Author Topic: The Ellgab Literary Guild  (Read 2659 times)

Bluejay

• Gif Ninja
  • Ellevated
  • West of the Rockies
Re: The Ellgab Literary Guild
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »
I want to get the book about his production techniques. Computers gave made things too easy.

I do not miss this.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 12:21:49 PM »
I have a patch bay in my closet. I’m looking for a way to put it in my rig.
Merry Christmas

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 05:49:05 PM »
I like this book.

"Best-selling author and mortician Caitlin Doughty answers real questions from kids about death, dead bodies, and decomposition.

Every day, funeral director Caitlin Doughty receives dozens of questions about death. The best questions come from kids. What would happen to an astronaut’s body if it were pushed out of a space shuttle? Do people poop when they die? Can Grandma have a Viking funeral?

In Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?, Doughty blends her mortician’s knowledge of the body and the intriguing history behind common misconceptions about corpses to offer factual, hilarious, and candid answers to thirty-five distinctive questions posed by her youngest fans. In her inimitable voice, Doughty details lore and science of what happens to, and inside, our bodies after we die. Why do corpses groan? What causes bodies to turn colors during decomposition? And why do hair and nails appear longer after death? Readers will learn the best soil for mummifying your body, whether you can preserve your best friend’s skull as a keepsake, and what happens when you die on a plane.

Beautifully illustrated by Dianné Ruz, Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs? shows us that death is science and art, and only by asking questions can we begin to embrace it. "
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 06:45:26 PM »
This is a great book by a great author, Mary Roach. She's a science writer. No matter what her topic is she brings so many interesting things. Meticulous research, history, interesting experts, lots of humor and personal experiences. She often uses herself as a guinea pig to get the full story. Very enjoyable and informative

This book is about the history, science and challenges of biological beings (us) and space travel
Published in 2010

*** TigerLily recommended ***

I noticed she also published a book in 2005 called "Spooked" about the afterlife. I'm putting it on my reading list

Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 07:00:35 PM »
This is a great book by a great author, Mary Roach. She's a science writer. No matter what her topic is she brings so many interesting things. Meticulous research, history, interesting experts, lots of humor and personal experiences. She often uses herself as a guinea pig to get the full story. Very enjoyable and informative

This book is about the history, science and challenges of biological beings (us) and space travel
Published in 2010

*** TigerLily recommended ***

I noticed she also published a book in 2005 called "Spooked" about the afterlife. I'm putting it on my reading list

She has been on C2C several times. At least 3-4 with Ian Punnet and twice with Snoory.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/guest/Roach-Mary/6602

She also wrote Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 08:40:36 PM »
I don't know why but I think I may be reading, The Stand! For the third time :-\  I pulled it off the shelf on the 15th and I'm getting about an hour a day with it. It is not my intention to read it all the way through, or at all. But I'm reading it!  The movie was horrible. Like most King movies are.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 09:05:15 PM »
I don't know why but I think I may be reading, The Stand! For the third time :-\  I pulled it off the shelf on the 15th and I'm getting about an hour a day with it. It is not my intention to read it all the way through, or at all. But I'm reading it!  The movie was horrible. Like most King movies are.

@ksm which version are you reading. Someone told me I needed to read the unabridged one that was released later. I had mentioned that I didn’t like how he ended the book so fast in the original paperback.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
@ksm which version are you reading. Someone told me I needed to read the unabridged one that was released later. I had mentioned that I didn’t like how he ended the book so fast in the original paperback.
@GravitySucks Unabridged!  It's such a better & more in-depth book in every way, so they say. Or as folks say it's a much better read. I have not read the abridged version. I still have the same unabridged copy I found in a diner once located in Brooks, Alberta.  Time consuming with soooo many pages but it's goshdarn riveting, doesn't let you go.  And apparently - it's not letting me go. Again.  So I am one more for the una!  Get it! read it!

The reports on the abridged version are not all that favorable. Long winded and such, so I won't be diving into that one, and why would you :-\

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »
@GravitySucks Unabridged!  It's such a better & more in-depth book in every way, so they say. Or as folks say it's a much better read. I have not read the abridged version. I still have the same unabridged copy I found in a diner once located in Brooks, Alberta.  Time consuming with soooo many pages but it's goshdarn riveting, doesn't let you go.  And apparently - it's not letting me go. Again.  So I am one more for the una!  Get it! read it!

The reports on the abridged version are not all that favorable. Long winded and such, so I won't be diving into that one, and why would you :-\

Well @KSM it was the only one available when I read the paperback back in 1980.
Are we having fun yet?

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »

Go Full King
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
Go Full King

I think my reading days are behind me.  Makes my brain hurt.
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
I think my reading days are behind me.  Makes my brain hurt.
I don't have any brains. I feel fantastic!