Author Topic: Do You Get The Flu Shot & What Do You Think About It?  (Read 3510 times)

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
Do You Get The Flu Shot & What Do You Think About It?
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:31:22 PM »
I don't. I never have and I most certainly don't plan to start now. I may be a little conspiratorial about it but that's a different conversation. Or maybe not. My father n' law gets it every year in early December and sure enough, every year he almost misses Christmas because HE"S FUCKING SICK!! I know that many people take this yearly vaccine with seemingly no negative effects.. yet. Who knows :-\

Just curious.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
Re: Do You Get The Flu Shot & What Do You Think About It?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »
I don't. I never have and I most certainly don't plan to start now. I may be a little conspiratorial about it but that's a different conversation. Or maybe not. My father n' law gets it every year in early December and sure enough, every year he almost misses Christmas because HE"S FUCKING SICK!! I know that many people take this yearly vaccine with seemingly no negative effects.. yet. Who knows :-\

Just curious.
I have been getting the flu shot for several decades. I rarely get the flu but I can't say for certain it is because of the flu shot. From what I have researched, it seems like it is one of those things that work better for some people and is not that effective for others. Some years they don't get the strains right so the shot would not be of much benefit for those years. Just as important, maybe even more important, is to prevent the germs from getting in with hand washing and avoiding close contact with people that are sick.

I am also aware of the opposing view about the flu shot (and other vaccines) as to claims of long term negative effects of taking them. I am convinced the short term and long term negative effects of the shots are minimal, if any, unless you are allergic to them. I know someone who is against all vaccines, including tetanus, shingles, and pneumonia vaccines but I just don't see the evidence that they are bad for everybody. Tetanus shots for example, in my view, are a must for us DIYers who have run ins with nails and also dog bites :)

twistedlogic

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
I get the flu shot yearly and haven't had the flu in years. I've had a cold or 2, but no flu.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
I get the flu shot yearly and haven't had the flu in years. I've had a cold or 2, but no flu.
Very cute current avatar:)  If you didn't get the shot I'll bet you still wouldn't get the flu.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:07:33 PM »
I haven't had the flu since I was a little kid. 

Would not get a flu shot in any case - isn't the reason we haven't eliminated the flu virus because it mutates so quickly?  What good does a shot do against that?  Plus, I don't like the idea of taking unnecessary medicine.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
A lady I know got paralyzed from the flu shot.  But, she has been in rehab for months and last time I saw her, was able to roll in a wheelchair.

So, um, NO.

twistedlogic

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »
What's  your thought on using Tamiflu for treating flu?

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 06:59:03 PM »
What's  your thought on using Tamiflu for treating flu?
@twistedlogic What is Tamiflu? Don't think I've ever heard of that. I do know that I've never liked anyone named Tammy. They can be mean :'(

twistedlogic

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »
@twistedlogic What is Tamiflu? Don't think I've ever heard of that. I do know that I've never liked anyone named Tammy. They can be mean :'(

Tamiflu is an prescription, antiviral med for the flu. Suppose to reduce severity of symptoms. It has some interesting side effects.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 07:31:40 AM »
Yeah, I get "the shot," cause it's a fad at the Olde Phart's hang out.  Otherwise, I wouldn't give a shit.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »
Ahh.  Ya musta met Tammy Whammy, lol. ;)   ;D ;D ;D

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
A lady I know got paralyzed from the flu shot.  But, she has been in rehab for months and last time I saw her, was able to roll in a wheelchair.

So, um, NO.
Her husband works full time and every day after a long day at work, he comes to spend hours with her.  Too bad "facilities" aren't set up for sleepovers.  A crying shame.

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »
Her husband works full time and every day after a long day at work, he comes to spend hours with her.  Too bad "facilities" aren't set up for sleepovers.  A crying shame.
@Sofia You're talking about a really sad situation but is there any way to prove that the flu shot is responsible for her condition? No accountability for this and her life is ruined. I'm assuming that's the case either way.

...and God bless him for sticking with her. Wow, good man.

Sofia

• Ellightened
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 11:16:46 PM »
@Sofia You're talking about a really sad situation but is there any way to prove that the flu shot is responsible for her condition? No accountability for this and her life is ruined. I'm assuming that's the case either way.

...and God bless him for sticking with her. Wow, good man.
I worked at the facility.  That was the word.  2 hours after her flu shot, she couldn't move.

Evidently, Guillan-Barre paralysis is a known risk which I think is included in the package insert.

Plus, all those children getting paralyzed across the country for no reason, yet I saw an NIMH article which said the symptoms of AFS paralysis had to come from Guillan-Barre paralysis.  The more children get the flu shot, the more get paralyzed.

In any case, I saw all I need to see.  Nothing could justify the risk to me.  That woman had a beautiful life, a healthy body, a vibrant spirit, and in 2 hours, she was taken down.  She has been in a facility for almost half a year.  Therefore, I have changed my career path to avoid the flu shot myself.  It's one thing to be paralyzed.  But, it's another thing to be paralyzed with potentially fatal diseases.  For example, asthma, hypoglycemia, or anaphylaxis history.   As if a miminum wage CNA is really going to be there right at the moment albuterol is needed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2018/10/16/paralyzing-polio-like-illness-mainly-affecting-children-confirmed-states-cdc-says/?utm_term=.48d3e1fa6012

The CDC admits that GBS is also a potential risk associated with the seasonal influenza vaccine.3 GBS is an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system mistakenly attacks the peripheral nervous system (the network of nerves located outside of the brain and spinal cord), resulting in muscle weakness, sometimes paralysis and breathing difficulties, which in rare cases may lead to death.4 5
https://thevaccinereaction.org/2018/12/nevada-man-diagnosed-with-guillain-barre-syndrome-after-getting-flu-shot/

twistedlogic

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 06:58:22 AM »
Anybody ever use elderberry to treat flu? I've heard it's suppose to be better than the anti-viral drugs available.