Poll

Giraffes interest me because:

I keep seeing them everywhere.
1 (10%)
I dated someone who looked like a giraffe.
1 (10%)
It is my totem animal.
2 (20%)
That whole neck thing.
1 (10%)
Head knobs. It's all about the head knobs.
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Giraffe Sightings  (Read 5951 times)

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
Re: Giraffe Sightings
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
What are the rules here in this thread? I have a totally obnoxious Giraffe story but I didn't see it personally.  Does that fit in or not?

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2021, 04:54:30 PM »
What are the rules here in this thread? I have a totally obnoxious Giraffe story but I didn't see it personally.  Does that fit in or not?

The IBM Selectric sightings thread evolved into the subject of typewriters in general.

I'm good with a giraffe story in itself being a  sighting, even if secondhand ( AKA giraffe hearsay ), tattoo sightings, bad day at the zoo sightings... Cloud sightings. A giraffe joke off Bob Newhart...., statues. Shirts. Mugs. Rubber stamps. The son of a guns are everywhere.

A minor jackpot will be if Noory or his guest suddenly talks about giraffes.

( I don't listen to C2C much these nights, so I would appreciate someone posting if that does happen.  I can easily  imagine George.

"How about those giraffes? They have really long necks. I mean, really long. Don't they?" )

KSM

• Runneth Over
  • Ellevated
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
    • Real Bad Radio
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2021, 06:45:32 PM »
The IBM Selectric sightings thread evolved into the subject of typewriters in general.

I'm good with a giraffe story in itself being a  sighting, even if secondhand ( AKA giraffe hearsay ), tattoo sightings, bad day at the zoo sightings... Cloud sightings. A giraffe joke off Bob Newhart...., statues. Shirts. Mugs. Rubber stamps. The son of a guns are everywhere.

( I don't listen to C2C much these nights, so I would appreciate someone posting if that does happen.  I can easily  imagine George.

"How about those giraffes? They have really long necks. I mean, really long. Don't they?" )
Your new rules allow for breathing room.

BEHOLD

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
... ( I don't listen to C2C much these nights, so I would appreciate someone posting if that does happen.  I can easily  imagine George.

George can't pronounce giraffe.

PB

• Ellevated
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
Hey, wait a minute.  I once fed giraffes at Marine World (now sadly renamed Six Flags Discovery Kingdom).

From a wooden platform, handing out leaves to deserving giraffes, it may have been the highlight of my zoo-going career.  Just before playing soccer that day with an elephant pup (calf?), but after the butterfly habitat.

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2021, 06:58:10 PM »
Jorch - “Remember that TV show with that Merlin Parkins guy, Tommee?”

Tommee - “You mean Wild Kingdom?”

Jorch - “That might be it!  I remember it was sponsored by Mutual of Omaha Steaks or sumptheen.   I use to like watching those lions pounce on those giraffes, when I wuz a kid.”

Tommee - “Were you a mean kid, George?”

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »

Well okay then we'll go with it. The Detroit Zoo isn't actually in the City of Detroit, it is in Royal Oak which is about two miles north of Detroit. The pen for the giraffes is rather unique in that it has an Egyptian theme with ancient Egyptian style drawings of animals, hieroglyphics and Pharaohs overlooking the action:

Years and years ago when I first started working, I had an older co-worker and I got to talking with him. He always seemed like the uptight type and he looked rather like Michael Douglas in Falling Down. White, short sleeved shirt, tie, brush cut - the whole "failure is not a option" kind of 60's NASA vibe. He asked me where I was from and after chatting a bit we established that we were both from the Detroit area. Somehow the conversation came around to which hospital I was born at. After I told him, he said "That was is a nice place. I woke up there after being in a coma for three days once. Tried to jump a couple of Studebakers on my motorcycle and didn't make it". At which point I decided that he was a wild man.

So I explored this a bit in the time to come. Got him talking some more this one time and learned that he used to live about two blocks from the Detroit Zoo as a kid. So of course he knew how to sneak in after closing and he'd cook around the Zoo exploring some. This one time, him and his buddies got into some booze and got hammered. They then snuck into the Zoo and climbed up on that Pharaoh enclosure shown in the picture. They then started whipping lit firecrackers at the giraffes.  As you can imagine, giraffes don't take to kindly to fire crackers exploding around them so they stampeded. Which of course got the guards attention and they got chased but the guy was fat and they were able to leg it over to Rackham Golf Course next door. The cops showed up and were using the spot lights on their cruisers to try an nab them but eventually gave up as the lads had dug into the sand traps and hid themselves pretty well.

About the only giraffe story I have.

TigerLily

• Official Muse
  • Ellevated
  • Founder Art's Tarts and Legacy Bart's Bitchen Babe
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2021, 10:30:59 PM »

The moment I've been waiting for. @Walks_At_Night  and @Camazotz Automat  sharing stories. Giraffes a bonus
Angel in Training  Words of Wisdom: "Play along or go to Hell"

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 11:52:03 PM »
These giraffe statues are in Rockville Maryland. They are tucked into a courtyard between two buildings in a research park. They used to be in a more public area somewhere in DC if I understand the story correctly but someone complained about the testicles. So they were relocated here.
Are we having fun yet?

Camazotz Automat

• Drone Pilot
    • The Shaver Mystery
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2021, 12:12:23 PM »
Well okay then we'll go with it. The Detroit Zoo isn't actually in the City of Detroit, it is in Royal Oak which is about two miles north of Detroit. The pen for the giraffes is rather unique in that it has an Egyptian theme with ancient Egyptian style drawings of animals, hieroglyphics and Pharaohs overlooking the action:

Years and years ago when I first started working, I had an older co-worker and I got to talking with him. He always seemed like the uptight type and he looked rather like Michael Douglas in Falling Down. White, short sleeved shirt, tie, brush cut - the whole "failure is not a option" kind of 60's NASA vibe. He asked me where I was from and after chatting a bit we established that we were both from the Detroit area. Somehow the conversation came around to which hospital I was born at. After I told him, he said "That was is a nice place. I woke up there after being in a coma for three days once. Tried to jump a couple of Studebakers on my motorcycle and didn't make it". At which point I decided that he was a wild man.

So I explored this a bit in the time to come. Got him talking some more this one time and learned that he used to live about two blocks from the Detroit Zoo as a kid. So of course he knew how to sneak in after closing and he'd cook around the Zoo exploring some. This one time, him and his buddies got into some booze and got hammered. They then snuck into the Zoo and climbed up on that Pharaoh enclosure shown in the picture. They then started whipping lit firecrackers at the giraffes.  As you can imagine, giraffes don't take to kindly to fire crackers exploding around them so they stampeded. Which of course got the guards attention and they got chased but the guy was fat and they were able to leg it over to Rackham Golf Course next door. The cops showed up and were using the spot lights on their cruisers to try an nab them but eventually gave up as the lads had dug into the sand traps and hid themselves pretty well.

About the only giraffe story I have.

Yep. Definitely glad we are now using a more inclusive definition of "giraffe sightings." Hahaha.

The surreal Egyptian factor is worth the price of admission alone.

I will respond to the other posts of giraffe coolness when I am a free man again.

The Tuesday black/new moon has left several residual crisis situations.

I kid. I think.

Jayzelady

• Ellevated
  • Look out, choc bunny. Your ears will soon be mine!
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2021, 12:13:46 PM »
Our giraffe story is a sad one. 😢 He was named for LSU’s Joe Burrow.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

https://www.wbrz.com/news/baton-rouge-zoo-announces-death-of-burreaux-the-giraffe

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2021, 12:22:23 PM »
Our giraffe story is a sad one. 😢 He was named for LSU’s Joe Burrow.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

https://www.wbrz.com/news/baton-rouge-zoo-announces-death-of-burreaux-the-giraffe
“Zoo staff said the animal had recently developed a cough...”

Gads, struck down by Corona Coof?
AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2021, 12:27:44 PM »
“Zoo staff said the animal had recently developed a cough...”

Gads, struck down by Corona Coof?

Not impossible. The Zoos have been jabbing the high dollar critters:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/us/zoo-animal-covid-vaccine-trnd/index.html

ItsOver

• Ellevated
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
Not impossible. The Zoos have been jabbing the high dollar critters:
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/us/zoo-animal-covid-vaccine-trnd/index.html
This critter looks like he’s having a great time.

AntaÅ­en kamaradoj!

🤡 🌎 🤡 🌍 🤡 🌎

Walks_At_Night

• Hall Of Famer, Morg!
  • Ellevated
  • Morg!
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2021, 01:23:04 PM »
This critter looks like he’s having a great time.

What is that? A weasel? So much for high dollar assets! I was under the impression it for the big dollar guys but I guess not.