Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1427938 times)

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2018, 01:42:06 AM »

After seeing all the death and destruction in World War I, I still find it hard to believe they thought it was a good idea to try it again a mere 21 years later. And gave it a real strong effort too. I hope someday people get tired of killing each other.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2018, 12:48:35 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, September 23, 1918.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Bird's-eye view of Haifa, taken on the day of its capture by the Jodhpore and Mysore Lancers, 15th (Imperial Service) Cavalry Brigade, supported by "B" Battery Honourable Artillery Company, 23rd September 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247855 © IWM (Q 12337)

Indian cavalry of the Jodhpore and Mysore Lancers, 16th (Imperial Service) Cavalry Brigade passing through Haifa following the city's capture from Turkey (Ottoman Empire), 23rd September 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205194923 © IWM (Q 12335)

American minelayer USS SAN FRANCISCO in dry dock at Invergordon, 23 September 1918.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205261042 © IWM (Q 20263)

Submarine R-27 ready for launching. 23rd September 1918.
  https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205093267 © IWM (Q 68441)

Here is a picture of the R-27 a couple years later:

United States Navy submarine R-27, possibly off Hawaii.
By U.S. Navy photograph - http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08104.htm, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20272847

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2018, 01:25:15 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Seattle Star, September 23, 1918.

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2018, 09:59:26 AM »
The Meuse-Argonne Offensive was launched 100 years ago today.  The objective for the Americans was the railroad hub at Sedan.
It would pit the U.S. First Army commanded by John Pershing against the German Fifth Army commanded by  Georg von der Marwitz.
It would be considered a success but over 26,000 Americans would die and another 100,000 would be wounded.

Pershing

Georg von der Marwitz

Prior to the start of the battle, the bulk of the U.S. forces had to be shifted from St. Mihiel in a very short time.  This was accomplished
and it was considered to be a logistical miracle.   The man in charge of that was a young Colonel named George C. Marshall.

At 5:30 AM on the 26th the American attack began.  Most objectives were met but the Germans held out at Montfaucon - which slowed the entire operation and allowed the Germans to regroup.  Here was the plan:

Exile

• Official EllGab Thought Leader and towel snapper
  • Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »
After seeing all the death and destruction in World War I, I still find it hard to believe they thought it was a good idea to try it again a mere 21 years later. And gave it a real strong effort too. I hope someday people get tired of killing each other.

WW II was pretty much just a continuation of WW I. The real reasons for Germany's defeat were never addressed and punitive reparations demanded by the French didn't help one.

Plus the largest Army in Western Europe was only prepared to fight the last war despite all the technological advances of last 20 years.
Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
This is not a criticism at Rikki Gins, I love these photos you are posting.

I would like a uncaptioned photo or two just to test my knowledge of the equipment and people involved.

Keep them coming!

:)
Ask me about the legendary desert Bigfoot. A.K.A the Sandsquatch and his more elusive cousin, the Albino White Sands Dunefoot.

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

I would like a uncaptioned photo or two just to test my knowledge of the equipment and people involved. involved.

Keep them coming!

Are we having fun yet?

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »

I would like a uncaptioned photo or two just to test my knowledge of the equipment and people involved.

Keep them coming!

Good thinking.  When I find an Imperial War Museum pic that has lots of weaponry or vehicles, I'll just put the date under it.  Those links at the bottom of the pics, plus the last set of reference numbers are all that is required by the IWM when people want to download their photos and post them elsewhere.  Not a bad deal, actually.   

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
Good thinking.  When I find an Imperial War Museum pic that has lots of weaponry or vehicles, I'll just put the date under it.  Those links at the bottom of the pics, plus the last set of reference numbers are all that is required by the IWM when people want to download their photos and post them elsewhere.  Not a bad deal, actually.

Looking forward to the next set of pics! We have less than 2 months WW I history left to cover before it runs out. Would you consider skipping ahead to the WW II time line or run a concurrent thread?

Although the Soviet-Polish War is a little known topic that is also fascinating to probably should be covered.

Not asking for much am I?

;D

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2018, 06:19:15 PM »
Looking forward to the next set of pics! We have less than 2 months WW I history left to cover before it runs out. Would you consider skipping ahead to the WW II time line or run a concurrent thread?

Although the Soviet-Polish War is a little known topic that is also fascinating to probably should be covered.

;D
I think we should stick to time-line because I'm looking forward to the Finnish Civil War, Russian Revolution and Civil War, and then the Winter War (Soviets vs Finland) etc. Plus maybe frequent radio caller Bill from Madison will post little known details about Finnish history!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
This dude would chew snow so the Reds couldn't see his breath, iron sites (to avoid being detected and cold effects on scope, and had over 500+ confirmed kills- to jump ahead some years.

Exile

• Ellevated
  • Have a day!
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2018, 08:41:03 PM »
I think we should stick to time-line because I'm looking forward to the Finnish Civil War, Russian Revolution and Civil War, and then the Winter War (Soviets vs Finland) etc. Plus maybe frequent radio caller Bill from Madison will post little known details about Finnish history!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
This dude would chew snow so the Reds couldn't see his breath, iron sites (to avoid being detected and cold effects on scope, and had over 500+ confirmed kills- to jump ahead some years.

Ahhh....Seymo Heyha IIRC.  Can't believe he's a real Soumi though. Not a single umlaut in his name.

:P

The Soviet-Polish war also took place during the 1919-1920 time frame. So lets wait then.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2018, 01:30:43 AM »

;D

No, not too much. ;D Thanks, I wish I could have the time to open some threads on other periods of history but I'm going to stick with the 100 years ago thread.  I think some interesting events will be coming up after WWI is over.  Uppermost, I guess, the deadly Spanish Influenza of 1918.  I'm pretty sure that it will continue on into 1919.  I would like to see you start a thread on WWII.  I would certainly enjoy reading it, and perhaps you could start it out on December 7th and do some day by day coverage of what was happening 77 years ago?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2018, 01:38:44 AM »
From the Imperial War Museum, September 24, 1918.

A gun crew posing between an odd looking pair of guns. September 24, 1918.
© IWM (Q 11777)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2018, 02:17:15 AM »
From the Library of Congress.  The Sun, September 24, 1918.
(Kind of a downer of an article, but such pieces were common in newspapers 100 years ago.)