Author Topic: Damon's fishing gab thread  (Read 32759 times)

albrecht

• Ellightened
Re: Damon's fishing gab thread
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »
That's really bizarre.

I put it off to something similar to galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals- but in a plastic form!  They have obvious improved their products. 

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »
I put it off to something similar to galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals- but in a plastic form!  They have obvious improved their products.

Thankfully they did improved.  But the reaction with the plastics is odd.  However I've had models, etc, that degraded over time and would react in different ways to virtually no outside stimulus. (heat, cold, chemical, moisture)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »
Years ago I had a cheap tackle-box made by a Prominent company and the plastic used in the trays would react with fake worms or some lures. Sort of melt and fuse together. Including the tray itself molding a bit into a reverse worm shape! (This was when I was young and just threw the fake worms and lures into the trays and before fake worms had all the gimmicks, scent, etc and kept in own packaging.)

That’s what you get for trying a planold tackle boxes. Ruined more tackle that way. 
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
I need to buy all new tackle.  Trying to hit the water in a couple weeks.  Bastards raised the license fee again.

Any recommendations on some good bass lures?  I may be the only person that can't catch a bass with spinner bait.   :-[

What color is the water?
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:11 PM »
Thankfully they did improved.  But the reaction with the plastics is odd.  However I've had models, etc, that degraded over time and would react in different ways to virtually no outside stimulus. (heat, cold, chemical, moisture)
It reminded me of models or fixing stuff etc. You know how with certain plastics if you use a wrong glue, solvent, or adhesive they can sorta melt plastic? Does plastic 'flow' over time? With a really old model that hasn't been subject to movement?

Friggin Ellgab. Now I'm reading article on Plastic Flow and also on dichloromethane. Where was Ellgab when I was back in school and supposed to learn things??

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »

What color is the water?

I'll venture a guess and say brown like most of the waters in Dixie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »

What color is the water?

I think I'll be crossing the Mississippi real soon wiseguy.  >:(  LOL!  ;)

...or was that a real question?   ;D  Sometimes I can't tell with you.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »
It reminded me of models or fixing stuff etc. You know how with certain plastics if you use a wrong glue, solvent, or adhesive they can sorta melt plastic? Does plastic 'flow' over time? With a really old model that hasn't been subject to movement?

Friggin Ellgab. Now I'm reading article on Plastic Flow and also on dichloromethane. Where was Ellgab when I was back in school and supposed to learn things??

It's our conversations that fire the dendrites.  ;)

Also, you may be the only person on the planet at this very moment reading an article on Plastic Flow and also on dichloromethane.   :D

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
It's our conversations that fire the dendrites.  ;)

Also, you may be the only person on the planet at this very moment reading an article on Plastic Flow and also on dichloromethane.   :D

This happens to me, especially after a EG conversation.

Re: water color. It still changes, even in Dixie, to degrees of brown though in places with fake lakes, old gravel pits, or karst stuff (like here or in some of FLA) you can get crystal clear water. And, obviously, the salinity and "clearness" if fishing on the bays and bayous on rain, tides, etc.

A couple months ago someone I know was a marshal on the BASS tournament and said the lake was very clear but guys were catching them on surface lures. Fish would come up from the way deep. Also one day 100F and then a rainstorm one of the days and they still catch fish. The pros are amazing. He said the worst thing was how they drive. No comfort on boat and they 60mph+ bouncing all over the place, camera guy holding on for dear life, etc.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 05:23:36 PM »
This happens to me, especially after a EG conversation.

Re: water color. It still changes, even in Dixie, to degrees of brown though in places with fake lakes, old gravel pits, or karst stuff (like here or in some of FLA) you can get crystal clear water. And, obviously, the salinity and "clearness" if fishing on the bays and bayous on rain, tides, etc.

A couple months ago someone I know was a marshal on the BASS tournament and said the lake was very clear but guys were catching them on surface lures. Fish would come up from the way deep. Also one day 100F and then a rainstorm one of the days and they still catch fish. The pros are amazing. He said the worst thing was how they drive. No comfort on boat and they 60mph+ bouncing all over the place, camera guy holding on for dear life, etc.

So Gravity was being serious with his question?  The water color does matter?  Shit.  I thought he was jabbin' me.  He does that every once in a while.  Now I feel bad.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
So Gravity was being serious with his question?  The water color does matter?  Shit.  I thought he was jabbin' me.  He does that every once in a while.  Now I feel bad.

Idk maybe he was? But water color, temp, salinity, moon phases, season, etc does matter- to what extent and which is more important than others? Companies, guides, and the industry says "a lot," but of course they would.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Idk maybe he was? But water color, temp, salinity, moon phases, season, etc does matter- to what extent and which is more important than others? Companies, guides, and the industry says "a lot," but of course they would.

Ugh.  I just go by the weather and the time of day.  I'm a casual fisherman who likes to catch fish and then release them.  My problem is I haven't caught one fish in three years!!!  The guy next to me on the river bank last time caught 8 or 9.  I moved upstream.  Nothing.   :(

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »

Muddy water, clear water, green water.  It matters. 

Sun vs cloudy does as well but not as much.
Are we having fun yet?

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:56 PM »
Huge hammerhead caught in Corpus. I'm not going to be the guy leading it back to water by the head!  It didn't survive and apparently many hooks in the meat after processing.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/massive-hammerhead-caught-along-texas-coast/1306060095

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 06:23:22 PM »

Muddy water, clear water, green water.  It matters. 

Sun vs cloudy does as well but not as much.

I appreciate it sir.  :)

So how does that affect what lures I use?  Brighter ones if murky?  More active (spinners)?