Author Topic: Books I'm reading/listening to  (Read 7722 times)

spacegirl

• KMST
  • ////// CARPE CAELO! //////
Re: Books I'm reading/listening to
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »

Next up is The Wild Trees by Richard Preston.

Hard to believe, isn't it, that a career track called "lichenologist" exists.  Bless you, California (and probably very specifically UC Berkeley).

The arachnid element of the "thriving ecosystem" will forever deny me the experience of that particular hobby!  Utterly content leaving its joys to others.

Art used to laud Preston's The Hot Zone, which Ridley Scott nearly adapted in the 90's and is finally arriving as a series.

This last is an almost total non-sequitur, I know. 

Goomba

• Cuckshacker
  • KMST
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 10:46:30 PM »
Hard to believe, isn't it, that a career track called "lichenologist" exists.  Bless you, California (and probably very specifically UC Berkeley).

The arachnid element of the "thriving ecosystem" will forever deny me the experience of that particular hobby!  Utterly content leaving its joys to others.

Art used to laud Preston's The Hot Zone, which Ridley Scott nearly adapted in the 90's and is finally arriving as a series.

This last is an almost total non-sequitur, I know.

I just can't help but see this kinda stuff as deep state political steering now. Sadly, even Art and Whit's book about the superstorm too. :(

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 11:39:21 PM »
I just can't help but see this kinda stuff as deep state political steering now. Sadly, even Art and Whit's book about the superstorm too. :(

I wish I could see what you imagine deep state planning sessions look like.  I'm picturing something very X-Files.  Dark, smoke-filled.  Ominous soundtrack.

Wouldn't worry yourself overmuch.  Even best selling books (minimum bar = 10,000 copies in print minus copies purchased as gifts minus copies purchased and never read) aren't going to even minutely dent the micro-attention-span electronics-dependent zeitgeist.

We're still on target for an early oblivion.

Goomba

• Cuckshacker
  • KMST
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
I wish I could see what you imagine deep state planning sessions look like.  I'm picturing something very X-Files.  Dark, smoke-filled.  Ominous soundtrack.

Wouldn't worry yourself overmuch.  Even best selling books (minimum bar = 10,000 copies in print minus copies purchased as gifts minus copies purchased and never read) aren't going to even minutely dent the micro-attention-span electronics-dependent zeitgeist.

We're still on target for an early oblivion.

It really sounds like a religion you're preaching, like you actually want that.

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 12:10:47 AM »
It really sounds like a religion you're preaching, like you actually want that.

Nah, I'm what you call "resigned to the facts."  It was in an interview with Art, actually, that George Carlin called us cynics "disappointed idealists." 

No sense crying over the irrecoverable long-gone potential of our post-WWII glory days -- when cars had fins!  I'm not afraid of loss.  Happy to be surprised by gains.

2190 will effect me exactly as much as 1890 does -- that's all oblivion means. 

You sense a design in it, an eminence grise or power behind the throne (your deep state), I sense only momentum. 

If you do want a different outcome, what is it?  I'm curious — and sincere!

Goomba

• Cuckshacker
  • KMST
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 12:18:31 AM »
Nah, I'm what you call "resigned to the facts."  It was in an interview with Art, actually, that George Carlin called us cynics "disappointed idealists." 

No sense crying over the irrecoverable long-gone potential of our post-WWII glory days -- when cars had fins!  I'm not afraid of loss.  Happy to be surprised by gains.

2190 will effect me exactly as much as 1890 does -- that's all oblivion means. 

You sense a design in it, an eminence grise or power behind the throne (your deep state), I sense only momentum. 

If you do want a different outcome, what is it?  I'm curious — and sincere!

Well, not an Elysium for the elite arrived at by sacrificing entire demographics of people. Of course, like any sane person, I want a clean, healthy environment too. However, some of the "facts" you've been resigned to have already been proven to have been fudged for political reasons...and there's your deep state influence. ;)

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 12:45:11 AM »
Well, not an Elysium for the elite arrived at by sacrificing entire demographics of people. Of course, like any sane person, I want a clean, healthy environment too. However, some of the "facts" you've been resigned to have already been proven to have been fudged for political reasons...and there's your deep state influence. ;)

Sounds like we agree.  I don't need environmental data to notice the death throes of the civilization I adore.  It shouldn't be that economic outliers (in the 30-somethings generation) are the only ones able to afford a home — and then, barely.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that cultural memory —history— is being burned away at the altar of "political correctness."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that everywhere pedagogic you turn, including (especially) Wikipedia, the USA is de-emphasized as educational materials become "internationalized."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that the locus of these anti-American concepts are fiercest within America.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that our "pledge of allegiance" includes references to deities; a left-over reaction to "godless communism" instituted in 1954.  So it is.  It shouldn't be rare to find a depiction of the globe showing the Western hemisphere—especially in advertising material—proud and full.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "flat earth" is a living, discussed concept.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that colleges create a mistrust of "capitalism."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "image is everything," to the extent that priceless relics and threatened heritage sites are in danger of disappearing under hordes of selfie-takers.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that there are so many people on this planet.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that people refuse to accept the math of gun=fatality, no gun=bloody nose.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that the home of Zane Grey (on Catalina Island), the beloved Western and adventure novelist, was purchased by a buyer in China.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that I'm the only native Californian in my neighborhood.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that we're not already a space-faring species, vastly multiplying our survival potential and injecting new fun into the game.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "participation awards" are a real thing, divorcing children from any sense of earning.  So it is. 

Etc.

The whole thing is a big dumb machine, a Model T kept in driving condition with endless patches, add-ons and half-fixes.

Goomba

• Cuckshacker
  • KMST
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 12:49:36 AM »
Sounds like we agree.  I don't need environmental data to notice the death throes of the civilization I adore.  It shouldn't be that economic outliers (in the 30-somethings generation) are the only ones able to afford a home — and then, barely.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that cultural memory —history— is being burned away at the altar of "political correctness."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that everywhere pedagogic you turn, including (especially) Wikipedia, the USA is de-emphasized as educational materials become "internationalized."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that the locus of these anti-American concepts are fiercest within America.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that our "pledge of allegiance" includes references to deities; a left-over reaction to "godless communism" instituted in 1954.  So it is.  It shouldn't be rare to find a depiction of the globe showing the Western hemisphere—especially in advertising material—proud and full.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "flat earth" is a living, discussed concept.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that colleges create a mistrust of "capitalism."  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "image is everything," to the extent that priceless relics and threatened heritage sites are in danger of disappearing under hordes of selfie-takers.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that there are so many people on this planet.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that people refuse to accept the math of gun=fatality, no gun=bloody nose.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that the home of Zane Grey (on Catalina Island), the beloved Western and adventure novelist, was purchased by a buyer in China.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that I'm the only native Californian in my neighborhood.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that we're not already a space-faring species, vastly multiplying our survival potential and injecting new fun into the game.  So it is.  It shouldn't be that "participation awards" are a real thing, divorcing children from any sense of earning.  So it is. 

Etc.

The whole thing is a big dumb machine, a Model T kept in driving condition with endless patches, add-ons and half-fixes.

That's not fair! Now you're hitting me right in my Vonnegut. ;)

spacegirl

• KMST
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 12:53:48 AM »
That's not fair! Now you're hitting me right in my Vonnegut. ;)

Billy "Goomba" Pilgrim, accept the things you cannot change . . .

8)

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:37 PM »
"Song of the Vikings" by Nancy Marie Brown. Fascinating biography of Snorri and also how his, and others, Sagas are related to both his political and economic ambitions but also a critique of politics, religion, etc and using mythology (sometimes even creating or modifying it.) And how the skalds (poets) preserved history by their writings and his view on the between poetry, prose, and the Nordic style of "history" versus the Roman/Latin kind of "history." And then on to how he was assassinated but some of his works, luckily, survived.

Also how early English and Germanic scholars appreciated his work and then goes on to compare the far later Wagner and then Hitlerian "spin" on Norsk and Germanic myths. Fascinating read. Also about how the readers needed to appreciate prior knowledge of myths and pre-history to understand much of his writings on the politicians and kings and how he uses them to even poke fun or 'take sides' politically and to advance his, and his famiy's position. The description of the Law, politics, feuds, Kings and Chiefs, and battles are also interesting. Even the architecture and trade (which he was interested in since he was a businessman/lawyer.)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12729824-song-of-the-vikings?from_search=true

https://www.amazon.com/Song-Vikings-Snorri-Making-Norse/dp/1137278870/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532383602&sr=8-1&keywords=song+of+the+vikings

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »
Vistas of Infinity by Jurgen Ziewe

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aldous Burbank

• KNYE
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 03:33:21 PM »

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • HEAPING CUP OF HOLY COW
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
The Speed Bag Bible. Speedbagging is a real addiction, especially something called "Bible Bagging" I can't stop, and I'm awesome at it. Here is a sample (from of the guy who wrote the book) of what i'm talking about. Or, posting about. Check it out!

albrecht

• Ellightened
Tom Clancy
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »
Summertime so likely many have read a Tom Clancy novel at the beach or on an airplane, or have done so in the past. Interesting story about how he got the idea for his break-out novel. We ignore the conspiracy theory with regard to his death, for now.  ;)

"In 1975, a Russian Navy Frigate Mutinied. And It Made Tom Clancy's Career'

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/1975-russian-navy-frigate-mutinied-and-it-made-tom-clancys-career-27472

tootsie_wootsy

• Nursery Resident
  • Ellightened
  • Fuck off, this is not a place to be sweet
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »