Author Topic: Thanksgiving 2019  (Read 6693 times)

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
Thanksgiving 2019
« on: October 31, 2019, 11:54:07 PM »
Hello everyone. Now that Halloween of 2019 is done, Lets talk turkey as in the bird not the country. What is everyone favorite dish for Thanksgiving?

JayGab

• KNYE
Re: Thanksgiving 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 09:59:46 PM »
Hello everyone. Now that Halloween of 2019 is done, Lets talk turkey as in the bird not the country. What is everyone favorite dish for Thanksgiving?
Not everybody knows how to properly do a classic turkey. These assholes who deep-fry the fucker are the worst. They have no business being in the kitchen. They should be skinned alive and dipped in rock salt.
Actual N-Word
Not A Paid Actor

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 08:43:25 PM »
Oven roasted turkey with giblet and chestnut dressing, mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives and plenty of crackling turkey gravy, green bean in chicken/mushroom sauce with a fried onion crust on top casserole, roasted yams topped with marshmallows casserole, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top for dessert.  MMMMMMM! ;) ;D :-* :-* :-*

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »
Oven roasted turkey with giblet and chestnut dressing, mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives and plenty of crackling turkey gravy, green bean in chicken/mushroom sauce with a fried onion crust on top casserole, roasted yams topped with marshmallows casserole, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top for dessert.  MMMMMMM! ;) ;D :-* :-* :-*

Roasted yams.  Heh, family tradition here is to add a lot more calories...

Mashed (garnet) yams mixed with sugar, eggs, coconut (or condensed) milk, vanilla, and a bit of salt.  Topping is a b. sugar, flour, butter, pecan mix.  Bake.

Marbled pumpkin cheesecake pie for desert.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 12:20:11 AM »
Roasted yams.  Heh, family tradition here is to add a lot more calories...

Mashed (garnet) yams mixed with sugar, eggs, coconut (or condensed) milk, vanilla, and a bit of salt.  Topping is a b. sugar, flour, butter, pecan mix.  Bake.

Marbled pumpkin cheesecake pie for desert.

Hmmmmm.  I may have to invite myself to your place this year just for a taste test, lol. ;)

+1 ;D

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 04:58:14 AM »
Hmmmmm.  I may have to invite myself to your place this year just for a taste test, lol. ;)

+1 ;D

Sure thing, bring some of them green beans.

For an easier version (my version of it) - the mashed yams are of course already cooked (boiled, peeled, then mashed up) - just mix in some butter and a little b. sugar.  For the topping leave out the flour. 

Also, I misspoke - it's pumpkin pie cheesecake. 

Marshmallows.  We have a dish that's mostly cream cheese mixed with crushed canned pineapple; next level is a good sprinkling of the tiny marshmallows; topping is pour on a thin line of cherry jello, enough to cover marshmallows.  Refrigerate overnight or until jello is solid.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »

@damon   Can't talk turkey since I've been burned out on it for years.  I try to mix the menu up with different dishes, which is nearly every year.  It depends on if I'm cooking for my immediate family or if there are also other guests, etc.  I'll make it, but won't eat much of it.  I just care about if others like what I make.  I'm sure that sounds weird but I don't eat anything on Thanksgiving.  Well, I may have a few tiny portions to make it seem like I am.  It's funny that on a day where stereotypically people gorge themselves...I barely eat a thing.

Fortunately this year I am cooking for just a few people and turkey is not on the menu.  The core of the meal will be focused around cassoulet w/duck and crab cakes.

Favorite dish for Thanksgiving?  Honestly...I don't think I ever had one.   :-\   Now that I really think about it, it's sad.

I think I may have gone into a slight rant in this post.   Honestly, I'm weary of Thanksgiving.  I may feel differently if someone would cook for me so I can sit down, relax, and enjoy it all when it's served.  Only happened twice in the last 23 years.   :(

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
@damon   Can't talk turkey since I've been burned out on it for years.  I try to mix the menu up with different dishes, which is nearly every year.  It depends on if I'm cooking for my immediate family or if there are also other guests, etc.  I'll make it, but won't eat much of it.  I just care about if others like what I make.  I'm sure that sounds weird but I don't eat anything on Thanksgiving.  Well, I may have a few tiny portions to make it seem like I am.  It's funny that on a day where stereotypically people gorge themselves...I barely eat a thing.

Fortunately this year I am cooking for just a few people and turkey is not on the menu.  The core of the meal will be focused around cassoulet w/duck and crab cakes.

Favorite dish for Thanksgiving?  Honestly...I don't think I ever had one.   :-\   Now that I really think about it, it's sad.

I think I may have gone into a slight rant in this post.   Honestly, I'm weary of Thanksgiving.  I may feel differently if someone would cook for me so I can sit down, relax, and enjoy it all when it's served.  Only happened twice in the last 23 years.   :(

@ShayP there is a high bar set by the pictures Heather posted of her duck feast last year. Pics are required.
Are we having fun yet?

damon

• I Am The New Falkie!
  • Ellightened
  • Gone Fishing
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
Is everyone ready for thanksgiving?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 06:46:56 PM »
Is everyone ready for thanksgiving?

I think so. Are you?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
I think so. Are you?
@anniem Some people do a Turkey and a ham (we often do coz we get a houseful most years)  Do you have a preference?  Did a huuuge prime rib roast one year. That went over huge but it just felt wrong.

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 07:09:42 PM »
@anniem Some people do a Turkey and a ham (we often do coz we get a houseful most years)  Do you have a preference?  Did a huuuge prime rib roast one year. That went over huge but it just felt wrong.

@KSM I don't care for ham so much, it really seems like turkey is needed. We have my father's stuffing recipe which is nearly the same as my mother-in-law's so we will have that. It just reminds me oh growing up. I do like these holidays.
About how many people end up at your place?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 07:27:46 PM »
@KSM I don't care for ham so much, it really seems like turkey is needed. We have my father's stuffing recipe which is nearly the same as my mother-in-law's so we will have that. It just reminds me oh growing up. I do like these holidays.
About how many people end up at your place?
OMG isn't great stuffing sooo important. Didn't use to like it but I sure do now.  My dad used to put diced green peppers in his :o WTF dad??

Our record was 22 people Christmas 2017. This thanksgiving (little over a month ago) we had 15.  This Christmas will be just us two :) Ahhhhh how nice that will be.  12LB turkey already in freezer. He's Greg ;D  I name them every year.

When you have too many people the risk of a problem occurring is greatly  increased as one couple is sure to argue about something or perhaps someone will drink a little much and make things awkward. That's almost its own thread right there..

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:40 PM »
OMG isn't great stuffing sooo important. Didn't use to like it but I sure do now.  My dad used to put diced green peppers in his :o WTF dad?? Our record was 22 people Christmas 2017. This thanksgiving (little over a month ago) we had 15.  This Christmas will be just us two :) Ahhhhh how nice that will be.  12LB turkey already in freezer. He's Greg ;D  I name them every year.

That's funny!

When you have too many people the risk of a problem occurring is greatly  increased as one couple is sure to argue about something or perhaps someone will drink a little much and make things awkward. That's almost its own thread right there..

We don't have family nearby. We used to have a couple of friends over, but haven't for a while now. And one is gone for good recently and will never be back again. Christmas we have my mother fly in, that is fun for us.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving you wonderful peeps.  :)