of you really helped me yesterday and I can't believe I finally have an answer to something that has had me wondering for the past 30 years!  My little picture is looking even better on the mantle than 24 hours ago! LOL! 

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #464 on: April 17, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
You sre so right! Both of you really helped me yesterday and I can't believe I finally have an answer to something that has had me wondering for the past 30 years!  My little picture is looking even better on the mantle than 24 hours ago! LOL!

Aw that's very cool Caith, you just became an episode in 'Antiques Roadshow - Ellgab edition'!

;)