Author Topic: The Postcard Thread  (Read 511242 times)

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
Re: The Postcard Thread
« Reply #1965 on: March 15, 2020, 12:38:28 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Postmark: March 13, PM, 1971.

Like our motel?
                          From the state of Colorado.  80s
Hi!
  Stayed overnite in Sioux
City, Iowa.  Ate breakfast at
5:30 A. M. there.  Ate dinner
in North Platte, Neb.!
  Beautiful sunshine!  Warm
out too!  We are in Colo now.
180 miles from Denver.
  Trip has been real good so far.
Am glad Uncle Jim is along.
Wish we could have you along
too.
  Have seen a few cowboy hats
around and lots of beautiful scenery.
It's pretty hard to write this while
in the car.
Don't know when I'll see you.
Take care & write soon.
                              Love - Linda

Ah! She sounds like she’s having an adventure! I love it!
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1966 on: March 16, 2020, 11:49:14 PM »

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1967 on: March 17, 2020, 11:35:48 PM »

Another French postcard.  This one shows the British artist J. R. Smith.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Raphael_Smith

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1968 on: March 18, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »

Another French postcard.  This one shows the British artist J. R. Smith.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Raphael_Smith

Judging by the expression of the guy in the middle, Mr Smith has applied paint to his left shoulder.   :D

PolkaDot

• Sass Machine
  • Ellevated
  • Please forgive me, I was raised by wolves.
« Reply #1969 on: March 18, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
Judging by the expression of the guy in the middle, Mr Smith has applied paint to his left shoulder.   :D
:D
There was a little girl,
            Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
            When she was good,
            She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1970 on: March 18, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »

Nothing painted on the canvas.  Is that three J.R.'s at different ages, there?

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1971 on: March 18, 2020, 04:25:55 PM »
Nothing painted on the canvas.  Is that three J.R.'s at different ages, there?

I can't make out what they are holding.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1972 on: March 18, 2020, 11:06:01 PM »
I can't make out what they are holding.

The old man (or J.R.?) on the left might be holding a sculpturing hammer.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1973 on: March 18, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »

This might possibly be the third oldest postcard in my collection.  The postmark reads Chicago, Illinois, 7:30 PM, 1895.

The receipt was dated and initialed on April 6, 1895.  I found some pictures that show Mr. Gamer, his relatives, the furniture store, an ad and his final resting spot.  (The site uses cookies.)   https://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000031013360199?album_type=photos_of_me&end=&photo_id=6000000032718537985&project_id=&start=&tagged_profiles=

anniem

• Ellevated
« Reply #1974 on: March 18, 2020, 11:37:26 PM »

This might possibly be the third oldest postcard in my collection.  The postmark reads Chicago, Illinois, 7:30 PM, 1895.

The receipt was dated and initialed on April 6, 1895.  I found some pictures that show Mr. Gamer, his relatives, the furniture store, an ad and his final resting spot.  (The site uses cookies.)   https://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000031013360199?album_type=photos_of_me&end=&photo_id=6000000032718537985&project_id=&start=&tagged_profiles=

Like postcard, like photos

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1975 on: March 19, 2020, 02:28:25 AM »
Dinner and a play at the Waldorf

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1976 on: March 19, 2020, 02:39:12 AM »
The Earl of Pawtucket
A comedy in three acts

Opening 23 March 1903 at the Manhattan Theatre, the Broadway play by Augustus Thomas ran for 191 performances.

Lord Cardington has run away to America from England to avoid a summons from the House of Lords and to see how well he can survive without his title. He assumes the identity of a certain Putnam, an American he had befriended in England. He begins to woo Harriet Fordyce, unaware that she is the former Mrs Putnam. A further complication develops when, because Putnam was the last person seen together with Lord Cardington before his mysterious disappearance, Putnam is suspected of his murder. The fake Putnam now finds himself pursued by the police. In a further comic twist, he is also hounded by lawyers demanding alimony from the very woman he is intending to marry. Eventually, all the complications are resolved, and his lordship settles down to a happy future as an American commoner and husband to an amused Harriet.

Rikki Gins

• Ellevated
  • Alias John Manning
« Reply #1977 on: March 19, 2020, 03:23:12 AM »
The Earl of Pawtucket
A comedy in three acts

Opening 23 March 1903 at the Manhattan Theatre, the Broadway play by Augustus Thomas ran for 191 performances.

Lord Cardington has run away to America from England to avoid a summons from the House of Lords and to see how well he can survive without his title. He assumes the identity of a certain Putnam, an American he had befriended in England. He begins to woo Harriet Fordyce, unaware that she is the former Mrs Putnam. A further complication develops when, because Putnam was the last person seen together with Lord Cardington before his mysterious disappearance, Putnam is suspected of his murder. The fake Putnam now finds himself pursued by the police. In a further comic twist, he is also hounded by lawyers demanding alimony from the very woman he is intending to marry. Eventually, all the complications are resolved, and his lordship settles down to a happy future as an American commoner and husband to an amused Harriet.

It would have been so fun to sit at a dining table and watch this play unfold while you were enjoying a delicious three or four course meal at a fancy restaurant like the Palm Room.  Almost like an interactive play, when the acting itself was taking place in a restaurant.  Sadly, the original Waldorf-Astoria was closed down so that the rooms can be converted into...gasp...condominiums.   
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/waldorf-astoria-new-york-photos/

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1978 on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »

It would have been so fun to sit at a dining table and watch this play unfold while you were enjoying a delicious three or four course meal at a fancy restaurant like the Palm Room.  Almost like an interactive play, when the acting itself was taking place in a restaurant.  Sadly, the original Waldorf-Astoria was closed down so that the rooms can be converted into...gasp...condominiums.   
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/waldorf-astoria-new-york-photos/

According to your link, the original was two hotels that ended up being connected a few years after they were built.  They were demolished in 1929 to make room for the construction of the Empire State Building.  Another Waldorf-Astoria was built nearby.  This postcard was of the original hotel.

It doesn't say the postcard was issued by the hotel itself, but it seems like the image would be owned by them.  I wonder if the person who mailed the postcard in Seattle attended the play?

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #1979 on: March 19, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
It would have been so fun to sit at a dining table and watch this play unfold while you were enjoying a delicious three or four course meal at a fancy restaurant like the Palm Room.  Almost like an interactive play, when the acting itself was taking place in a restaurant...

Is the lady in yellow at the far left playing the role of Harriet Fordyce?  Which one is Putnam?