Author Topic: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread  (Read 597911 times)

PB

• Ellevated
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines Thread
« Reply #7335 on: February 23, 2024, 10:17:06 PM »
Is it leafy or stalky in appearance? Leafy equals Collards or stalky equals Okra.  'Round here anyway.  ;)

It's a long thin stem some as big around as a little finger, some less, on some there is a main stem with a couple smaller stems coming out of the side, the stems all end with a 1-2 inch long slim leaf - that look like smaller versions of bok choy leaves.  The whole thing is dark green, the leaves a bit darker than the stem.  There must be 20 different kinds of bok choy but it doesn't really look like any of them.

Smokin Hot Bob

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #7336 on: February 23, 2024, 10:17:32 PM »
There's a Safeway sized Asian grocery store on the way home that I shop at, that has an ok buffet in the back that I like to get a plate from and take home once in awhile.

Their best item is a veggie dish consisting of something with a slender stalk or stem that has smallish leaves on the end, steamed to a nice crunch, stacked like logs, and some sort of sauce poured over them.  It's gotta be in the bok choy family.  I can go into Chinese, Thai, Indian, etc, places, have a meal, and usually be able to reverse engineer what I had and prepare it at home if it's something I really like - unless it requires some spice I can't identify or kitchen utensil or something I don't have - sometimes with an assist from Google.

This buffet doesn't have any names on anything, I don't recognize the vegetable, the cooked version doesn't look like anything in the produce section, and I can't quite suss out the sauce - soy sauce and some garlic, mixed with something thicker - like plum or oyster sauce or something like that.

I ask the cashier what's that and she tell me ''green vegetable''.  I describe it to others who I know should know, who tell me the same thing, ''oh we call that green vegetable''.  Um, ok, what's the sauce?  ''Soy sauce''.  What else.  ''Garlic''.  Dang it, I know all that, and googling 'green vegetable' isn't going to help me much.

I'm never going to be able to make this at home.

You can do it. We know you can do it.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Asian-Greens-with-Garlic-Sauce/

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #7337 on: February 23, 2024, 10:20:57 PM »
You can do it. We know you can do it.

https://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Asian-Greens-with-Garlic-Sauce/

Oh shit, that's more or less what it looks like, choy sum, I never would have guessed that - since I never heard of it.  Missing ingredient - peanut oil - that could be right.  I knew a last desperate toss out to the forum might work.  Thanks!

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #7338 on: February 23, 2024, 10:31:06 PM »
Turns out choy means... vegetable (Cantonese?), bok choy is loosely defined as white vegetable and choy sum is flowering vegetable, it's a member of the mustard family..

And, well, it's pretty good if prepared properly.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
  • Perpetual Vice President of the Anti-Pansy League
Re: Whatever: The Open Lines ( and vegetable identification) Thread
« Reply #7339 on: February 24, 2024, 12:38:44 AM »
Turns out choy means... vegetable (Cantonese?), bok choy is loosely defined as white vegetable and choy sum is flowering vegetable, it's a member of the mustard family..

And, well, it's pretty good if prepared properly.

Anything else you'd like help with while you're here? What about those penis-shaped orange things?

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #7340 on: February 24, 2024, 02:20:31 AM »
Merry Christmas

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7341 on: February 24, 2024, 03:22:00 AM »
Grow your own
https://www.rareseeds.com/choy-sum-50-day

PB doesn't seem like a gardener. He'd scowl at all the plants and they'd wither and die.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7342 on: February 24, 2024, 05:00:29 AM »
This guy lives in a small cabin out inna woods with three Japanese actresses. Is he in Heaven or Hell?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7343 on: February 24, 2024, 05:16:35 AM »
Keep seeing these "A Day in the Life" videos but they never show the subject digging through a bunch of logs while getting brow beaten by some asshole paper pusher.

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
« Reply #7344 on: February 24, 2024, 05:19:16 AM »
This guy lives in a small cabin out inna woods with three Japanese actresses. Is he in Heaven or Hell?

Back in my college days I took a job transfer that paid a bit better.  I was the only guy in the department with 18 women, mostly college-aged girls.  It was novel for about twenty minutes. 

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7345 on: February 24, 2024, 05:21:08 AM »
Back in my college days I took a job transfer that paid a bit better.  I was the only guy in the department with 18 women, mostly college-aged girls.  It was novel for about twenty minutes.

That explains a lot.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7346 on: February 24, 2024, 05:24:12 AM »
This meal was earned for sure.

Peter Wyngarde

• Elluminati
« Reply #7347 on: February 24, 2024, 05:28:19 AM »

I'd like to know what the bathroom arrangements are like first. Judging by the shit-eating grin on his face he seems to be enjoying himself.

Japanese women annoy the fuck out of me. I haven't met all that many but, without exception, I'm treated like something they've found on their shoe. First the Burma railway, now this shit.

Billy Joe Mulgreavey

• Elluminati
  • 3.99 or 6.99, content seen NOWHERE else!
« Reply #7348 on: February 24, 2024, 05:28:23 AM »
That explains a lot.

Look pal, YOU try dealing with the never ending situation when these coworkers come to you with questions about their relationship problems.  Do you know how many times I was asked : "what's wrong with guys?,"   "What's wrong with me?"  "Why do guys _____________/"  Fill in the blank with any number of things.  I got so tired of it, I finally started telling them that all guys are pigs and that's why I never dated any. 

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #7349 on: February 24, 2024, 05:31:49 AM »
Look pal, YOU try dealing with the never ending situation when these coworkers come to you with questions about their relationship problems.  Do you know how many times I was asked : "what's wrong with guys?,"   "What's wrong with me?"  "Why do guys _____________/"  Fill in the blank with any number of things.  I got so tired of it, I finally started telling them that all guys are pigs and that's why I never dated any.

Go to answer here