Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 597540 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #5010 on: February 10, 2022, 07:43:31 PM »
The still frame alone has me reaching for the needles. Are those Christmas lights strung throughout his basement suite? I thought he had money.  ?  WTF..

Well he has *some* money. The strings of lights are multi-colored - none of this cheapo white light crap.

Cottrell be like - "Shoot me now"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5011 on: February 10, 2022, 08:31:06 PM »
Well he has *some* money.

Yeah, just enough money for rent, fast food, and an electrical bill. Just like me at 19.

@Walks_At_Night Who the hell does Cottrell look like? D-list famous person.. it's bothering me now. Frank Stallone? Nah.. hmm BUTTAFUOCO?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #5012 on: February 10, 2022, 08:57:42 PM »
Yeah, just enough money for rent, fast food, and an electrical bill. Just like me at 19.

@Walks_At_Night Who the hell does Cottrell look like? D-list famous person.. it's bothering me now. Frank Stallone? Nah.. hmm BUTTAFUOCO?

I can see a dehydrayted Buttafuoco sort of a look.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #5013 on: February 11, 2022, 01:49:59 AM »
I can see a dehydrayted Buttafuoco sort of a look.

Ted Cruz after a bender
Are we having fun yet?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5014 on: February 11, 2022, 12:23:08 PM »
Received a phone call this morning from the wife, a close friend/neighbor we had on the Nechako river up north and it wasn't a good call. Said river has claimed a-lot of dogs and more than a few kids over the years and now can claim another dog (Duke) as well as my neighbor/friend, Ben - who may die himself.  Goldon  Retriever Duke chased a critter out onto the ice and hit a soft patch only to crash ass end into the sub 0 water. 85 year old Ben had to try and save his ol' friend by flattening stomach down out on the ice and it too did not go well.
Dog Duke fell through and was swiftly carried away under the ice as he, Ben, also fell through and was submerged up to his chest with just his arms atop the thin ice that kept him up. Fast forward as two other neighbors managed to save him with rope but only after he had been mostly submerged for almost 40 minutes. Now in the hospital and struggling for his 85 yr old life is he.  Duke was a great fellow and would often come hang out on Saturday mornings on out patio while we had breakfast and coffee.

We sold that house in 2020 after 11 years of weekend living and not once did I go more than a foot into that water. God, Damned, raging bitch of a river.

Lesson here: LOOK AT THE RIVER, BUT STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IT!

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5015 on: February 11, 2022, 12:48:22 PM »
Received a phone call this morning from the wife, a close friend/neighbor we had on the Nechako river up north and it wasn't a good call. Said river has claimed a-lot of dogs and more than a few kids over the years and now can claim another dog (Duke) as well as my neighbor/friend, Ben - who may die himself.  Goldon  Retriever Duke chased a critter out onto the ice and hit a soft patch only to crash ass end into the sub 0 water. 85 year old Ben had to try and save his ol' friend by flattening stomach down out on the ice and it too did not go well.
Dog Duke fell through and was swiftly carried away under the ice as he, Ben, also fell through and was submerged up to his chest with just his arms atop the thin ice that kept him up. Fast forward as two other neighbors managed to save him with rope but only after he had been mostly submerged for almost 40 minutes. Now in the hospital and struggling for his 85 yr old life is he.  Duke was a great fellow and would often come hang out on Saturday mornings on out patio while we had breakfast and coffee.

We sold that house in 2020 after 11 years of weekend living and not once did I go more than a foot into that water. God, Damned, raging bitch of a river.

Lesson here: LOOK AT THE RIVER, BUT STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IT!
Sorry to hear about your friend @KSM. I went through the ice playing hockey when I was a kid. Playing on a retention pond where we weren’t supposed to be.  It took about 10 minutes before a high school kid laid down and pulled me out. His saving my life inspired me to always help others struggling in the water. I’ve saved about a dozen people as an adult. I’m never frightened during the save, but afterwards I’m usually a nervous wreck because some of them were pretty dangerous rivers.  I pulled one guy up from about 15’ under after he got knocked unconscious jumping off a bridge. I had no idea who it was.  He didn’t come up and I knew I had to go find him.  Years later (like 3 years ago) I was telling the story to a friend of mine I bobsledded with a year or two later. He told me he was there and it was a friend of his. He told me I had balls for diving in to save his friend.  It’s not fun.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #5016 on: February 11, 2022, 01:25:11 PM »
@KSM Very sorry to hear about Ben and Duke. As an older dude, I guess I'd rather punch out trying to save my dog than to wither away in a nursing home for a year but it seems like he was in good shape for his age.

@GravitySucks Remind me never to get near any water when you are around. Years of living in Mich with water everywhere and I've never even seen anyone in serious trouble in the water. A record that I would like to keep intact.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #5017 on: February 11, 2022, 02:54:03 PM »
The still frame alone has me reaching for the needles. Are those Christmas lights strung throughout his basement suite? I thought he had money.  ?  WTF..
He’s waiting for you to set the date for second Christmas.
Merry Christmas

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #5018 on: February 11, 2022, 03:30:25 PM »
@KSM Very sorry to hear about Ben and Duke. As an older dude, I guess I'd rather punch out trying to save my dog than to wither away in a nursing home for a year but it seems like he was in good shape for his age.

@GravitySucks Remind me never to get near any water when you are around. Years of living in Mich with water everywhere and I've never even seen anyone in serious trouble in the water. A record that I would like to keep intact.

@Walks_At_Night about half of the rescues were scuba diving. I had about 1000 dives before I got certified as a rescue diver. About 400 since. Ironically I never had to rescue anyone after I got my certification.

I’d rescue you if the need arose but don’t get your hopes up for mouth to mouth. I learned chest compressions are the key to survival. Mrs Walks can handle the m2m. After I’m done with the chest compressions, of course. I wouldn’t want to be distracted by a woman just trying to show her gratitude.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #5019 on: February 11, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
@Walks_At_Night about half of the rescues were scuba diving. I had about 1000 dives before I got certified as a rescue diver. About 400 since. Ironically I never had to rescue anyone after I got my certification.

I’d rescue you if the need arose but don’t get your hopes up for mouth to mouth. I learned chest compressions are the key to survival. Mrs Walks can handle the m2m. After I’m done with the chest compressions, of course. I wouldn’t want to be distracted by a woman just trying to show her gratitude.

Yeah - the last CPR class I took they told us not to even bother with the Mouth to Mouth anymore.  I do have a CPR story.  Back when I worked at the old Island of Misfit Toys building there was this big old dude that caved in after lunch. Thank heavens that Hillbilly Jim and I didn't find him - if we would have, it probably would have went like this:

WAN: "You know Jim - that dude lying in a heap on the floor there. I don't think he is breathing."
HBJ gingerly approaches the carcass, then nudges it carefully with the toe of his shoe "I think you are right"
WAN: "Well now what? Do you think we should call somebody?"
HBJ: "F*ck! I don't wanna get involved with this shit but I guess we should. Call the damned meat wagon"

Fortunately a lady and a dude in our department watched him go down and grabbed one of those newly installed, fancy AED defibrillator's.  The guy got it hooked up and it did it's thing.  Meanwhile the lady did the mouth to mouth until the EMT's arrived. It ended well in that they saved the guy's life and he was kind of okay. However after they carted the guy off the guy that ran the AED told the lady: "You know there was an air bagger in that unit but you were pretty busy so I didn't want to bother you".  She had a conniption - "You let me mouth to mouth that creepy, old dead guy when there was a bagger in there? F*ck you!"

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5020 on: February 11, 2022, 06:54:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend @KSM. I went through the ice playing hockey when I was a kid. Playing on a retention pond where we weren’t supposed to be.  It took about 10 minutes before a high school kid laid down and pulled me out. His saving my life inspired me to always help others struggling in the water. I’ve saved about a dozen people as an adult. I’m never frightened during the save, but afterwards I’m usually a nervous wreck because some of them were pretty dangerous rivers.  I pulled one guy up from about 15’ under after he got knocked unconscious jumping off a bridge. I had no idea who it was.  He didn’t come up and I knew I had to go find him.  Years later (like 3 years ago) I was telling the story to a friend of mine I bobsledded with a year or two later. He told me he was there and it was a friend of his. He told me I had balls for diving in to save his friend.  It’s not fun.

Wow. You've had your share of nautical experiences.  As @Walks_At_Night says, remind me not to be near water when you're around  ;D Glad all has worked out and lives have been saved.  My old neighbor opened his eyes this afternoon so that's the 1st step in the best direction. Tough old farm boy who became a district attorney for 35 years. I wonder if he'll take legal action on the river that took his dog. Hehe

WAN: "You know Jim - that dude lying in a heap on the floor there. I don't think he is breathing."
HBJ gingerly approaches the carcass, then nudges it carefully with the toe of his shoe "I think you are right"
WAN: "Well now what? Do you think we should call somebody?"
HBJ: "F*ck! I don't wanna get involved with this shit but I guess we should. Call the damned meat wagon"

Fortunately a lady and a dude in our department watched him go down and grabbed one of those newly installed, fancy AED defibrillator's.  The guy got it hooked up and it did it's thing.  Meanwhile the lady did the mouth to mouth until the EMT's arrived. It ended well in that they saved the guy's life and he was kind of okay. However after they carted the guy off the guy that ran the AED told the lady: "You know there was an air bagger in that unit but you were pretty busy so I didn't want to bother you".  She had a conniption - "You let me mouth to mouth that creepy, old dead guy when there was a bagger in there? F*ck you!"

:) :D ;D  Funny stuff.

He’s waiting for you to set the date for second Christmas.
LOL!! yeah, him and me both.

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #5021 on: February 11, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »
Condolences, @KSM.

Ben took a calculated risk, one of love and caring for his fur buddy. Hopefully, he wasn't and is not stressed or scared.

Sounds like it was already over when he went out. 

They'll be together again. 
Eh, nevermind...

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5022 on: February 11, 2022, 07:06:45 PM »
Condolences, @KSM.

Ben took a calculated risk, one of love and caring for his fur buddy. Hopefully, he wasn't and is not stressed or scared.

Sounds like it was already over when he went out. 

They'll be together again.
Plus 1.

See? @PolkaDot ? He's a normal, nice, guy!!!  Stop being so fucking judgmental!

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #5023 on: February 11, 2022, 08:25:38 PM »
Plus 1.

See? @PolkaDot ? He's a normal, nice, guy!!!  Stop being so fucking judgmental!
::) Two assholes stroking each other up while admiring how wonderful they think they are is not a convincing argument. It's not being judgmental, @KSM I'm just a good judge of character.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #5024 on: February 11, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »
::) Two assholes stroking each other up while admiring how wonderful they think they are is not a convincing argument. It's not being judgmental, @KSM I'm just a good judge of character.
Peter.
Dink.
Ledge.

@PolkaDot