Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503332 times)

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2018, 07:25:59 PM »
Thank you so much, WC.  It would be fun to smoke a cigar with Lotta.

Did you see how they cheap'in Lotta's legacy by using her cigar smoking picture to sell a modern magazine?

"Soiled Doves of the Old West"
Quija Board Update: "January 1, 2035 still alive"

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »
On the hunt.

Found the Lizard imagine. The Lizard, cactus and text are from an 1883 French publication.

The child and crown are key.

Speculation:

It could be a Prussian crown and the time frame maybe  around the first Moroccan crises? British and French vs Germany. Precursor to WW1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Moroccan_Crisis

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »
On the hunt.

Found the Lizard imagine. The Lizard, cactus and text are from an 1883 French publication.

The child and crown are key.

Speculation:

It could be a Prussian crown and the time frame maybe  around the first Moroccan crises? British and French vs Germany. Precursor to WW1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Moroccan_Crisis

Great sleuthing there, WC.  The dates certainly come together nicely and the card's 1907 stamp is the piece de resistance.
I think you've got it.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
Yes, the hill behind it Telegraph Hill.  At the top is Coit Tower, donated by Lillie Hitchcock Coit in honor of firemen.  The art deco tower looks like the end of a fire hose.

I've walked around the area, and up and down the hill during lunchtime - there are pathways that lead past homes with no road access.  The famous parrots of Telegraph Hill can often be seen.  Levi's HQ is nearby

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Telegraph Hill, Wow!  I had no idea that was it back there.  That tower is something else.  Thanks for the information, PB.  I've got a number of San Francisco restaurant postcards that I will be posting sooner or later, including a couple that show the Cliff House.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2018, 10:36:25 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
Another nice postcard from Tootsie!

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2018, 02:32:02 PM »
Another nice postcard from Tootsie!

thanks.. glad you like it  :)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
To Mme Crabtree!  And thank you for the great history.  I wonder what she drank; champagne cocktails most likely.  Interesting murals; the figure on the far right looks like it escaped out of one of Matisse's.

I'm glad you like the history behind these postcards, K.  I had a dream last night in which I went into the past to meet Lotta.  I offered her a crystal goblet full of expensive bubbly but she declined.  Despite the rebuff, she told me that she wanted to sail across the face of the sun with me.  Her statement shook me awake.

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
I'm glad you like the history behind these postcards, K.  I had a dream last night in which I went into the past to meet Lotta.  I offered her a crystal goblet full of expensive bubbly but she declined.  Despite the rebuff, she told me that she wanted to sail across the face of the sun with me.  Her statement shook me awake.

Hope lovely Lotta comes back tonight in your dreams and you two can share a cigar.

WhiteCrow

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
Great sleuthing there, WC.  The dates certainly come together nicely and the card's 1907 stamp is the piece de resistance.
I think you've got it.

I'm not satisfied yet. Crown is most likely Prussian but don't  understand the meaning. Need to ID the rider. Only hope is that he or she royality.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2018, 03:14:17 PM »

What an odd choice of words!  The rest of the details I think I could take a fair crack at, but not that.  The image, once you get past its romantic sweep, is one of eclipse, seen by a projected third person, where your personalities are reduced to two-dimensional silhouettes.  Striking.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »
Hope lovely Lotta comes back tonight in your dreams and you two can share a cigar.

Thank you for the nice sentiment WC.  Of course, you know me.  I fall in love with all beautiful women, past or present.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2018, 03:43:05 PM »
What an odd choice of words!  The rest of the details I think I could take a fair crack at, but not that.  The image, once you get past its romantic sweep, is one of eclipse, seen by a projected third person, where your personalities are reduced to two-dimensional silhouettes.  Striking.

What a wonderful dream analysis, K.  Very intellectual and poetic at the same time.  Thank you. 

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2018, 04:07:38 PM »
What a wonderful dream analysis, K.  Very intellectual and poetic at the same time.  Thank you.

Thank you for sharing it.  You are charitable to call it analysis, but I am no Joseph; it is mere symbolism, an approach common to literature and art.  As for the rest of it, Lotta is, of course, (b)ellgab, to whom you daily offer champagne when something like off-brand diet soda is preferred hahaha

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
Thank you for sharing it.  You are charitable to call it analysis, but I am no Joseph; it is mere symbolism, an approach common to literature and art.  As for the rest of it, Lotta is, of course, (b)ellgab, to whom you daily offer champagne when something like off-brand diet soda is preferred hahaha

So nice of you to say.  Perhaps I should bring forth one of my signature scrambled egg cakes?  That might wow even the diet soda crowd.  haha