Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 503521 times)

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Perry used a Hayden Mill-A-Gram to wish his friend Marilyn a happy birthday.

The Hayden Flour Co. of Tecumseh, Michigan started production back in 1858 and lasted until 1951 though the big building was used for other purposes throughout the years, finally becoming a community center in 1961.  http://historictecumseh.org/history/haydens/

Perry mailed his card on August 28, 1942 while World War Two was going on.  Aside from the war, several other things happened on that day.

1. The 9th NFL Chicago All-Star Game was held and the Chicago Bears beat the All-Stars by a score of 21 to nothing.
2. Gunther Hagg from Sweden set a world record for the 3,000m. race by clocking a time of 8:01.2.
3. Transport #25 departed with French Jews to nazi-Germany.  (I guess item number three had something to do with the war.)

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Oh, what a cool postcard, Tootsie.  I believe that stamp dates back to 1907.

Is that one you would bid on, Rikki?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2018, 10:30:51 AM »

I tried looking up the address but is seems 242 does not exist anymore and have been replaced by apartments.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2018, 01:26:57 PM »
Is that one you would bid on, Rikki?

Oh yes, Bart, I would bid on that card in a hot second, though it is a step up from most of the postcards that appear on that weekly auction.  Pretty sure that I'd get outbid on it.  The guy who runs the auction manages to move up to 2,000 postcards every Sunday until 6:00 pm Pacific time.  I don't know how he does it because once one auction ends, another one starts right up, with 2,000 more postcards that can be bid on for almost a full week.  That French postcard with the girl on the lizard would certainly stand out and one thing I have noticed is that most of the postcards are from the U.S.  There are very few postcards from other countries on that auction.  I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet that the card would go for at least $20.00 or higher if it were to appear on that auction.  Of course, if it is a real collectable type of card, it might fetch thousands.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
I tried looking up the address but is seems 242 does not exist anymore and have been replaced by apartments.

Yes, it's fun to look up the addresses to see if the houses, restaurants and other buildings are still there or not.   

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
Here are some more pics and a postcard from the U.S.S. Huron's tour of the Philippines back in 1925 or 1926.

That is a real postcard of Luneta Park in Manila at the top, followed by a real picture taken by the photographer from the Huron.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

If I were a millionaire, I would happily invite and transport Bart and all other EllGabbers to the world famous Palace Hotel in San Francisco.  (I could really do it too because the Palace Hotel is still there.)  First we could have some drinks in the Pied Piper bar, followed by lunch in the stain glassed domed Garden Court.  Then we would make our way to the GC lounge for tea in the afternoon and
savory bites, signature cocktails, curated wines, and decadent desserts at night.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/dining/index.html?propertyID=373

There is so much history in this postcard that I hardly know where to start.  First, Lotta Crabtree.  That must be her wearing the big dress in the painting to the right.  Despite the comical name, Lotta was a real woman who arrived with her family, in San Francisco during the gold rush days.  She made a big fortune by singing and dancing and it probably didn't hurt that she was, in my opinion, a very beautiful woman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta_Crabtree

In later years, Lotta used some of her money to build a fountain
at the intersection of Market Street, where Geary and Kearny Streets connect in downtown San Francisco, California.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotta%27s_Fountain

A large number of people met at the fountain shortly after the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906.  The Palace Hotel itself burned up after the quake but thankfully it was rebuilt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_Francisco_earthquake
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_Hotel,_San_Francisco

So there you have it.  I would like to propose a toast to the memory of Lotta Crabtree.

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »

Mata Hari?

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2018, 01:33:29 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
Louise Brooks

Louise and Mata Hari were alive at the same time for awhile.  Louise was ten years old when Mata Hari was killed.  Very pretty lady, or ladies, I should say.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias Frank Albertson
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
Another postcard in the U.S. Postal Service's Old West set.

There are also more postcards of Kit Carson out there in the world.  Here is one of them:

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »

Louise and Mata Hari were alive at the same time for awhile.  Louise was ten years old when Mata Hari was killed.  Very pretty lady, or ladies, I should say.
  Love Louise Brooks fashion and bob hairstyle :)

Spookcat

• Proud Cat Lady
  • Ellevated
  • I'm not an actual cat...or am I?!
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2018, 05:49:49 PM »

Beautiful!
Time spent with cats is never wasted.

K_Dubb

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2018, 06:02:04 PM »

So there you have it.  I would like to propose a toast to the memory of Lotta Crabtree.

To Mme Crabtree!  And thank you for the great history.  I wonder what she drank; champagne cocktails most likely.  Interesting murals; the figure on the far right looks like it escaped out of one of Matisse's.