Author Topic: I just realized it's basically the same story!  (Read 3434 times)

Robert

• Drone Pilot
Re: I just realized it's basically the same story!
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2021, 07:23:15 AM »
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World and Ocean's 11.  Not only were they the same story, but the idea for the movie -- assemble a bunch of big stars in the respective genres -- was the same too.  They didn't have a lot of ideas in the 1960s, did they?

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
Methuselah's Children, The Martian Shop, and Unbreakable (or the trilogy of Unbreakable, Split, and Glass) are all basically the same story: someone unleashing human potential by showing that a certain accomplishment was possible.  Same with the non-fiction TV series about the Mad Doctor's drive across America.  All it takes is someone to show it can be done.

Unbreakable and Methuselah's Children have an even closer similarity, being based on the idea of finding the extreme tails of the bell curve of human traits.

nooryisawesome

• Elluminati
  • dont like it, watch another channel and go to hell
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2021, 06:30:28 AM »
Dances with wolves is pretty much avatar which is also pocahontas

Deep impact and Armageddon

Robert

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2021, 05:21:23 PM »
Dances with wolves is pretty much avatar which is also pocahontas

Deep impact and Armageddon
I'm not familiar with the first set, but the second are similar to each other in a way much more obvious than I was looking for.  I was hoping people would list stories they'd known for many years, and then suddenly it hit them that they're "basically" the same, with the sameness probably working at a very abstract level.