Author Topic: The EllGab Garden  (Read 234740 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: The EllGab Garden
« Reply #2460 on: March 01, 2024, 03:05:27 PM »
OH, @PolkaDot, I like them too.  Every once in awhile, some will spring up out back in the EllGab Garden.  There are some white mushrooms that look just like the ones you can purchase in the produce dept. at a supermarket.  (I don't risk eating them.) Out in the hills, (Pacific Northwest) morel mushrooms can be found at the proper time.  I used to hunt for them with Dad.  I have yet to come across a stinkhorn, though they sound most interesting.   

I enjoyed reading about your herbal research experience.  Yes, Dot (& @JUAN) I will start that "Slice of Life" thread, quite soon in fact.

Otzi the Iceman was a fascinating human.  I read that when scientists examined the contents of his stomach, they found a balanced blend of several types of meat, grain & berries in there.  He went a bit overboard on the grains though, and they caused his teeth to decay.  One of the fungi found in his pouch actually helped get rid of an intestinal worm that he had been bothered with.

Very cool! My grandfather used to hunt wild edible mushrooms too...though I have never risked it. Toadstools are a funny lot, depending on how sensitive you are and how many you eat nearly all of them can be hard on a person's system.

I spent ...maybe 6 years at the botanic garden. The people were great! Doing field work was my favorite but being in the collections was really rewarding as well. I'm not just a pretty face  ;).

Yay! A Slice of Life. I like it @Rikki Gins !
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2461 on: March 01, 2024, 04:23:44 PM »
I've decided to make the Ellgab Garden SE into a food forest.  We'll see if it works and feeds me through the days of Bidenomics.
Merry Christmas

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Karl August Drews
« Reply #2462 on: March 04, 2024, 09:52:02 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@PolkaDot    I was wrong!  I didn't plant the official EllGab Garden Dot Tree out back.  I put it in a much larger pot.  Which is good because the other pot was a bit on the small side.  The plum blossoms are back, as you can see.  Still, I would like to plant it into the ground.  Perhaps next autumn as it enters its dormant stage.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #2463 on: March 04, 2024, 10:04:43 PM »

@PolkaDot    I was wrong!  I didn't plant the official EllGab Garden Dot Tree out back.  I put it in a much larger pot.  Which is good because the other pot was a bit on the small side.  The plum blossoms are back, as you can see.  Still, I would like to plant it into the ground.  Perhaps next autumn as it enters its dormant stage.
❤️ Yes! Plant that baby!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2464 on: March 06, 2024, 11:14:06 AM »

I keep coming across these very low growing, little blue flowers every spring and have wondered what they were called.  I ran an image search on them and found that they are 'little blue flowers' well, that's nice to know.  But I kept digging and later found out that they are actually called Common Field Speed-Well.  It's Latin name is Veronica persica.  (Remember that, there'll be a test later.)  According to Wiki, the flowers grow in fields and lawns and prefer moist conditions.  The plant is purported to be an aid for snakebite treatment, hemorrhaging, rheumatoid arthritis, and asthma.  One herbalist by the name of Mohamet Allumback, used the plant to treat patients with heart trouble.  (I wonder if he practiced what he preached?  He died at the age of 106 or possibly 108.)   (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahomet_Allum)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2465 on: March 08, 2024, 10:43:15 AM »

The EllGab Garden cloud picture of the day.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2466 on: March 11, 2024, 10:45:25 AM »

This old fellow has bloomed once more here at the EllGab Garden.  I say old because he was planted many, many years ago.  In fact, there used to be quite a few daffodils scattered around the garden, but they dwindled away over time..  This one is the sole survivor.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #2467 on: March 11, 2024, 04:35:21 PM »
I've decided to make the Ellgab Garden SE into a food forest.  We'll see if it works and feeds me through the days of Bidenomics.

Just got back from the Home Depot.  They want $5.98 for a Cabbage plant and $7 for a bag of cow poo.  Sheesh. 

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #2468 on: March 11, 2024, 04:41:37 PM »
Plant seeds Oh @Walks_At_Night , and save seeds.  Look up landrace gardening where you plant stuff and harvest the seeds.  The idea is that through election, you’ll get plants that are adapted to your climate and dirt.
Merry Christmas

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #2469 on: March 11, 2024, 04:54:12 PM »
Plant seeds Oh @Walks_At_Night , and save seeds.  Look up landrace gardening where you plant stuff and harvest the seeds.  The idea is that through election, you’ll get plants that are adapted to your climate and dirt.

Gonna have to do so.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2470 on: March 13, 2024, 12:09:37 PM »

We had a rare snowfall on March 2nd.  Here is the EllGab Garden willow tree covered with the stuff.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2471 on: March 21, 2024, 09:29:51 AM »

Out on an EllGab Neighborhood walk when I noticed a ray of sunlight on the front of this house.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2472 on: March 25, 2024, 01:21:14 PM »

Had a bit of a snowfall back on the 6th that piled up on some of the local hills.  Mostly melted by now.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2473 on: March 29, 2024, 11:42:12 AM »

EllGab Garden Clouds.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
« Reply #2474 on: April 01, 2024, 10:30:25 AM »

The local power company hired a tree service to clear limbs from the power lines.  This guy was in the back alley.  He certainly had his work cut out for him.