Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 302921 times)

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
  • My favorite breed is Rescue
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
Speaking of ECHL teams. We recently have been given a team.
I haven't really paid much attention to the ECHL and always thought of it as a place where AHL rejects go to die  :P
I'm sure this team will garner a lot of support though. We've had multiple AHL teams here and a junior team. But the travel between the AHL farm team and NHL big clubs seems to always be a knock against us.   
I have grown to really like many of the minor league teams in various sports. We have local teams in the ECHL for hockey, the NPSL for soccer, and a minor league baseball team. The flavor of the games are a bit different from their major league counterparts but it seems the participants play with more heart and just as much enthusiasm as if they were in the major leagues. The fans who attend the games are just as engaged and excited as they are at a major league game, although in much lower numbers. Minor league games also are less expensive and give a closer view of the action on the field. I find it as much fun as a major league event.

The only major league team we have is an NFL team but I have lost much of my interest in them for various reasons. The local buzz is they are already talking Super Bowl this year for the first time ever (MUCH too early for the way they are talking as they have only played two games and a lot has yet to happen). But the local hype and some of the drama that has been going on is a turnoff.

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2018, 03:35:09 PM »
What are the Flyers thinking?  LOL!  Meet their new mascot!  It's name is Gritty!

The origin story of the mascot, available on the team’s website , says that “his father was a ‘bully.’” — a possible nod to the Flyers teams of the 1970s, who were known as the “Broad Street Bullies.”

It goes on to describe him as “talented but feisty, a fierce competitor.” He’s also “mischievous; the ultimate Flyers fan who loves the orange and black, but is unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team.”

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

GravitySucks

• Hall Of Famer!
  • Ellevated
  • Backup assistant deputy administrator in training
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2018, 03:38:27 PM »
What are the Flyers thinking?  LOL!  Meet their new mascot!  It's name is Gritty!

The origin story of the mascot, available on the team’s website , says that “his father was a ‘bully.’” — a possible nod to the Flyers teams of the 1970s, who were known as the “Broad Street Bullies.”

It goes on to describe him as “talented but feisty, a fierce competitor.” He’s also “mischievous; the ultimate Flyers fan who loves the orange and black, but is unwelcoming to anyone who opposes his team.”

Is that trostol’s new gig?
Are we having fun yet?

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »

It's kind of cute and funny in its own way. I can envision the face being someone's avatar here :) I think many team mascots are made by elementary school students. Our minor league baseball team has a giant jumbo shrimp named Shrimpy for a mascot. Then again maybe it is kindergarten students making them up...

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2018, 03:46:47 PM »
Is that trostol’s new gig?

Bahahahahahaha!!!!!  ;D

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
This is Pembroke, Massatwotits?

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »

Hippie Youppi!

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »

Reminds me of Bigfoot  :D
and the Habs mascot - Flyers are so original  :P

Wrong sport but whatever we're talking mascots.. this was hilarious.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
This is Pembroke, Massatwotits?

I remember a sports documentary on sports players who had suffered injuries and then became addicted to painkillers and he was one of the players they mentioned. It's great to hear of his turnaround now. Many sports players who end up addicted to painkillers deteriorate and end up dead or endure the rest of their lives in misery. It sounds like Kevin is one of the lucky few who have found the leverage necessary to create a better life from the depths of addiction. Although it is probably a daily battle, it sounds like he is winning...

HumanBeing

• Elluminati
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 09:21:40 PM »

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »
It's clear that Gritty is going to be a topic throughout the season.  I'm fine with that.  ;D

ShayP

• Ellevated
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 08:22:56 AM »
Two more days!

The NHL's 2018-19 regular season will commence Wednesday, Oct. 3rd   8)

Bart Ell

• Shithead
  • Ellevated
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
Jesperi Kotkaniemi will become the first 2000’s born athlete to play in any of the four North American pro sports leagues.

Yes, you are old.

MaxPower

• Drone Pilot
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
Jesperi Kotkaniemi will become the first 2000’s born athlete to play in any of the four North American pro sports leagues.

Yes, you are old.
He definitely has the basics down and that intangible sense of play and at only 18, with some real game playing experience, and if he can remain grounded and focused, he could develop into a superstar. Some were critical of his selection but he deserves some significant play time to mature.

albrecht

• Ellightened
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 06:36:10 PM »
Crosby already bitching about Wilson.  ;D