Author Topic: Was Richard Hoagland really A Science Adviser to Walter Cronkite?  (Read 1349 times)

henge0stone

• KIDD
I have found no evidence anywhere online except for his bio. Wikipedia seems to be somewhat critical of these claims since they are only found in his own bio. I guess a copyright on a Planetarium show is the first thing that seems to be official.  Being a Planetarium lecturer with a radio show seems to be the only thing that seems to have supportive evidence.

Since he has no degree in anything I wonder how he would go from a Planeterium lecturer to science adviser. Seems unlikely to me but back in the 60s maybe you didn't need a degree for everything, perhaps they had 100s of random science advisers from planetariums? Who knows. I don't think we can just trust Hoagland's word on it though...

PB

• Ellevated
Re: Was Richard Hoagland really A Science Adviser to Walter Cronkite?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
Kronkite lied to the American people every night about what was happening in Viet Nam, I doubt he was too worried about scientific accuracy either.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »
My memory is sketchy, but I recall Hoagland just commented with the network on one specific event related to NASA.  Maybe "adviser" for a day?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 06:42:56 PM »
I recall that Richard spoke of riding in an open-top Cadillac with Walter and a lady who, I assume, was one of Walter's aids, or his makeup artist, or something like that.  I guess they were heading to wherever it was that Richard's expertise in science would be needed.  Was it off camera advising, I wonder?  Otherwise there would be a film clip or an audio clip that should have surfaced by now.  Shay used the best word here...sketchy.  The proof is sketchy at best.  Likewise, Richard's relationship with his dear friend Arthur C. Clarke.  Where is the proof that Richard ever corresponded, or talked with, Mr. Clarke?

But in Richard's defense, I do have proof that he knew the great science writer Isaac Asimov.  I read an Asimov article once, where he described being on a cruise ship to witness the taking off of Apollo 17, the last manned mission to the moon.   Asimov wrote that as the time for the launch approached, he discovered that he had been given a substandard spot from which to view the rocket shoot from.  Richard Hoagland happened by and hearing of the author's plight, was able to find a much improved vantage point for Asimov to see the launch from. 

There were lots of top notch sci-fi writers and scientists on the cruise, which lasted for a number of days.  Seminars were held, and even Richard himself presented one on the space shuttle.

http://file770.com/the-1972-sf-author-cruise-to-the-final-apollo-launch/

Open Lines Gerry

• KDWN
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:14:30 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Azzerae

• Nursery Resident
  • KNYE
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 08:08:34 AM »
Kronkite lied to the American people every night about what was happening in Viet Nam, I doubt he was too worried about scientific accuracy either.
Viet Nam is the new China. Who would not like to fap to that?
not well-liked, but right

Ghost BEP

• Ghosted
  • Ellightened
  • It’s my Woo Show and Jim can cry if he wants to.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Hoagie’s full of shit. Although I have heard that he met Jared Fogel at a Subway meet and greet.
Be wary of phony kleptos with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.