Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 597973 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #6420 on: July 30, 2023, 07:03:34 AM »
Wow, Oprah is really getting raked over the coals for her connections into the dark side of Hollywood.  All this started from the release of The Sound Of Freedom.

"The terms rake over the coals and haul over the coals have ominous etymologies, as they refer to events that literally occurred. The terms are inspired by a certain torture that was applied to heretics in the Middle Ages, involving dragging the prisoner bodily over a bed of red-hot coals." <<-- How's that one for ya' @Walks_At_Night ? GAAHHDZOOKS!!

sean92008

• Garage Band
  • Ellevated
  • Wondering if that was the end
    • Not me but an incredible stimulation
« Reply #6421 on: July 30, 2023, 10:07:36 AM »
Kind of in mourning. I turned on my radio this morning to listen to a really bad car advice show on KABC called The Motorman. The guy's been on radio for over 40 years and retired at some point recently.

Leo Kaplan was the host and was a big local race car guy back in the '60s and '70s. He was completely ignorant of the modern problems of Ford and Chevy, so it was kind of funny to listen to him talk about those cars on an elevated level over Toyota and Honda. He was also clueless about a lot of other stuff, gas formulations and electronics, safety things. But still it was kind of a safe and listenable thing.

I wanted to call today and tell everybody about how to buy new car warranties without spending three times more than necessary. Oh well, Los Angeles has lost my grain of wisdom.

Eh, nevermind...

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6422 on: July 30, 2023, 01:06:39 PM »
Wow, Oprah is really getting raked over the coals for her connections into the dark side of Hollywood.  All this started from the release of The Sound Of Freedom.

"The terms rake over the coals and haul over the coals have ominous etymologies, as they refer to events that literally occurred. The terms are inspired by a certain torture that was applied to heretics in the Middle Ages, involving dragging the prisoner bodily over a bed of red-hot coals." <<-- How's that one for ya' @Walks_At_Night ? GAAHHDZOOKS!!

Well @KSM they had no radio, TV, movies or books so I guess watching some heretic or ne'er-do-well getting ripped up was entertainment. If such things interest you, Carlin did a 4 and half hour deep dive on the subject.  You can download it for free:

https://www.dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-61-blitz-painfotainment/

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6424 on: August 01, 2023, 06:57:46 AM »

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6425 on: August 01, 2023, 08:19:39 AM »
Whoopsie!

Remi Lucidi death: French daredevil known for skyscraper stunts plummets to death from 68th floor

A source told the Post that Mr Lucidi was last seen alive knocking on a penthouse window on the 68th floor of Tregunter Tower at about 7.30pm, which prompted a maid to call the police.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6426 on: August 01, 2023, 08:56:48 AM »
I am really liking the "Whoopsie" series.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for them, but..  yeeesh 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6427 on: August 02, 2023, 02:33:42 PM »
Was out and about this afternoon and came across a crop duster at work. What a gig that is. Zipping here. Zooming there. Turning. Banking. Spewing Dow Chemical's finest brew.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Up All Night

• Ellevated
  • N. Texas
    • Stroll Down Memory Lane
« Reply #6428 on: August 02, 2023, 03:18:13 PM »

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6429 on: August 02, 2023, 03:50:09 PM »
Was out and about this afternoon and came across a crop duster at work. What a gig that is. Zipping here. Zooming there. Turning. Banking. Spewing Dow Chemical's finest brew.

Out in the social area of my complex last week I witnessed a very fit and attractive woman/chick (about 28-34) CROP DUST her boyfriend. He is always walking behind her carrying whatever bags and such while she leads the way with not even a purse sometimes.  I don't think she realized that I saw what she did as the boyfriend tried to walk briskly in front of her to save himself but to no avail as she cut him off each time while smirking. She was quite amused by her actions.

Dude must be an extreme beta.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6430 on: August 05, 2023, 08:59:21 AM »
Went way out into the country this morning. There is a little country/feed store out there. At this point, I've lived longer in North Carolina than in Michigan and I really don't even think about it anymore.  Got reminded of my Yankeedom today though. Place was out of a movie. Old guy, sitting on a rocker, whittling a hunk of wood. I walk up, he spits out a stream of RedMan "Whaddya need?"   Chicken feed. "What kind?"  Crumbles or Pellets. "Layer?"  Yes. "$18. Cash. It is over here". I give him a 20 and he gets his roll of bills out and we settle up. I follow him around back into a maze of shipping containers and get it.  Its a fair price but not sure I'll go back. 99% of these good old boys out in the sticks would do anything for you but I think he heard my accent and he didn't like it or me.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #6431 on: August 05, 2023, 09:17:00 AM »
Work on your accent.  Say - The PO-leese  have SI-reens on their motorsickles.

Watch Ricky Bobby a few times and incorporate "If you ain't first, you're last" into your vocabulary.
Merry Christmas

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #6432 on: August 05, 2023, 09:29:53 AM »
Went way out into the country this morning. There is a little country/feed store out there. At this point, I've lived longer in North Carolina than in Michigan and I really don't even think about it anymore.  Got reminded of my Yankeedom today though. Place was out of a movie. Old guy, sitting on a rocker, whittling a hunk of wood. I walk up, he spits out a stream of RedMan "Whaddya need?"   Chicken feed. "What kind?"  Crumbles or Pellets. "Layer?"  Yes. "$18. Cash. It is over here". I give him a 20 and he gets his roll of bills out and we settle up. I follow him around back into a maze of shipping containers and get it.  Its a fair price but not sure I'll go back. 99% of these good old boys out in the sticks would do anything for you but I think he heard my accent and he didn't like it or me.

You described the episode very well. I think I heard the birds in the trees singing as I read it.

I can not find any real discernible accent out here. They all sound like me and vice-versa. Sort of disappointing.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6433 on: August 05, 2023, 06:37:00 PM »
Work on your accent.  Say - The PO-leese  have SI-reens on their motorsickles.

Watch Ricky Bobby a few times and incorporate "If you ain't first, you're last" into your vocabulary.

After over 30 years it is hopeless @JUAN    Still say pop, still butcher the word crayon and still hang a possessive on the name of American auto companies.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #6434 on: August 12, 2023, 08:55:04 PM »
In case you were wondering about this dudes bitch status: