Author Topic: Judy  (Read 952 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Judy
« on: January 31, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »
For some reason when the movie came out I felt compelled to see it.  Not sure why because I really don't know much about Judy Garland except for the Wizard of Oz and that Liza Minnelli is her daughter.   I did know she was famous and had a lot of personal issues, but nothing in great detail.  Well, the movie covers the last few years of her career and I was amazed how well Renee Zellweger portrayed her; especially after I looked up some Judy Garland clips and Renee had it down pat.  Plus to find out she sang the songs too was impressive. 

I thought the pace of the movie was a bit slow but well done because it magnified (enhanced the feel of) the bouts of Judy's depression, and added to the overall atmosphere.  Liza Mannelli was only portrayed for 5 minutes of the film so she wasn't involved in the plot.  The 2 other children were.  There were flashbacks in the movie and I was shocked to see what Judy went through as a child.

I couldn't care less about awards but Renee Zellweger is Oscar worthy for sure.

ShayP gives 4.5 out of 5 stars.

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: Judy
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 06:02:58 PM »
For some reason when the movie came out I felt compelled to see it.  Not sure why because I really don't know much about Judy Garland except for the Wizard of Oz and that Liza Minnelli is her daughter.   I did know she was famous and had a lot of personal issues, but nothing in great detail.  Well, the movie covers the last few years of her career and I was amazed how well Renee Zellweger portrayed her; especially after I looked up some Judy Garland clips and Renee had it down pat.  Plus to find out she sang the songs too was impressive. 

I thought the pace of the movie was a bit slow but well done because it magnified (enhanced the feel of) the bouts of Judy's depression, and added to the overall atmosphere.  Liza Mannelli was only portrayed for 5 minutes of the film so she wasn't involved in the plot.  The 2 other children were.  There were flashbacks in the movie and I was shocked to see what Judy went through as a child.

Like!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:18:39 PM »

She didn't release a Vagina Candle.  No chance at an Oscar.  Sorry bud..................

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
@ShayP where / how did you watch this movie?  I would like to see it. However, this is not a movie that I want to see on the big screen. One critic notes --played by Renée Zellweger, this Judy is painfully and visibly anxious. Or, perhaps this is her idea of drug-induced twitching.

I enjoy watching biographies on YouTube on my television. I have watched several documentaries not only on Judy Garland but also on Liza Minnelli.
In January of 2017, Judy Garland’s family had her body moved from Ferncliff Cemetery and Mausoleum in Hartsdale, New York, to Hollywood Forever cemetery in California.
I also enjoy documentaries on cemeteries for the STARS IE Hollywood Forever.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/197011614/judy-garland

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 05:41:40 AM »
@ShayP where / how did you watch this movie?  I would like to see it. However, this is not a movie that I want to see on the big screen. One critic notes --played by Renée Zellweger, this Judy is painfully and visibly anxious. Or, perhaps this is her idea of drug-induced twitching.

I enjoy watching biographies on YouTube on my television. I have watched several documentaries not only on Judy Garland but also on Liza Minnelli.
In January of 2017, Judy Garland’s family had her body moved from Ferncliff Cemetery and Mausoleum in Hartsdale, New York, to Hollywood Forever cemetery in California.
I also enjoy documentaries on cemeteries for the STARS IE Hollywood Forever.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/197011614/judy-garland

@FISH  I got the DVD through Netflix.  I don't do streaming and it was too expensive on pay-per-view.  I intended on seeing it in the theater but I didn't feel like shelling out $13.  I get more value from Netflix DVD's since I get 2 at a time with the plan and I send them back quickly, so I can get about 6 per month (on average) for $12.  ANYWAY...

I think since I never saw Judy Garland in anything but the Wizard of Oz, and her other problems were just hear-say to me, I couldn't be as critical of the movie. I've seen great reviews and very poor reviews.

I was discussing the movie with my Mom since she saw the movie too and she thought that the mannerisms were pretty accurate.  I still can't believe they were pumping her full of pills since she was a child.  No wonder she became an addict and an alcoholic.  Judy...not my Mom.  ;D

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:51:09 AM »

BartIsGod

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
I'm not a big Zellwger fan, I enjoyed the first Bridget Jones movie, but I'm just not crazy about her.
Francis Gumm was on stage at age 3 or 4 or 5, the most talented of the "Gumm Sisters".
With the stereotypical "stage mom", she basically began supporting the family before she was 10.
MGM, Louis B Mayer got her started on Benzedrine, ( to withstand the grueling, 16 hour daily rehearsals for Buzby Berkeley), and Seconal to quickly get to sleep in order to repeat the process the next day. She made literally millions and millions of dollars for MGM, and at age 27 she was fired by Louis B Mayer. Heavily addicted to barbiturates and amphetamines,  having suffered numerous emotional breakdowns and bad relationships, she was a broken, unhireable "has been".
Yes, it's true, I do have the "Judy Garland Gene", and everyone knows that gay guys love Judy Garland, (no Streisand for me thank you), in '67 or '68, at age 8 or 9,when I first heard Dorothy Gale sing "Rainbow", I felt and shared the pain in her voice. I consider her the greatest entertainer ever. I urge all to see her MGM Musicals, the Andy Hardy films, and listen to "Judy at Carnegie Hall".