Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503339 times)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • "I am fond of the sound of horses in the night."
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #795 on: February 10, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #796 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »

I stepped out of my grandfather's poolhall in Monroe, Oregon one summer day and as I walked down the sidewalk I saw a complete train of covered wagons coming down the street.  The guy leading the wagon train was a Mr. George McUne, who got the idea of retracing the famous Oregon Trail, with modern day horses and covered wagons.  He had it tied in with Oregon's centennial, which was back in 1958.  So I was nine years old when the wagon train trundled by on Monroe's main street.  They were on the last leg of the trip, no doubt.  I remember that the people on the wagon train were all dressed up in pioneer clothing.  Mr. McUne would later run a tourist attraction called Pioneer Village (shown above) in the town of Jacksonville, Oregon.   
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97652851/george-mcune

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #797 on: February 11, 2019, 02:38:54 AM »
Sorry, Rikki, this will be a long one. I thought if you didn't mind, I could post a set for Valentines' week.

Time spent with cats is never wasted.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #798 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:43 AM »
I stepped out of my grandfather's poolhall in Monroe, Oregon one summer day and as I walked down the sidewalk I saw a complete train of covered wagons coming down the street.  The guy leading the wagon train was a Mr. George McUne, who got the idea of retracing the famous Oregon Trail, with modern day horses and covered wagons.  He had it tied in with Oregon's centennial, which was back in 1958.  So I was nine years old when the wagon train trundled by on Monroe's main street.  They were on the last leg of the trip, no doubt.  I remember that the people on the wagon train were all dressed up in pioneer clothing.  Mr. McUne would later run a tourist attraction called Pioneer Village (shown above) in the town of Jacksonville, Oregon.   
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/97652851/george-mcune

That would have been a very cool sight to see!  With all the development - especially including freeways - it would probably be impossible today. 

I know there are a lot of old cars out there being kept as a hobby in people's garages, but I never see wagons, carriages, or any horse drawn vehicles.  They're probably still out there though - perhaps in barns where folks have more room.  The Wells Fargo museum in downtown SF has an old stagecoach, and the branch next to it has another one (both free to visit during business hours)

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #799 on: February 11, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #800 on: February 11, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
People forget or may not know Canada had an 'old west' too - prairie, cattle, mining, gold, timber, furs, covered wagons, homesteading, Indians.  This scene from Winnipeg looks as if it could be from any western US city at the time.  Horse drawn wagons and carriages, a bicycle, and an electric trolley car.  No gas powered vehicles in sight at all makes me wonder if the photo was taken a few years before the card was mailed.

Check out the cancellation dates.  It was mailed from Winnipeg April 18 1906 and arrived in Oakland April 22.  Not bad.  The great SF earthquake of 1906 occurred on April 18.

The stamp is Edward VII, oldest son of Queen Victoria, whom he succeeded upon her death in 1902.

I'm curious what the three men in the lower right are doing.  They appear to be looking at something on the ground, possibly in or near the other set of trolley tracks.  Man on the left is poking at something with a stick

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #801 on: February 11, 2019, 07:13:22 PM »
People forget or may not know Canada had an 'old west' too - prairie, cattle, mining, gold, timber, furs, covered wagons, homesteading, Indians.  This scene from Winnipeg looks as if it could be from any western US city at the time.  Horse drawn wagons and carriages, a bicycle, and an electric trolley car.  No gas powered vehicles in sight at all makes me wonder if the photo was taken a few years before the card was mailed.

Check out the cancellation dates.  It was mailed from Winnipeg April 18 1906 and arrived in Oakland April 22.  Not bad.  The great SF earthquake of 1906 occurred on April 18.

The stamp is Edward VII, oldest son of Queen Victoria, whom he succeeded upon her death in 1902.

I'm curious what the three men in the lower right are doing.  They appear to be looking at something on the ground, possibly in or near the other set of trolley tracks.  Man on the left is poking at something with a stick

Works Progress Administration?

Re: earlier comment. Yes, Canada has a great Western tradition. Calgary Stampede rodeo is amazing and other events still happen. But, like the USA but even worse due to political system, the rural is totally eclipsed by the big cities on coasts and head of government, basically.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #802 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
Works Progress Administration?...

The writing and postmarks didn't come through well on the scanner, but on the card itself they're clear.  USA.

This is another card addressed to the person I believe started the collection, Aimie Clement.

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #803 on: February 12, 2019, 09:12:03 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #804 on: February 12, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »
Hiawatha Hotel, Hot Springs, South Dakota

The card was never sent through the mail, at some point a kid used the back to draw on.  All it says there is 'Post Card', 'This side for Address only', and 'Place One-Cent Stamp Here'.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #805 on: February 12, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
Here's another one I found of the Hiawatha just now on-line (not one of mine).

The colorized one may be somewhat newer, given the thickness of the foliage compared to the other photo, but the details of the building itself seem very similar in both

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #806 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:05 PM »

Here we have a QSL card (Q, in ham radio lingo means "I confirm reception") sent from David in Florida, to Walter (Wally) in California.     

The two were in contact with each other on July 20, 1958.  If they were baseball fans, they might have discussed Detroit Tigers pitcher Jim Bunning's no-hitter against the Boston Red Sox.  Detroit won with a score of 3.   

26 horses

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #807 on: February 13, 2019, 07:53:22 AM »

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #808 on: February 13, 2019, 08:37:33 AM »
Here we have a QSL card (Q, in ham radio lingo means "I confirm reception") sent from David in Florida, to Walter (Wally) in California...

There are an amazing variety of post cards out there.  The 2c Jefferson red stamp sure stands out, as opposed to the greens, blues, flags, etc

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #809 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:08 PM »
Sorry, Rikki, this will be a long one. I thought if you didn't mind, I could post a set for Valentines' week.

Very nice Lover's Lane postcards.  Thank you, @Spookcat.  Here is a Valentine's Day postcard for you.