Author Topic: Aviation Thread  (Read 39498 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Aviation Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2022, 06:49:46 PM »
Hey Walks, ever see this rascal?

I have.  I think Northrup had something similar as well if I recall correctly.

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2022, 07:33:31 PM »
I have.  I think Northrup had something similar as well if I recall correctly.

So did Vultee, they all three were competing for the same contract. I don't remember which company's a/c it was, but one of them crashed about a mile from where I live.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2022, 08:49:00 PM »

Note at the end of the segment, the news lady asks the reporter in the field what the consequences would be if the pilot had done something unlawful and the guy totally misconstrues her question.

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2022, 01:12:22 PM »

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »
Sounds like the P.R.C. might try and go fetch it.

Race to beat China to recover $100m US F-35 stealth fighter from bottom of South China Sea after it crash landed on aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson: Fears secret technology from America's most advanced jet could fall into enemy hands

Reminds me of when the Soviets tried to recover one of our F-14s.

I was at a push competition to make the us bobsled team in September 1976. The Navy bobsled team was made up of SEAL Team members. A grey gsa vehicle pulled up to the push track in Keene Valley, NY and spoke to the most senior member. He pointed to several squids and motioned for them to get into the vehicle.

I was assigned to the Intelligence division at Plattsburgh AFB with a TS clearance. The first thing I did when I got back to base was to go see what in the hell was up in the world that caused several SEAL team members to get snatched out of upstate NY.

An F14 had fallen off the deck of the John F Kennedy. Because I was reading raw intelligence the cause was not known at the time. What was known was that the Phoenix fire control radar and the AIM 54 air to air missiles were considered to be some of the most sought after hardware by Soviet intelligence.
Maybe @Uncle Duke knows the true story of the recovery. I’ve read a bunch of different accounts and none of them quite match what I eventually read in classified accounts.

The Russians did try to snag it.  That’s all I’ll say. I think the book “Beyond Top Secret” has a write up. I did try getting the details from the SEALs later on but even when I was alone with them, they wouldn’t talk. And I wasn’t going to discuss what I had read in the classified accounts. I just told them I knew why they were jerked out back in September.

We have a bunch more capability today than we did in 1976 with RPVs. I hope we get there first.
Are we having fun yet?

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2022, 06:40:21 PM »
Reminds me of when the Soviets tried to recover one of our F-14s.

I was at a push competition to make the us bobsled team in September 1976. The Navy bobsled team was made up of SEAL Team members. A grey gsa vehicle pulled up to the push track in Keene Valley, NY and spoke to the most senior member. He pointed to several squids and motioned for them to get into the vehicle.

I was assigned to the Intelligence division at Plattsburgh AFB with a TS clearance. The first thing I did when I got back to base was to go see what in the hell was up in the world that caused several SEAL team members to get snatched out of upstate NY.

An F14 had fallen off the deck of the John F Kennedy. Because I was reading raw intelligence the cause was not known at the time. What was known was that the Phoenix fire control radar and the AIM 54 air to air missiles were considered to be some of the most sought after hardware by Soviet intelligence.
Maybe @Uncle Duke knows the true story of the recovery. I’ve read a bunch of different accounts and none of them quite match what I eventually read in classified accounts.

The Russians did try to snag it.  That’s all I’ll say. I think the book “Beyond Top Secret” has a write up. I did try getting the details from the SEALs later on but even when I was alone with them, they wouldn’t talk. And I wasn’t going to discuss what I had read in the classified accounts. I just told them I knew why they were jerked out back in September.

We have a bunch more capability today than we did in 1976 with RPVs. I hope we get there first.

Cool story. In 1976 I was in college and don't remember the F-14 incident. I do recall being at Langley in 1980 when it was announced the Soviets put one of their Yak-38 VTOL fighters off a Kiev class carrier/cruiser into the South China Sea.  There was talk of the US trying to recover it, but I don't know if we did.  When I worked JSF in the late 90s I talked to a former P-3 TACCO at PAX who claimed his crew spent hours trying find it with MAD gear and other sensors.  Turns out the Yak-38 was a piece of shit, so even if we recovered it it's doubtful we learned anything of use.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2022, 08:11:00 PM »
Cool story. In 1976 I was in college and don't remember the F-14 incident. I do recall being at Langley in 1980 when it was announced the Soviets put one of their Yak-38 VTOL fighters off a Kiev class carrier/cruiser into the South China Sea.  There was talk of the US trying to recover it, but I don't know if we did.  When I worked JSF in the late 90s I talked to a former P-3 TACCO at PAX who claimed his crew spent hours trying find it with MAD gear and other sensors.  Turns out the Yak-38 was a piece of shit, so even if we recovered it it's doubtful we learned anything of use.

BTW - I out pushed all of the Navy SEALs and made the team. One of them was selected as an alternate. The military was well represented that year. 17 athletes and coaches went, 9 active duty and 2 veterans. Mostly USAF. Another Navy SEAL made it as a 2 man driver and a Marine made it as a 4 man driver. Still have great memories of that year.
Are we having fun yet?

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
Ivan says the Naval version of the F-35 is getting all crusty rusty out there at sea.
https://sputniknews.com/20220201/photos-us-navys-f-35-stealth-fighters-seem-to-be-rusting-on-south-china-sea-voyage-1092648254.html

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #159 on: February 01, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »
Drama over on BigJet TV!

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2022, 09:49:08 AM »
Drama over on BigJet TV!

Yikes!  Looks like a tail strike at about 17 seconds.  I'd be curious what they told the passengers as they were going around.

I was on a Shorts 330 flying into Newport News VA that had to abort a landing back in the early 80s.  Wasn't nearly as dramatic as the one shown here, but hearing the engines spool up within seconds of initial touchdown was an attention getter.  The pilot claimed there were deer on the runway, but who knows.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2022, 10:15:54 AM »
Yikes!  Looks like a tail strike at about 17 seconds.  I'd be curious what they told the passengers as they were going around.

British Airways.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, as you probably noticed we nearly snuffed it there but all is well now"

Uncle Duke

• Elluminati
« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2022, 11:38:10 AM »
British Airways.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, as you probably noticed we nearly snuffed it there but all is well now"

Never knew Alex went on to fly for BA.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »
Never knew Alex went on to fly for BA.

Oh yeah. He started out with DroogAir but made the jump to the big time.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login