Author Topic: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours  (Read 34470 times)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
Re: The Book Lodge - Drive Thru Open 24 Hours
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2021, 04:26:38 PM »
He got robbed. And so did we. A sad ending for a true genius

Robbed on a grand scale multiple times yet he kept moving forward.

I do NOT recommend the aforementioned  booklet by Sean Patrick I read, but I do recommend Tesla - Man Out of Time by Margaret Cheney.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #226 on: December 04, 2021, 05:09:05 PM »
Read in 2021

40) ODD THOMAS (2003}

by Dean Koontz

Dean Koontz' books and characters are very different from other writers, and well written.  I've tried so hard to like his books, but I finally gave up.  Totally recognize his talent though.

For perspective, I can say the same thing about Stephen King

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »
Dean Koontz' books and characters are very different from other writers, and well written.  I've tried so hard to like his books, but I finally gave up.  Totally recognize his talent though.

For perspective, I can say the same thing about Stephen King

That makes sense.

I'm 32 pages in and like very much the story he is setting up and the humor is tracking well with me. This will be my first Koontz book. Yesterday, I discovered Koontz  did a cluster of these Odd Thomas novels and I was simply lucky my thrift store book acquisition is #1 in the series. It's too early to know, but if the rest of the book holds up, then I will try the 2nd OT book.

My reading plans for 2022 (as far as fiction)  are taking form.

My name is Odd Thomas, though in this age when fame is
the altar at which most people worship, I am not sure why
you should care who I am or that I exist.

I am not a celebrity. I am not the child of a celebrity. I have
never been married to, never been abused by, and never
provided a kidney for transplantation into any celebrity.
Furthermore, I have no desire to be a celebrity.

JUAN

• Ellevated
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2021, 02:13:53 PM »
Just a fry cook.
Merry Christmas

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2021, 05:05:53 PM »
Just a fry cook.

Somewhat inappropriately, despite having just read the history of a young female's brutal strangulation
by a local nice guy. . . when Koontz began describing stretched and wrecked eggs with porky sitting
on top, I found myself growing hungry.

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2021, 02:49:00 PM »
@Camazotz Automat - I just finished listening to an episode of a podcast I like, Most Notorious. I think you may get a kick out of this episode. The guests get rather philosophical while managing to also be terribly snarky. It has inspired me to check out a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus from my local library. It took me places I had never considered going before.  ;)
https://www.spreaker.com/user/mostnotorious/frankenstein-sprkr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #231 on: December 07, 2021, 10:53:11 AM »
@Camazotz Automat - I just finished listening to an episode of a podcast I like, Most Notorious. I think you may get a kick out of this episode. The guests get rather philosophical while managing to also be terribly snarky. It has inspired me to check out a copy of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or The Modern Prometheus from my local library. It took me places I had never considered going before.  ;)
https://www.spreaker.com/user/mostnotorious/frankenstein-sprkr

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

@PolkaDot

Thank you!

I enjoyed it very much. The confrontational chemistry between Lester and Allison was exquisite.

I like that the host let them ramble on and he did not ask too many questions. There was no need. (Something certain radio show hosts don't often grasp, instead they follow a check list of tedious, basic questions and eat up valuable interview time.)

I won't go into my  theory of a way to interpret Mary Shelley's Frankenstein;  or, The Modern Prometheus.

It would bore readers into a state of synapses obscurae††† (or a state of: anti-galvinism, or Victor  Frankenstein level  catatonia, or web-page drift †††).

I will say that they did not cover my theory - but may very well have done so in their book.

I loved Lester's slight against Frakenberry®.

A very enjoyable podcast episode. Notorious could easily do a second episode with them for Halloween 2022. Plenty of material left to cover.

"Percy [Shelley] was a hoe." - Allison

††† My unique phrasing. Use or discard at will. Heh heh.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2021, 06:14:17 PM »
December 7, 1941 by Gordon Prange and two other people who added some more stuff after Gordon died.  It was exactly a year ago today that I decided to read up on the attack at Pearl Harbor.  I went on to Amazon and searched for the best book on the subject and Gordon's book won hands down, so I purchased it.  It took me a couple months to finish but it was a very well written book and most informative.  He interviewed scads of people who experienced the attack and not just soldiers and sailors but other people living on the island and officer's wives too.  Just a few things I remember after reading the book... Perhaps the most surprising thing I learned was that, almost to a man, officers, soldiers and sailors thought that the initial bombardment was being brought about by daredevil American military pilots who were showing off.  A number of officers were heard yelling to get the names of those a-hole pilots for court marshal purposes.  Of course once everybody recognized the Japanese Zero insignias, weapons were sought and the painfully slow efforts to fight back were begun.  Fruitless efforts of fighting back for the most part but a few ship and ground based guns did manage to down four or five Zeros.  The attack centered on the ships in the harbor and several military aircraft fields and this was covered in great detail by the author.  Next, I learned that after the enemy departed back to their ships, almost all of the surviving military personnel were convinced that there was going to be a follow up ground invasion.  In fact, reports came in to headquarters that a vast number of Japanese soldiers were seen advancing towards some military targets.  This of course never happened, it was just an understandable case of confused soldiers running around like heads with their chickens cut off.  Those officer's wives I mentioned were evacuated from their homes and had to spend the night in a number of caves on the island. 
  A great book all in all and I'll surely read it again someday.  Kind of reminded me of the movie Tora Tora Tora, starring Martin Balsam and Jason Robards.  I kept thinking about my Uncle Frank while reading the book.  He was onboard one of the ships when the attack happened.  As far as I know, he wasn't injured and his ship didn't sink but while he was climbing a ladder to an upper level, the guy just ahead of him got cut down by a strafing Zero.  In the movie coincidentally, there is a quick scene where two sailors are climbing a ladder and the one up above was shot by a strafing Zero.   

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2021, 09:21:38 PM »
A substantial post for the Book Lodge; and is relevant to the date that goes by less and less observed.

Thanks, RG.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »
Read in 2021

41) THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1897)

by H. G. Wells

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2021, 11:36:03 PM »
A substantial post for the Book Lodge; and is relevant to the date that goes by less and less observed.

Thanks, RG.

My pleasure, Cam!

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #236 on: December 08, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »
@PolkaDot

Thank you!

I enjoyed it very much. The confrontational chemistry between Lester and Allison was exquisite.

I like that the host let them ramble on and he did not ask too many questions. There was no need. (Something certain radio show hosts don't often grasp, instead they follow a check list of tedious, basic questions and eat up valuable interview time.)

I won't go into my  theory of a way to interpret Mary Shelley's Frankenstein;  or, The Modern Prometheus.

It would bore readers into a state of synapses obscurae††† (or a state of: anti-galvinism, or Victor  Frankenstein level  catatonia, or web-page drift †††).

I will say that they did not cover my theory - but may very well have done so in their book.

I loved Lester's slight against Frakenberry®.

A very enjoyable podcast episode. Notorious could easily do a second episode with them for Halloween 2022. Plenty of material left to cover.

"Percy [Shelley] was a hoe." - Allison

††† My unique phrasing. Use or discard at will. Heh heh.

Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it @Camazotz Automat !

I've always felt the same as Allison- Percy was certainly a ho.

I'm about halfway through Frankenstein and finding Mr. Frankenstein to be a bit of a pitiful sobfest. At least Monster has childishness as an excuse. I did make it about four pages before I realized I had definitely read it before. I'm continuing on, though honestly, I'm not sure why.
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2021, 04:25:12 PM »
Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it @Camazotz Automat !

I've always felt the same as Allison- Percy was certainly a ho.

I'm about halfway through Frankenstein and finding Mr. Frankenstein to be a bit of a pitiful sobfest. At least Monster has childishness as an excuse. I did make it about four pages before I realized I had definitely read it before. I'm continuing on, though honestly, I'm not sure why.

@PolkaDot

I know that feeling.

When I am not particularly engaged with a book, but feel compelled to "finish what I started," I like to cite self improvement, expanding vocabulary, absorbing new techniques...

But at the core, it is often a stubbornness that at some point verges on the masochistic depending on exactly how non hooked I am on the book.

Then I turn the page.

Or begin planning the book's demise.  ;)

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2021, 11:05:47 AM »
42) HOW TO WRITE A BOOK IN TEN MINUTES A DAY (2021)

by Denice Simms

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2021, 12:53:07 AM »
43) UNFATHOMABLE (2016)

by James Nestor