Author Topic: The Games We Play  (Read 23742 times)

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
The Games We Play
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:53:20 AM »
Puzzles, board games, computer games, word games, tag, hide & seek.  Whatever you play

I see there's a Video Game thread that looks like it's for console games, so don't want to stomp over that.  You may want to post there for Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo, etc.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
Re: The Games We Play
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 04:02:08 AM »
I've played and collected computer games since the early 80's.  Love em.  But there's still nothing like sitting down outside drinking coffee and doing a Sudoku puzzle or crossword with paper and pencil. 

I've gotten pretty good with Sudoku and stick pretty much to "Hard" to "Very Hard" puzzles.  The ones where I can finish around 1/2 of them but have fun doing them without having to go through the mathematical process of the extremely hard ones.

Crosswords I'm not good at but like doing them.  The big ones I can usually only get one or two answers on.  I'm stupid.  But the easier ones of general knowledge are fun and I can always    usually  sometimes  finish them.

XArea51

• Elluminati
  • The truth is out there. NOT!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 04:16:08 AM »
👍 I like this thread. So many games, so little time! Chess was always a favorite of mine! I prefer playing with people, but enjoy computer versions as well. Same with poker. I'm also a sucker for any of the trivia games out there as well. I've also played a lot of computer games in my day. My first favorite was Myst and all of it sequels. I love a good puzzle/mystery challenge!
♦♦👽♦♦

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 04:17:08 AM »
Anyone else ever play "Kick the Can" in their early years?  An outdoors game kids play like a variation of Hide & Seek.   I thought it was just a local thing but heard it mentioned from people on the other side of the country.

Funny how word got around back then, no internet, long distance phone calls were expensive and they didn't have reality TV shows. 

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 04:19:40 AM »
👍 I like this thread. So many games, so little time! Chess was always a favorite of mine! I prefer playing with people, but enjoy computer versions as well. Same with poker. I'm also a sucker for any of the trivia games out there as well. I've also played a lot of computer games in my day. My first favorite was Myst and all of it sequels. I love a good puzzle/mystery challenge!

Oh man, I love Myst.  I still play that every few years.  There's an online version called Uru, that's sort of player created after they developed it and didn't finish it.  It's pretty neat. It's beautiful and also free.

I like chess myself, but aren't good at it.  I have Battlechess, which was so cool when it came out a loooong time ago.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 04:21:19 AM »
I was a sucker for "Infocom" games.  I used to have every single one.  Not digital form, but real box, manual, trinkets, artwork boxes.  They were so cool back then.  They let your imagination soar for being just a text based game.

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 04:26:15 AM »
Also, approaching the different holidays I re-play certain games that are pretty awesome or are nostalgic.

It's mostly Halloween and start playing them in mid August. 

The 7th Guest
F.E.A.R. 1 and expansions  (not 2 or 3)
Zombie Panic Source
Contagion

There's more, but that's the main ones.  Puts me in the Halloween mood.

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2018, 04:44:33 AM »
Oh man, I love Myst.  I still play that every few years.  There's an online version called Uru, that's sort of player created after they developed it and didn't finish it.  It's pretty neat. It's beautiful and also free.

I like chess myself, but aren't good at it.  I have Battlechess, which was so cool when it came out a loooong time ago.

I used to play Uru too. I even read the three books with the backstory lore. Really good stories! They were supposed to make a movie on the first book a long time ago. It seemed to get lost in production. Too bad! I really wanted to see them portray Uru on the big screen. Exile and Revelation games were my favorites. I've been wanting to try their new game, Obduction, but I hear there are lots of glitches. I'll wait it out and see if it improves.
♦♦👽♦♦

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2018, 04:48:41 AM »
Also, approaching the different holidays I re-play certain games that are pretty awesome or are nostalgic.

It's mostly Halloween and start playing them in mid August. 

The 7th Guest
F.E.A.R. 1 and expansions  (not 2 or 3)
Zombie Panic Source
Contagion

There's more, but that's the main ones.  Puts me in the Halloween mood.

I'm going to have to check these out. Halloween 🎃 is my favorite time of year and anything to enhance that season sounds great to me!
♦♦👽♦♦

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 04:56:41 AM »
Anyone else ever play "Kick the Can" in their early years?  An outdoors game kids play like a variation of Hide & Seek.   I thought it was just a local thing but heard it mentioned from people on the other side of the country.

Funny how word got around back then, no internet, long distance phone calls were expensive and they didn't have reality TV shows.

We never played that, but most of the neighborhood kids in my area would get together and basically reenact Star Wars or a Kingdom with me always somehow playing a lowly serf of some kind. We were a dramatic bunch of kids then! Yeah, word did get around somehow. Probably because we were always outside.
♦♦👽♦♦

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 05:21:45 AM »
But there's still nothing like sitting down outside drinking coffee and doing a Sudoku puzzle or crossword with paper and pencil. 

Nothing?
Really?

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:48 AM »
Nothing?
Really?
Except having sex while cock-rock music is playing in the background?

XArea51

• Elluminati
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 06:30:40 AM »
These were my favorite puzzle rewards:

♦♦👽♦♦

Smeghead

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2018, 08:08:07 AM »
These were my favorite puzzle rewards:

That was a long ride.... Nice...   The creativity they put into these games still amazes me.

StarrMountain

• Hall Of Famer
  • Ellevated
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
Except having sex while cock-rock music is playing in the background?
Hey, you can do that while playing Sudoku, ya know.  Crosswords?  Not so much. ;)