Author Topic: The 100 Years Ago Thread  (Read 1459201 times)

anniem

• Ellevated
Re: The 100 Years Ago Thread
« Reply #1965 on: August 18, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »
@anniem.  Coke ovens are big (very big) open blast furnace things that are used by the iron ore industry to process iron ore.  Coke is a mineral used as a fuel, kind of like coal.  Robert could possibly have fallen into the oven somehow, because only his head and arms were burnt.  If somebody wanted to kill him, the ovens are way big enough to stuff someone's entire body into them.  (Might as well do it that way and try to get rid of all the evidence.)  Lightning is a weird force.  I've read that bolts can hit a person and then actually come back out through any opening in the body.  Some of the lightning might have exited from George's mouth, oddly enough.  It could have scrambled the muscle tissue in his tongue, perhaps, or even caused him to have a partial stroke.  (I'm just guessing off the top of my head on these items.  I think I'm right about the coke, but not too sure about George's tongue.)  PS, Hannah had lingering mental health problems after recuperating from the great Spanish Influenza of 1918.  She couldn't live with the fact that her husband had bought a different house and that they would have to move away from the house that they were living in.  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/144518050/hannah-knoble

Wow. And here we are reading about it all these years later.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1966 on: August 18, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
Thank you @Bart Ell, @juan, @anniem, @StarrMountain, @Walks_At_Night, @Mr Apnea, @BartEllProducer, @GravitySucks, @Starbuck Twitch and @FISH, for playing the What Will Mrs. Thompson Say? game.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Mr Apnea: 1 point
anniem: 1 point
juan: 1 point
Walks At Night: 1 point
Gravity Sucks: 1 point
Starbuck Twitch: 1 point
FISH: 1 point
Bart Ell: 0 points
StarrMountain: 0 points
BartEllProducer: 0 points

I'm just curious.  Is "Mrs." Thompson actually married?  To a man?  Does she have children, or is she still a virgin?  It helps to have an understanding of the nature of this "Mrs. Thompson" for future assessments. 
I mean, there are points at stake fer gawd's sake!

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1967 on: August 18, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
I'm just curious.  Is "Mrs." Thompson actually married?  To a man?  Does she have children, or is she still a virgin?  It helps to have an understanding of the nature of this "Mrs. Thompson" for future assessments. 
I mean, there are points at stake fer gawd's sake!

@StarrMountain.

Mrs. Thompson worked alone, in an office high above the streets of New York City.  She posed as a somewhat eccentric widow type who handed out advice to blackhead covered people who were lost in love.  In reality, Elizabeth was a highly intelligent, beautiful, slim lady in her late twenties who hammered out three daily newspaper columns under different pen names.  She was engaged during the year 1919.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1968 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
@StarrMountain.

Mrs. Thompson worked alone, in an office high above the streets of New York City.  She posed as a somewhat eccentric widow type who handed out advice to blackhead covered people who were lost in love.  In reality, Elizabeth was a highly intelligent, beautiful, slim lady in her late twenties who hammered out three daily newspaper columns under different pen names.  She was engaged during the year 1919.

Oh my.  She could have been a "super model" in her day (if there was such a thing back then).  She also had savvy, intelligence, and grit.  Definitely ahead of her time. 
Okay, Rix, no more whining from me. ;) ;D

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1969 on: August 18, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »
Oh my.  She could have been a "super model" in her day (if there was such a thing back then).  She also had savvy, intelligence, and grit.  Definitely ahead of her time. 
Okay, Rix, no more whining from me. ;) ;D

Anytime, Starr!  

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1970 on: August 18, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »
                          From the Library of Congress, 1919.

What Will Mrs. Thompson Say?

What can G.M.W. burn to get rid of pipe soot?  This is kind of a hard one so let's make the correct answer worth 5 points.  Feel free to make up to three (and only three) guesses as to what will remove the soot.  You will get five points for each correct ingredient that Mrs. Thompson mentions in her reply.  

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #1971 on: August 18, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »

What can G.M.W. burn to get rid of pipe soot?  This is kind of a hard one so let's make the correct answer worth 5 points.  Feel free to make up to three (and only three) guesses as to what will remove the soot.  You will get five points for each correct ingredient that Mrs. Thompson mentions in her reply.

Soot is best cleaned by brushing and should be done by a chimney sweep. If there is a heavy creosote build up some people believe in a very hot fire using a hard wood that does not have a lot of sap. Cardboard and paper can help build a hot, fast burning fire.  You must be careful though. If the creosote catches fire it will burn like a rocket motor. A professional chimney sweep is always the safest option.

Some people recommend adding trisodium phosphate to the fire periodically to keep the creosote from building up.
Are we having fun yet?

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1972 on: August 18, 2019, 07:27:38 PM »
Soot is best cleaned by brushing and should be done by a chimney sweep. If there is a heavy creosote build up some people believe in a very hot fire using a hard wood that does not have a lot of sap. Cardboard and paper can help build a hot, fast burning fire.  You must be careful though. If the creosote catches fire it will burn like a rocket motor. A professional chimney sweep is always the safest option.

Some people recommend adding trisodium phosphate to the fire periodically to keep the creosote from building up.

I've seen 2 chimney fires.  And you're right.  It does look like a rocket, ass-end up. :o

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1973 on: August 18, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »

I
HAVE
NO
IDEA
OF
SUCH
THINGS

Mr Apnea

• Ellevated
« Reply #1974 on: August 18, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »

1.  Aluminum
2. Salt
3. Copper

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1975 on: August 18, 2019, 07:41:16 PM »

Ok, I will guess.
One wafer thin mint

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1976 on: August 18, 2019, 09:36:31 PM »
I've seen 2 chimney fires.  And you're right.  It does look like a rocket, ass-end up. :o

My answer about creosote is probably off base if all they burned was soft coal.
Are we having fun yet?

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
« Reply #1977 on: August 18, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
1.  Aluminum
2. Salt
3. Copper

I was going to mention aluminum but wasn’t sure how available it was in 1919.
Are we having fun yet?

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1978 on: August 19, 2019, 01:08:44 AM »
From the Library of Congress. The Richmond Palladium and Sun-Telegram.  August 19, 1919.

FISH

• 2 FISTS OF HATE
  • Ellevated
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #1979 on: August 19, 2019, 04:46:53 AM »

Mrs. T. has a side job as a chemist and loves to hang out with druggists. Only RG and the lovey Liz know the correct answer.  I am willing to give it a try. I have been cleaning weird things all my life.
First make sure your burner is not hot. Dust the soot out of your burner. Wash off your soot with a CLEANING mixture of _____.
3 POSSIBLE INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR CLEANING MIXTURE.
Glycerin
Vinegar
Borax
The cobwebs in my brain are complaining. I need 2 wafer thin mints.