Author Topic: Ask Bart Anything  (Read 750857 times)

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
Re: Ask Bart Anything
« Reply #255 on: July 29, 2018, 10:36:17 PM »
I guess there is a way but I honestly have not looked yet. I do plan on making all the smites public one day, if it is possible to.
People got much more involved with it than I thought they would. I forget it is there until I read a post from someone worrying about theirs.
Speaking of which... +1 smite for this idea.  >:(  You will see it in the future, and remember this post.  ;)

whoozit

• Elluminati
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2018, 05:04:00 AM »
Is the zoo like Falkie’s Fortress?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2018, 05:16:45 AM »
Is the zoo like Falkie’s Fortress?

If this was 2017 or earlier it would probably be called that, yes.
Now we have the CuckShack.

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2018, 09:25:55 PM »
I guess there is a way but I honestly have not looked yet. I do plan on making all the smites public one day, if it is possible to.
People got much more involved with it than I thought they would. I forget it is there until I read a post from someone worrying about theirs.

Why not just let the responses to posts be the guage and arbitor as is the common practice?  This secret ballot thing seems contrary to the purpose of fora like this and if it was intended to end the juviinile taunting and name calling that goes on it isn't working.  It also has every potential for turning into a popularity contest fostering cliqueish behavior and serving as a vehicle for no-risk axe grinding.  If someone has a pro or con opinion about what another has posted one should state it in a forthright manner under their user ID.  How does voting up or down anonymously promote a dialogue which is what I thought these discussion boards where all about? 

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
if it was intended to end the juviinile taunting and name calling that goes on it isn't working.

I think it was intended to make people like you write paragraphs about it.
It's working.

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:17 PM »
I think it was intended to make people like you write paragraphs about it.
It's working.

Okay, so  I wasn’t too far off in thinking that it was a useless add on by someone with way too much free time on their hands.  Glad we had this conversation.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2018, 12:20:51 AM »
Why not just let the responses to posts be the guage and arbitor as is the common practice?  This secret ballot thing seems contrary to the purpose of fora like this and if it was intended to end the juviinile taunting and name calling that goes on it isn't working.  It also has every potential for turning into a popularity contest fostering cliqueish behavior and serving as a vehicle for no-risk axe grinding.  If someone has a pro or con opinion about what another has posted one should state it in a forthright manner under their user ID.  How does voting up or down anonymously promote a dialogue which is what I thought these discussion boards where all about?
It also depends on how you look at the karma spectrum.  Personally, hovering around neutral can be refreshing.  After all, there are many types of people for who I feel pleasing is not desirable.  And negative karma can be a reminder to stay spiffy!

WOTR

• Drone Pilot
  • Run Airyn... Run and don't look back...
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2018, 01:42:00 AM »

Okay, so  I wasn’t too far off in thinking that it was a useless add on by someone with way too much free time on their hands.  Glad we had this conversation.

I'll give you a +1 based just on this post.  I don't know that I have ever seen this feature on a forum.  I suppose if / when everything becomes public it will be interesting and cause a little drama.  That will be the day that we all know that Bart has decided to channel his "inner MV".  :-\

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2018, 04:33:46 AM »

Useless?
It got your titties in a bunch. my ant farm resident.
Great success!

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2018, 04:41:24 AM »
I'll give you a +1 based just on this post.  I don't know that I have ever seen this feature on a forum.  I suppose if / when everything becomes public it will be interesting and cause a little drama.  That will be the day that we all know that Bart has decided to channel his "inner MV".  :-\

It's an optional core feature of SMF, it is not even an add-on.
The fact that adults care about it is quite fascinating to me.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Karma

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2018, 05:56:33 AM »
Useless?
It got your titties in a bunch. my ant farm resident.
Great success!

Titties in a bunch?  Ant farm resident?   I ask a legitimate question and you go all wise-ass and condescending? Maybe you should change the name of this string to “Bart Will Answer any Question You Have  Provided He Likes It.” 

Bobs Your Uncle

• Ellightened
  • "It is your birthday"
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »

You're assuming we're all adults here.

Kidnostad

• Psychiatric Hold
  • Elluminati
« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2018, 06:13:15 AM »

The operative word here is optional.

Laurakinch

• KIDD
« Reply #268 on: July 31, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »

Talk about someone with too much time on their hands. Sheesh.

DynamoHum

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
  • Don’t tell me if anyone dies, k?
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2018, 09:19:44 AM »
I think being able to like or dislike a post could be misused (if you cared about what people think about what you post), it could stop people posting on the forum (thus keeping the board streamlined, or curtail further conversation).

However this is EllGab, everyone is adulty enough to rise above favouritism, and if they aren’t we’ll enjoy the arguments that ensue. For me the takeaway is if you don’t have the balls to reply to it, you maybe shouldn’t have the right to like or dislike it, thus in effect potentially negating the need for like and dislikes.

Give pees a chance.

Hi Metron <3