Author Topic: Sandwiches  (Read 38791 times)

ShayP

• Ellevated
Re: Sandwiches
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
CLUB SANDWICHES!  They are ubiquitous and I have yet to go anywhere where they are consistent.  It seems there are multiple interpretations of the classic, and that's fine.  The only constant I have found is 3 slices of bread, ham and or turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc.  Oh, and there is that triangular cut.  And you need frilly toothpicks too!  :D

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »
CLUB SANDWICHES!  They are ubiquitous and I have yet to go anywhere where they are consistent.  It seems there are multiple interpretations of the classic, and that's fine.  The only constant I have found is 3 slices of bread, ham and or turkey, bacon, some kind of cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc.  Oh, and there is that triangular cut.  And you need frilly toothpicks too!  :D
Yes indeed the consistency or complete lack of is why the only Clubs I'll eat are the consistent ones made in my own kitchen. You must S & P those tomato slices people. Completely brightens everything up.

Ok, I do I REALLY weird one after Thanksgiving every year: Wheat bread with ketchup slathered on it, thick sliced turkey, salt and fresh ground pepper. It's pretty much the only thing I eat ketchup on.
Yeah that's an odd one.  Hmm!  Is that more as a hungover thing? Not being mean, just curious.   They say Elvis liked some weird ones too. Do you sing, @PolkaDot ?

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
Yeah that's an odd one.  Hmm!  Is that more as a hungover thing? Not being mean, just curious.   They say Elvis liked some weird ones too. Do you sing, @PolkaDot ?
LOL. No, one thing I cannot do well is sing.
My Dad always made the sandwich with leftover turkey growing up and I've just kept it throughout the years. I honestly think it probably comes from living in the middle of nowhere with plenty of meat, homemade bread, and homemade ketchup always at hand. *Shrug* Weird but so yummy. Packs good too.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »
@PolkaDot Id love to see the homemade ketchup recipe.

I suppose I’m from an area that doesn’t grow wheat well, at least wheat that’s risen with yeast, so there are no interesting breads. Just bbq joints with a paper plate full of meat, several sauces on the side, and a full loaf of white bread for the table.
Merry Christmas

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 02:52:08 PM »
@PolkaDot Id love to see the homemade ketchup recipe.

Ditto.  I was just about to inquire.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 02:53:49 PM »
You must S & P those tomato slices people. Completely brightens everything up.

If not both, definitely salt.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »
By happenstance, my dinner tonight is a Schlotzsky's Original.  Not a bad sandwich from a chain joint.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2020, 03:16:38 PM »
By happenstance, my dinner tonight is a Schlotzsky's Original.  Not a bad sandwich from a chain joint.

I forgot about that place.  There was one here about 15 years ago.  It didn't last long.  Maybe 2 years?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
My Dad always made the sandwich with leftover turkey growing up and I've just kept it throughout the years.

I'm not really all that big on a plate of turkey at Thanksgiving but the sandwich's made from the leftover for several days after are awesome!
My favorite part of the whole Thanksgiving meal actually. 

Of course if you want a turkey sandwich from a restaurant and you happen to be driving through B.F.E. Michigan, the place to stop is the Turkey Roost.  When I was a kid, they had a big Tom locked up in a cage out front so that you could have a visit with your meal's Uncle on the way in.   They don't do that anymore but they still have the funky pink paint.

Their turkey club is tough to beat at $6.85

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 03:23:33 PM »
I forgot about that place.  There was one here about 15 years ago.  It didn't last long.  Maybe 2 years?

All the ones here closed about that same time frame.  All but one.  One stubborn survivor........................

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
I don’t make homemade ketchup- anything canning or resembling canning I had my fill of before I ever reached the age of adulthood. I’ll ask my Mom about the ketchup, she used to make it all the time.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2020, 03:28:17 PM »
The most overrated sandwiches ever come from restaurants in Pittsburgh called Primanti Brothers.  Fries on nearly every damn sandwich.  I hate it.  I am one of the 1% of Yinzers who do not like their food.  Very popular though, even nationwide since athletes and celebrities are drawn there since it became a beacon of Pittsburgh cuisine.  Bullshit!  So many better places to go.  However the bread is great.  Mancini's bakery does it right.  That Italian bread they make is the bees knees.

Look at this pastrami sandwich.  Meh.  :P

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
The most overrated sandwiches ever come from restaurants in Pittsburgh called Primanti Brothers.  Fries on nearly every damn sandwich.  I hate it.  I am one of the 1% of Yinzers who do not like their food.  Very popular though, even nationwide since athletes and celebrities are drawn there since it became a beacon of Pittsburgh cuisine.  Bullshit!  So many better places to go.  However the bread is great.  Mancini's bakery does it right.  That Italian bread they make is the bees knees.

Look at this pastrami sandwich.  Meh.  :P

@ShayP  what's a Yinzer?
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
            When she was good,

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 03:40:28 PM »
There was a little hot dog stand outside the back gate of Plattsburgh AFB in NY that served a sandwich they called “Michigans”. Clare and Carl’s. A hot dog with a chili sauce on top.  Not sure how they got called “Michigans”. I probably haven’t eaten a hot dog since but these were interesting.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/food/2016/04/the_michigans_of_plattsburgh_more_than_just_hot_dogs.html

I wonder if @Bart Ell ever stopped there.

@GravitySucks

I would submit that Clare and/or Carl spent sometime in Detroit.  Their "Michigan" seems to be a Detroit Coney Island dog.  Simple recipe but quite tasty: All beef, natural casing dog, steamed bun, onions, secret chili sauce with some mustard.   Why Detroit dogs are called Coney Islands is a tale for another time.  The place to go for them in Detroit is Lafayette Hot Dogs:

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
@ShayP  what's a Yinzer?

@PolkaDot   A person born and raised in Pittsburgh.  Even if you move from the city, you're still a Yinzer.   ;)  Plus instead of saying "you all" or "y'all" we'd say "what are yinz doin'?"  ;)  Just a label we were given because of that.  ;D